Hormizd I and Bahram I

  • Neal Robbins
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2005

          Hormizd I and Bahram I were kings of the Sassanian dynasty of Persia. Both had short reigns. Hormizd I was a son of Shapur I and ruled 272-273 A.D. Hormizd had served as governor of Khorasan while his father was king. In addition, he had accompanied Shapur on military campaigns against the Romans. An ancient Persian text says that Hormizd was the son of a daughter of Mithrak. The manuscript says that Mithrak was a prominent Persian whose family was slaughtered by Ardashir I, the founder of the Sassanian dynasty. Ardashir supposedly committed this atrocity because Magian priests had predicted that the restorer of the Persian empire would come from Mithrak's blood. The story says that a peasant saved the life of a daughter of Mithrak. Shapur I (the son and successor of Ardashir I)saw the woman and decided to marry her. She then bore Hormizd.
          After ruling for a year and a half, Hormizd died. His brother Bahram I became king and ruled 274-277 A.D. Bahram cruelly executed the propher Mani, who was the founder of Manichaeism. Hardly anything else is known of his reign. Bahram I died and his son Bahram II became king.
          The name Bahram comes from Varahran; it is the later form of the name Verethragna, who was the Persian god of victory. Verethragna was "the killer of the dragon Verethra. Bahram is also the Persian name for the planet Mars.

      Neal Robbins

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!