Re: Hooked X

  • minnesotastan
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
      Chris, I found your comments re Ms. Leuthner and the "Hooked X" most
      interesting. As a former academic researcher, I can fully sympathize
      with the agony and frustration of having original work that is
      unpublished and unrecognized.

      It would be wonderful (for her and for the field of research) if some
      of her research could be peer-reviewed and published for critical
      comment. Whether you could establish priority would depend on how
      detailed/dated her notes were (or perhaps just by the existence of
      abstracts or letters to editors if full manuscripts are not available.)

      Depending on the state she left her work in, it may not be possible
      for you to get her work into academic journals. If that's not
      possible, please consider putting at least some of it on the web where
      it can be accessed by search engines. The work you did as a graphic
      artist could be uploaded as simple images to a variety of storage
      sites that are catalogued by Google. And the textual material could
      go to a place like Scribd (http://www.scribd.com/).

      Stan

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Patenaude"
      <yacrispyubetcha@...> wrote:

      Scott Wolter did not 'discover' the Hooked X. That distinction belongs
      to the late, brilliant cryptographer Margaret Leuthner who spent the
      last 40 years of her life, to her dying day, working on the Kensington
      Runestone and it's epigraphy. I personally was working with her in the
      last 4 years of her research, cut short by medical complications, not
      retirement from the effort.

      She had me, as a graphic artist, create a working font of the extant
      variants of Futhark runes as worked into the KRS message. She and I
      discussed the different 'hooks' and marks on far more than just the
      "X"s. (The letter G)
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009

        Chris, All,

        You all know how I hate to do second-hand or forwarded letters and especially responses, Scott has asked to have his 'side' put forth.  He would have to join AWS in order to post the letter himself, and I know many of his longer term friends have asked him to join their web sites.   If he joins AWS, he has to join them all.  So with Scott not being a member here, I hope this specific concern gets resolved in personal letters and emails, etc.  Scott's address follows his letter.

        I shall add my own letter after this.  Ancient Waterways Society is not a chat group.  I do feel we do some very serious research together, but it is also, to me a sharing of goodwill between dedicated avocational diffusioinists, scientists and those of many academic disciplines. Probably the only "chat" offender here at Ancient Waterways Society would be from my own 'pen' here...going on and on about nothing sometimes, and my apologies to the group for that.  I need to go back an delete some of the old posts where only I driveled on and on and where there are posts not attached to anyone else's insights, posts or sound research.

        I don't want this web group to get like many other diffusionist sites, some of which have gone underground to Members-only or have folded altogether because of getting away from their central purposes, and into ruthless competitiveness, slander and/or  in-fighting.  We have not gotten into any of that here, nor am I suggesting that will happen here.

        I do see peaceful resolve, hope and harmony within the larger picture of all of this...especially this KRS controversy which has gone on over a century.  Where perhaps there may not be agreement, may be be in alignment with each other, our higher purposes, our intentions, and good collective, collaborative work.  We of an Ancient Waterways Society here.

        From Scott Wolter this noon or early afternoon ( I have been wildly busy with other things today, though I did not get dispatched to Arkansas or Kentucky due to a large response of Red Cross  volunteers and nurses); much of the area is still without power down there.  I still have a dozen emails from the past two days  to address, one or two which need to be put on our web site within the next day or two)  So please, keep in mind some of the other fine messages from Vince, Martin, David, Zena, Chris  and many here the past week or so, and to follow.  That we not get bogged in the mud or lost in the tall reeds as we paddle together along our many route.  We have lots to share here together, and more research friends, to come:

        ----- Original Message 2/03/09 -----
         From: "Wolter, Scott" swolter@...
        David asked if you would mind posting my response:

         "You are quite correct that I knew nothing about Margaret's cryptography research.  I met Margaret one time for lunch in Alexandria around 2003 and all we talked about was the Medicine Stone you sent me photographs of at that time.  We never even talked about the KRS.  Margaret talked about the Medicine Stone in a Catholic sense and quite frankly, I didn't understand where she was going with it.

        With regard to her KRS research, I knew nothing about it.  Did she publish anything of her findings?  I think it's important for Chris to understand that my research and Margaret's are ideologically opposite in our conclusions.  With all due respect to Margaret and Chris, I think her criticism is unfounded.  My research was performed completely independent of anything Margaret was doing.  I think it is also important for Chris to understand that the work I'm doing has nothing to do with cryptography as I understand it.  Perhaps she should wait to read my research when it's published before posting criticism on chat sites.

        I also don't recall saying anything negative about Margaret, other than I had a hard time understanding some of the ideas she tried to convey.  That was probably my fault."

        Scott F. Wolter P.G.
        Geologist/Petrographer/President
        Minnesota License #30024
        American Petrographic Services Inc.
        550 Cleveland Ave N.
        St. Paul, MN 55114

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009

          Thank you Terry  and (founder of this Ancient Waterways Society web site) MinnesotaStan, for thought-proking letters here.

          I think Stan has made some excellent suggestions and solutions based upon decades of academic research experience, and it is my sincere hope too, Chris, that  you are able to explore some of those avenues he mentioned so as  to publish some of the work you and Margaret did together for so many years on the Hooked X and other areas of research.   There is plenty of room to further add to the missing pieces which have stayed obscure for a century.  To quote the astute AAPS slogan from their Home Page....The Ancient Artifact Preservation Society...Bringing together Diverse Pieces of the Ancient American Puzzle

           Though the KRS and runic script is an area of research I know very little about, I trust that sincere and astute researchers looking at all viable, incoming data are wise enough to determine what will fit and what will not, and get to the heart and roots of some of these things.

           I'd spent several years writing to, camping with, and transporting KRS researcher Marion Dahm to conferences, meetings, to sites along SW Lake Superior and ancient W.  Lake Michigan shores.  And with so many of you newcomer members and onlookers at Ancient Waterways Society, I need to get into even more serious study about these avenues of research.

           The past week or so I  also received personal emails from several older researchers from 'Scandinavia' , New Zealand, Canada and the UK  who had plenty to say about runes,  and two or three on what is called the "hooked X'..... all from varying perspectives and uses of the symbol.   Interesting as it all seems to be, it would seem from my perspective that it is a hot potato similar to the old 'who discovered America' subject.  And not to be "arenas" of study but "avenues" of research.  As the main focus of this group here...common, amicable "international waters" that we navigate here together seeking our common bond and purpose.    And that soundness of mind, diplomacy and 'heartfulness' need to be kept always in the forefront.  I am privileged to have every one of you here at this web site as members.

          Inexperienced as I am in such things, it has been my good fortune to be not only a participant but a background assistant with the ongoing work of the Atlantic Conference.  I was and still am am  'culture shocked into the realities that I once use lived under.  Issues such as the  archaic "Who Discovered America" or "Who was First" ways of investigating  the Old and New World(s) were not even raised as issues among any of the speakers nor side-talks throughout the three+ day conference and following week of post-conference field trips with Terry D.  I still see such senseless topics raised in  international magazine artcles and TV documentaries.  Though peoples have lived and navigated  unknowablye countless tens of millinnea within the Americas and trans-continentally.  People from all over the world sitting in Nature and academic rooms together, amicably  bringing in loftier, more sensible  subjects to investigate.

          The " Hooked X"  too, seems to have been known and used for an indeterminable  length of time in various regions of 'Scandinavia',  and likely in the Americas beyond the KRS.   What I like about what Steve St. Clair, Scott Wolter, the Davids, Zena, and others are doing, and hopefully Chris, too, is that through each of your writings, that  is this Hooked X exploration and the KRS situation is finally coming to light openly, publicly, and evolving  civilly....finally,  after well over a century.  Despite decades of fears, superstitions, negativities,  victimizations, isolated and the many  narrow religious contexts in which runic writings have been viewed  are finally being put aside.  And this work is going forward.

          I personally am glad to see things like the "Hooked X" and other runic symbols surrounding the Kensington Runestone being put into scientific scrutiny in contexts such as the  geology and chemistry of the KRS and inscriptions, the  trans-Atlantic geography, extensive examination of the sociology, archaeology, and history , writings, interviews....across and between both continents.  Perservering,  going forward and out in the open.  Not 'mere' and 'more' micro-level examinations of multiple, ambiguous interpretations of the  symbology ad infinitum.  Instead we are seeing evolving macro-level contexts of the Hooked X and other inscriptions,  along with the many other factors associated with the KRS still forthcoming.

          I look forward to all of the ongoing   information on this subject, and Scott's book coming out this Spring.   I have heard several of his talks, and if some of you recall whe and friends were scuba diving near Copper Harbor last May, Scott was kind enough to drive over to Lakeside Resort in Eagle Harbor, MI to speak both Friday and Saturday evenings when twenty or more of us met at the Lake Superior resort for the three day informal weekend gathering set up in honor of the Pennington's filming.

           I also look forward to articles,  books, talks from many of you here on this subject.  And I thank those of you who try to provide kindly and sound suggestions and feedback toward each other's work.  Judi Rudebusch the past several weeks  has been most helpful in helping greet new members with whom she is acquainted  of research I am not so familiar.

          As with the two new member Davids here....with David Goursward's 55,000 word unpublished book on the Westford Knight and David Brody's recent book on the same subject...both gentlemen remain complimentary and  noncompetitive of each other..as you may recall from David Gousward recently:

          Two books with entirely different perspectives on the same
          site - the absolutely best possible thing for that site, which needs a
          higher profile and more local support.

          Experience tells me this kind of mutual,  rather than competitive regard will reap further synchronicities and rewards for all of us tuned into such intentions and diligent pursuits and sharing of our work. All who seek more accurate and higher avenues of understanding of these subjects.

          MSE