Greetings

  • Vanessa N Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
      Hi,

      I found your group and wondered if anyone is active?

      I'm interested in this topic generally but I'm a total amateur,
      relegated to reading about it (rather than doing it). I started as a
      classics major in college and ended up as a comparative religion
      major (Christianity, Judaism and Islam). I'm rather well travelled
      and managed to go all over the Persian Gulf to see some
      archaelogical sites 6 months before 9/11.

      Tell me about yourselves.

      Best,

      Vanessa
    • Alessandro DeAngelis
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2004

        Hi Vanessa, Nice to see someone interested in this topic. the founder of this group and I had the occasion to study in Jordan out of Amman (through a University of Central Florida study abroad trip) a little while after 9/11, in the summer of 2002. We saw some nice archeological remains and artifacts from local museums. I was amazed by the layers upon layers of civilization one on top of the other, this would lead me to think that you can never excavate everything over there. we learned another interesting fact when we were over there_Saudi Arabia bans archeoligical Digs_  Feel free to e-mail anything new and exciting or just to chat, peace, alex de Angelis (dhanialex@...)

        P.S. What University are you attending?

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Vanessa N Weber
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
          Hi Alex,

          I had to chuckle about your question, "what university are you attending.?" None, anymore. I wish I were at times, other times definitely not.
          My background, in brief, is that I started out in the classics department at Connecticut College, switched to Classical Civilization (more than Latin and Greek, including history, sociology, mythology etc), and then went on a Junior Year Abroad program to Athens, Greece. Instead of concentrating on classical archaeology, I was drawn to the study of Mediterranean religions and found myself studying Judaism, Christianity and Islam. On the way home I went to the Ancient site of Carthage in Tunisia after writing a paper on the different peoples who had populated North Africa in ancient times. I transferred to Barnard College (Columbia U) when I returned to the U.S. where I became a religion major (Western). I took courses in Old Testament, New Testament, Early Christianity, Medieval History and the Arab Conquests. I wrote my senior thesis comparing Mithraism and Christianity and why Christianity succeeded and Mithraism failed. I was very interested in the early Christian mystery cults...
          Ultimately, I founded a little volunteer agency when I was 25 that educated the public about cults, and helped families in distress. I attended Union Theological Seminary for a couple of years getting more grounded in theology and biblical exegesis. Then I ended up getting my Masters in Social Work from Yeshiva University, and almost a doctorate.
          I adopted two children a couple of years ago, as a 47 year old single (divorced) mom. Before I did, I took a luxury cruise to the Persian Gulf with a bunch of retired Yalies and some professors (archaeology, anthropology, history and government). We went all over the place; Kuwait, Iran, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE and Oman. We visited both ancient and modern points of interest and had lectures on the boat. It was heaven. My favorite part of the trip was Shiraz in Iran, where we saw the palace of Darius and the tomb of Cyrus the Great.
          My kids are from Kazakhstan, so I've been doing a fair amount of reading on Central Asian history (the Mongols etc.).
          Today I'm trying to start up a new agency for families after they adopt children. I also breed toy dogs as a hobby. I'm now trying to introduce my children to things like the legends of the Greeks and Romans, and the burial of Pompeii (my almost 7 year old daughter actually seems somewhat interested in this!).
          I also dated one of my professors who is an expert on the Ancient Near East (we dated twice but never married). We are not dating anymore. So let's just say that I have a serious interest in the history of the Mediterranean Basin, the Middle Ages and more recently a budding interest in the history of Central Asia. I have gone on a couple of digs over the years but just for a day here or there. One was a roman site in England, the other an Arawak site in Antigua (BWI). I am interested in archaeology broadly speaking more than I am interested in doing digs on a day to day basis.
          I also have studied and speak (or read) different levels of French, German, Modern Greek, Latin, Italian, Dutch and a little Russian. I sort of overloaded on languages in college and didn't do well on Ancient Greek but understand a little bit. Sometimes I wish I read Hebrew (and/or Arabic). I know a few letters but that's about it. Having grown up in NYC, I'm familiar with a fair amount of Yiddish.

          Vanessa