Valpo Univ. geography class study..from Atlantic Conf. link

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2009
      Bridge k you for your insightful reply, Martin. Before heading out of town for a couple of days, the current topic got me thinking about a link recalled from the Home Page of the Atlantic Conference halifax web site:   http://www.atlanticconference.org/ , as headlined:

      First Humans To Settle Americas Came from Europe, Not from Asia Over Bering Strait Land Bridge, New Research Suggests. [Science Daily- 7/17/08]:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080701193203.htm

      I wrote to Dr. Ron Janke from the Department of Geography and Meteorology at Valparaiso University in Indiana where my father's  family were from.  Dr. Janke  received his PhD from the University of Minnesota, by the way.  But I asked if he might update us on the progress of the twelve year study he has been undergoing on the Kankakee Sand Islands with students.  And also suggested they might find the proposed upcoming online Atlantic Conference of interest for professors and students alike at that fine university.

      Most heartwarming to me is the fact that  so many intra-academic fields---here geography, meterology---as well as  serious scientific diffusioinist study, and significantly important histories carried forward by Native peoples across the continents are included in such studies these days.   It seems progress is being made in leaps and bounds, and is probably indicative and reflective of  much more cooperative interrelationships that actually took place for millinnea in many parts of the world.  Far different than many of us in our sixties and older were taught and still carry such limited, fragmented knowledge  into the present.

      I see  that particular Internet  article on  Dr. Janke and his students is listed  on dozens and dozens of web sites and publications, so perhaps he will not reply.   But if anyone here sees more on  this study, please let me know.  Rick, you are from S. Indiana and I am sure find this ongoing study fascinating,  an area not far from your neck of the woods.
      Susan

      Dr. Ron Janke profile: http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/faculty.html