Re: The Red Rolls On

  • judi_rudebusch
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27 1:35 PM
      HI Chris,

      You have been in our minds. We are 90 miles from Fargo,(the other side of the continental divide) and have been past your town. I remember the email from this winter, and your amount of snow, then, was huge. Take care of yourself.

      Judi

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27 2:39 PM

        Hi Chris,

        My husband, twin babies and I lived in Moorhead during the early 70's when Louie got a government job in Fargo.  We lost a few items  and a couple of my late grandmother's artwork was irreparably damaged during high floodwaters when a sump pump failed.   Nothing compared to the 1997 Flood out there, or what seems now to be a worse one going on now. We will keep you in our thoughts.

        I will be on-call for Red Cross disaster relief April 6th-May 5th, so may end up near there if area residents still need shelter and healthcare workers by that time.  Several ARC friends are there already, and updates have been coming in from there.   Chris, you may already have this link but the newspaper, The Forum of Moorehead-Fargo created a social networking site dedicated helping people affected by flood communicate with one another:

        http://www.inforum.com/event/tag/group/Flood/tag/flooding/

        Keeping you in our thoughts that you stay...Susan

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27 3:03 PM

          Chris,      Here is the INFORUM Red River Flood 2009 intercommunication link in case you need it or to pass to others:  http://flood.inforum.com/

        • ZHstar@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27 4:54 PM
             Chris- I'm following this as the NYTimes has full page coverage of Fargo ,,,,details, photos and everything.   Good Luck!
            Love, Zena

          • yacrispyubetcha@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28 11:48 AM
              Re-iteration. Fargo is upstream and a different community as the closest 'metro' with Moorhead on the MN side. Perley lies 23 miles north (downstream) from that publicized bruhaha.

              Natl News is blatently ignoring the MN side of the whole equasion. We are in this just as much as ND! But we are invisible. My tiny village is too small to put on many roadmaps. Four blocks wide and five blocks long placed along a major Highway north out of Fargo-Moorhead. On the other side of the the Highway 75 is our Cenex Farmer's Co-op, fuel and fertilizer depoe. That has also got it's own dike-surround. The Highway has a shared clay-wall dike laid down its pavement, between the two 'compartments' effectively blocking all travel up and down the Highway as a supplyline. Every other little town along the line is doing the same thing. In order to get supplies, we have to circle 10 miles to the east to the next N-S highway, then 8 miles N into Ada, our county seat.

              The drama the News portrays in Fargo is their own fight against the same monster. They have a lot more resources to work with. But we have less territory to defend. The balance of the energy is the same.  Thanks to the cold weather, the water rise slowed, giving us time to complete our earthen bulwarks. Already, since last reporting, the water is half way up the sides and rising with an ice crust for teeth, chewing its way along, trying to destroy what was put down.

              Now there is still all the winter's snow out in the surrounding farmland and countryside just waiting to start meling and pouring this way. We are far from seeing "crest", and when it happens, we will be there for a week.

              Reports like this will be sporatic, as we are busy in Real World. Back to getting stuff upstairs!...

              Thank you for your caring concerns. All is encouraging and keeps us going!
              hugs alaround,
              -chris

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28 12:00 PM
                DEar Chris-  What an terrible situation!    I hope and pray for you that you get out of this with everything intact and your home saved!
                Love, Zena

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30 8:16 AM
                  Good friends, All
                  Little town of Perley, here, well enclosed by new material (clay, sandbags et al) to new heights. Entrance and egress by dirt ramps better navigated by larger pickup trucks, at a bottom-out risk by regular-height cars because ruts got deepened rather quickly.

                  Water has isolated us on three sides, now, anyway. Combination of overland meltwater-levels coming in to meet the upwelling Red River have met where we are, a mile from the usual "main channel". Water has risen around the dikes to a point just at in some places, and even a tad 'over' where the old dike had reached a height. Had it not been for the additional clay, we'd be under already.

                  Hard to say if this is a 'crest' or if it is still rising. The beast pauses to breathe and think about it. Fargo, upstream of us has reached an initial crest. This does not mean diddly under these conditions. As the headlines show, we have a major winter storm moving in today. I shall be putting on coat & boots, here, presently to climb up to the diketop myself to see the water, rather than depend on second-hand reports... as reliable as they may seem. This storm, on top of all the winter snow still 'out there' has yet to melt and come down the pipes. The cold is a mixed blessing, slowing the tributaries' thaw and allowing the main channel to move some of the excess on down the system to allow for more water to enter. With luck, this will be a balance out, and this will not get any worse for level, but hang in there for a longer time, chewing at the dikes. Now that the dikes are built, it is the waiting without knowing that gnaws at the anxiety part of the psyche.

                  Thanks and gratefuness for your sympathy and concern. It gives me the heart to continue to support my own family and friends.

                  be well, yourselves!
                  -chris

                    As I read this email and watch the NDSU students on TV sandbagging to save the homes of the folks up north it brings home the reality of what many of our THOR members are going thru and my heart goes out to them.
                  William

                  --- In thor-thehuntersohiorock@yahoogroups.com, yacrispyubetcha@... wrote:

                  > Re-iteration. Fargo is upstream and a different community as the closest 'metro' with Moorhead on the MN side. Perley lies 23 miles north (downstream) from that publicized bruhaha.
                  >
                  > Natl News is blatently ignoring the MN side of the whole equasion. We are in this just as much as ND! But we are invisible. My tiny village is too small to put on many roadmaps. Four blocks wide and five blocks long placed along a major Highway north out of Fargo-Moorhead. On the other side of the the Highway 75 is our Cenex Farmer's Co-op, fuel and fertilizer depoe. That has also got it's own dike-surround. The Highway has a shared clay-wall dike laid down its pavement, between the two 'compartments' effectively blocking all travel up and down the Highway as a supplyline. Every other little town along the line is doing the same thing. In order to get supplies, we have to circle 10 miles to the east to the next N-S highway, then 8 miles N into Ada, our county seat.
                  >
                  > The drama the News portrays in Fargo is their own fight against the same monster. They have a lot more resources to work with. But we have less territory to defend. The balance of the energy is the same.  Thanks to the cold weather, the water rise slowed, giving us time to complete our earthen bulwarks. Already, since last reporting, the water is half way up the sides and rising with an ice crust for teeth, chewing its way along, trying to destroy what was put down.
                  >
                  > Now there is still all the winter's snow out in the surrounding farmland and countryside just waiting to start meling and pouring this way. We are far from seeing "crest", and when it happens, we will be there for a week.
                  >
                  > Reports like this will be sporatic, as we are busy in Real World. Back to getting stuff upstairs!...
                  >
                  > Thank you for your caring concerns. All is encouraging and keeps us going!
                  > hugs alaround,
                  > -chris

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional