Fwd: Copper ingot at NMAI

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2009
      In the DC Museum of the Native American

      Begin forwarded message:

      Subject: Copper ingot at NMAI

      Copper ingot at NMAI
      Photo I took when I was in Washington, DC

    • herbswoods
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
        Photo of NMAI copper doesn't show up for me.

        Is this the famous Ontonagon copper rock removed from its ancient resting place in 1843 and taken to Washington, D.C.? Or it some other copper mass? Sure would like to see it....

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
          Ted,

          Thanks for emailing me the photo.

          It's not the Ontonagon mass as I thought it might be. Rather looks like a tool or implement of some kind from the regular shape. Hard to tell the size exactly, but like Ted said in his email it doesn't seem to be very large.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2009
            I think it is the kind they would have taken for transport. It is about the size of some that were on exhibit actually from a shipwreck form the Medeterranian Sea that were exhibited recently in the Metropolitan in NY.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
              If that copper piece is big (taking two men to lift) then I would tend to agree with you. Because it certainly is shaped like something that would lie in place in the bottom of a boat or large transport canoe. From the photo, however, it's hard to ascertain the size of the piece. Because of the letters on the exhibit, it looks smallish.

              Do you have a rough idea how large in size that mass is?