Hanwakan Center Spring 2009 Meeting Link to the Niagara Dolomites & Escarpment

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009

      At the library following a computer class, it took considerable time w/help from the instructor for the masterful web site  (3751 KB) w/photos that Vince has created to come up:

      application/vnd.ms-powerpointRock Art of Wickes, Missouri1.ppt
      A presentation on Rock Art of Wickes, Missouri

      Am being bumped off by others on a waiting list, so have to wait until another day, the file far too large for my home computer to open. ___________________

      Rec'd this email announcement from Herman Bender today of an upcoming meeting of the

      http://www.hanwakan.org/with subject matter much related to "ancient waterways" that some of you might be interested in.   I've not attended any of their meetings but I believe assoc. prof. Margaret from our group has.   I will attend only if a family birthday party can be rescheduled in Madison.

       Hello all,   Please note:

      Hanwakan Center Spring 2009 Meeting

      The spring meeting of the Hanwakan Center for Prehistoric Astronomy, Cosmology and Cultural Landscape Studies, Inc. has been confirmed on:

      April 18, 2008 at
       Marsh Haven Nature Center

      http://www.marshhaven.com/

      Because an official Wisconsin State Resolution was passed in March declaring 2010 the Year of the Niagara Escarpment, we will be kicking off the first `pre-event' by exploring the geology, cultural landscape and history along with a broader perspective of the human interaction and ecopsychology of the escarpment. The name comes from the Niagara River which plunges over the edge of the Niagara escarpment to form Niagara Falls. If we could run a huge river over the edge here in Wisconsin in some places, we would create the Niagara Falls of the west!

      The Niagara escarpment is a huge physical landscape feature composed of dolomite and limestone surrounding the Great Lakes basin. It is also a part of the broader cultural landscape where the natural attributes and vistas afforded from its heights are something people have been aware of for thousands of years. But it is more than natural attributes and vistas that attracted the ancient Native American inhabitants to both seek and revere special places on the edge of the escarpment.  We will explore a 'vision quest' site where the "phenomenal attributes" contributed to help create the 'sacred' and how or why the early inhabitants were first drawn to and then transformed by it.  Did you know that the second oldest forest in North America is located on the extreme edge of the escarpment?  One speciment collected on the edge recorded the Maunder Minimum or mini-Ice Age event of the 17th century.

      We also plan to have some great fossils there collected from the escarpment, approximate age, 400,000,000 years old!

      Speakers for this event will be:

      • Rickard Ackley
      • Herman Bender
      • Jim Uhrinak
      • Donna Boelk
      • Dennis Merritt
      • ?????  We welcome suggestions

      The conference will begin at approximately 9:00 a.m.  Please bring a dish to pass for the noon pot-luck and like at past events, we can get together afterward at Helen's Kitchen in Waupun.  As always, anyone is welcome to attend and you need not be a member of the Hanwakan Center although we are always happy to sign up new ones!

      The conference will begin at approximately 9:00 a.m.  Please bring a dish to pass for the noon pot-luck and like at past events, we can get together afterward at Helen's Kitchen in Waupun.  As always, anyone is welcome to attend and you need not be a member of the Hanwakan Center although we are always happy to sign up new ones!

      Please email Herman Bender at ashco@... or call 920-922-7182 with any questions.   Directions to Marsh Haven can be found on our website: www.hanwakan.org or simply drive a few miles west of Waupun on Hwy. 49 and it is on the north side of the road on the east edge of the Horicon Marsh.

      Hope to see you there,

      Herman

      (attachement w/letter)

      Link to the Niagara Dolomites & Escarpment:

      http://webmail.aol.com/42169/aol/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.24369680&folder=Inbox&partId=4