Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: Copper Axe Stolen from Cahokia Mounds Exhibits

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2009
      "HEY VINCE...GLAD YOU ARE GETTING THE NEWS OUT.  I WAS TALKING TO LINDA AT THE APPLEBEE'S FUNDRAISER FOR CAHOKIA ON SATURDAY AND SHE SAID IT WAS SOMEONE FROM THE ARTIFACT SHOW THAT CAME IN ON THAT WEEKEND (MAR 7-8)  SHE SAID THERE WAS ONLY 2 STAFF MEMBERS THERE AND VERY FEW VOLUNTEERS.  SHE SAID APPARENTLY THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED...CUT THE LOCK...AND HAD TO HAVE AT LEAST 2 OTHERS HELP LIFT THE CASE.  NOTHING ELSE WAS TAKEN.
      Liz Kassly"

      From: Vincent Barrows <v_barrows@yahoo. com>
      To: ancient_waterways_ society@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 10:40 AM

      After four years of volunteering at the Cahokia Mounds as a tour guide, I know that the security system on the cases  was only accessible to someone with a key. The security room was locked, and in order to install a display, the cases would have to be unlocked and then removed by at least four individuals due to the weight of the glass. In order to open a case, it must have been accessed through the security room in the back of the building, unlocked, then four adults would have to position themselves at each corner of the case. These four would have to press in the button at each corner of the case, and lift the heavy clear glass covering the case. Then, the case would have to be completely removed from over top of the display, placed on the ground or held by the four individuals. If it was held up during the theft, a fifth person would have to have grabbed the copper celt from the display. I was told that this process is what made it so difficult to change exhibits or to properly set pottery that had toppled over in several other cases toward the back of the museum.

      The thief of the copper celt must have been familiar with the security system and could not have acted alone. It would simply be impossible to lift the case without at least four individuals.

      It is a sad loss that the copper celt was stolen, but it is suspicious that the group was not detected. Also, I do not know what time the theft occurred, but during the day a tour guide would have been positioned beside that location due to its proximity to the movie theatre.

      Vince Barrows

      From: minnesotastan <minnesotastan@ yahoo.com>
      To: ancient_waterways_ society@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 10:19 AM

      "The worst part is that it will probably be thrown in a heap with other stolen copper (wires, pipes) and sold as scrap copper to be melted down." - Terry

      Sad, but true. It's occurrences like this that cause even mild-mannered, sane, rational people to opine that perpetrators of such crimes should have their gonads removed or crushed with a dull copper axe.