The passing of Fred Rydholm; +Farewell and tribute letters

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2009
      Ancient Waterways Society members and friends,
      Sorry for the blank earlier post.  Below are Judy Johnson's/AAPS messages. Apologies for typos which are worsening.  The slight loss in eyesight the past few months may be attributed as a small side effect to the blood clot I self treated, though hopefully left no other damage.  MSE
      Thanks Lee, Judi, Ted, Martin , and now Zena for your fine posts in regard to the passing of Fred Rydholm. I too will miss him very much, a person who influenced me beyond my abilities to state.

      It is my birthday today,  a 100 year old neighbor friend drove me to a special birthday dinner or I'd have sent the two letters sent earlier by Ancient Artifact Preservation Society (AAPS) secretary, Judy Johnson.  I've uploaded the AAPS Tribute to Fred Rydholm she sent into our site's Files.

      Many here who attended the October, 2008 AAPS conference in Marquette, Michigan with Fred had the privilege of sharing his enjoyment of the wonderful tributes paid him, including the one presented by AWS members & filmmakers Lee and Joy Pennington, which they have on DVD via JoLeProductions:   http://www.joleproductions.com/catalog.php

      Fred enjoyed these celebrations as much as anyonem, said he was glad his tributes took place while he could re-live the times, laugh, share good stories amongst so many of his friends.  And 'thank as many as he could remember in person', he told me on the phone.

      Fred was pleased to be among three or four other diffusionist researchers he knew well for whose focus this Ancient Waterways Society web group originally derived its name.  In fact, he was the main speaker at an Ancient Earthworks Society meeting at the UW-Madison when I'd met MinnesotaStan, which led to Stan's  founding of this web group, one that UK resident/member Rev. Pam Giese and I were wanting to make a global association for many years.  Fred Rydholm was also guest of honor at that particular Ancient Earthworks event earlier at the home of club president Tom Solberg's and field trip to Madison area effigy mounds which were led by AWS members/surveyors Larry Johns & Dr. James Scherz.

      Fred never had an email address nor accessed the Internet or web groups, but attended any activity associated with Ancient Waterways Society,  before we even had a web site.  He snuck off alone to the Ancient Waterway weekend gathering last May at a Lake Superior resort---a few hours' drive from Marquette to Copper Harbor--- dispite strict orders by his doctors and family.  Wanted to be part of the three day weekend of fireside speeches, homemade food, and warm stories within rustic settings along Lake Superior that were always his favorite times.   When Fred knew  so many were investing time and expense to drive to the Keweenaw Peninsula--some for their very first trip, he was the sole representative from the "UP" that he loved so much.  The out of state people who gathered (and we may do one again in a couple of years in the Keweenaw):

      Lee & Joy Pennington of Louisville, KY filming their upcoming documentary on ancient copper.
      Vince & Sherry Barrows  drove from St. Louis
      Rick & Pat Osman- SW Indiana
      Old research friends of Fred, author Roger Jewell drove from Pennsylvania
      Rock art photographer (Jeffers Site & Peterborough), Chuch Bailey- Duluth
      Dr. Jim Scherz- Madison
      Scott Wolter w/diving friends-C. Minnesota
      Char Bruns-Ottawa, Canada
      David Hoffman-N. Wisconsin...

      A Google Search of Fred Rydholm (others too under C. Fred Rydholm) produces hundred, maybe thousands of links, brief references, he got around so much. Ted you might find a site to your inquiry here:

      Regardless whether folks here were acquanited personally....you may very well get to know this warm and wondrous man through his writings, friends, or perhaps his beloved AAPS foundation which continues on in his honor with his courageous and extensive reseache efforts, his hopes, dreams, and especially those following ancient Great Lakes & trans-continental waterways to global ports beyond.  Fred emphasized this ancient trade as always being a two-way 'highway' w/Native American navigators as well as seafarers from Asia, Europe which he called "Northmen" rather than Vikings. His research included peoples from all across the globe.

      Along the ancient, transcontinental waterway many are calling "The Copper Road", there some of you might very well find Fred Rydholm sometimes 'at the helm'......
      MSE
      Farewell Fred Rydholm
      Monday, April 6, 2009 1:02 PM
      From: "Judy's Paper Goods" judyspapergoods@...

      Dear Friends of AAPS,

      It is with great sadness that we report the passing of a great man, C. Fred Rydholm.
      Please go to this page on our website to read the tribute and obituary.

      Fred passed at home, in his sleep, Saturday evening at 7:00 pm, at the very same time June was saying her part at their son, Dan's wedding at Bay Cliff, in the room we've had 3 of our Conferences on Ancient America. June muffed her words, at the exact time Fred passed, indicating that deep in her heart she knew he had left...maybe to attend the wedding after all.

      The family requests the bequests in Fred's memory go to AAPS or to the Yellow Dog preservation action.

      It's up to each and every one of us to keep Fred's vision of a diffusionist museum alive and active until it becomes actuality.

      I can write no more at this time,...so sad.

      Love, Judy

      Judy M Johnson, Sec. AAPS (Prev. AAAPF)
      Ancient Artifact Preservation Society
      PO box 216, Skandia MI 49885
      ph 906-942-7865
      * 5th Annual AAPS Conference on Ancient America
      Marquette Michigan, Sept 24-27th, 2009
      * Conf. on Ancient Copper, July 10-12, 2009, Houghton

      www.aaapf.org

      Tributes to Fred

      Monday, April 6, 2009 1:24 PM
      From: "Judy's Paper Goods" judyspapergoods@...

      Any memories and tributes you want to share about Fred Rydholm will be put on our website on a special page.

      Send your messages to me, and I'll copy them and put on the site.

      Thank you,
      Love, Judy

      Judy M Johnson, Sec. AAPS (Prev. AAAPF)
      Ancient Artifact Preservation Society
      PO box 216, Skandia MI 49885
      ph 906-942-7865
      * 5th Annual AAPS Conference on Ancient America
      Marquette Michigan, Sept 24-27th, 2009
      * Conf. on Ancient Copper, July 10-12, 2009, Houghton
      www.aaapf.org

      THE ATLANTIC CONFERENCE.org
      http://www.atlanticconference.org/

      "The ancient scientific and spiritual wisdom that has shaped our past and still influences our future is part of a forgotten and often hidden system that reaches back beyond the current established religions, further than Ancient Egypt into an age where Mankind lived in harmony with Nature."
      Crichton Miller, from his book The Golden Thread of Time