Can you please explain what the stele is in the new group photo??

  • christof139
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
      Neal, Can you please explain what the stele is in the new group photo??
      I am guessing that it is Summerian or Syrian in origin.

      Also, concerning the roped or chained together Perian levies: have
      been searching on the inet. without luck. It is unfortunate thet the
      Society of Ancients site is no longer open to the public becuase this
      info. is there, and there are many people with PhD's in History and
      Military History etc. and other knowledgeable and educated people there.

      I am thinking that maybe Thucydides wrote of this concerning the time
      of Cyrus the Great, but I am not sure. I do believe almost positively
      that this is mentioned concerning Sassanid times, but then again this
      could in truth be Greek and Roman propoganda. I remember that the use
      of rope is however highly probable during one battle, just when and
      where is the question. Throughout the history of the Persians and other
      nations, sometimes drastic measures were take to ensure that unwilling
      poor peasant conscripts would be present on the battlefield!! Even in
      modern times similar drastic measures have been and are taken.

      I also know I have reference to this in the books I have, but I simply
      cannot find it!!!!!!!!!

      BTW, I didn't know I was a 'corporate spy from a big corporation'
      concerning enviro issues!!! Ghastly!!! Maybe I work for 'Big Brother",
      but I don't think I was mentioned in G. Orwell's book '1984' either.

      Chris
    • ancientarcheology
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- In ancientarcheology@yahoogroups.com, "christof139"
        <christof139@h...> wrote:
        > Neal, Can you please explain what the stele is in the new group
        photo??
        > I am guessing that it is Summerian or Syrian in origin.
        >
        > It's the Code of Hammurabi (Babylonian); it was discovered by a
        French expedition in 1901, whose leader Father Vincent Scheil, later
        translated it. It is the only code known to have been inscribed on a
        stele.
      • christof139
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          Thank you very much. I first thought that it was Hammurabi, but the
          headgear was not making the right impression to me. This is very famous
          and well known artifact!!

          Thanx again, Chris

          --- In ancientarcheology@yahoogroups.com, "ancientarcheology"