Batchelder, George Alexander

  • Vince
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2007
      The following source is dated to 1870, and provides an interesting
      bit of information about the earliest European arrivals. I go on to
      describe a similarity between royal crests used at the Cahokia Mounds
      and in early British heraldic emblems. As suggested by
      This information shared by the Secretary of the Dakota Territory in
      1870 has a lot of good information, but also includes racist slurs
      against the native Americans, calling theim "Savages". Please replace
      this word in you minds eye with "countrymen".
      I found a very excellent source entitled:
      Batchelder, George Alexander. A Sketch of the History and Resources of
      Dakota Territory. 71 pp. Map. 1870.
      And here is a part of this, typed here for your review:
      "The earliest historical record which we have of these Indians of
      North America, is found among the Icelandic and Danish authorites,
      wherein it is claimed that in the year 986, Eric Rauda, emigarated
      from Iceland to Greenland, and formed a settlement of Northmen. No
      mention is made, however, by these adventurous Northmen, of the
      appearance of natives on the shore of North America until 1004 when
      Thorwald, the son of Eric, Earl of Norway, while sailing along the
      coast between Newfoundland and Greenland, discovered three canoes upon
      the beach, and under each canoe three esquimaux, called by the
      Northmen, Skroelings, A contest ensued, and eight of the nine natives
      were killed. The ninth fled into the back ground of the bay and soon
      returned with a vast number of his people, whereupon the party of the
      Northmen retreated to the vessels and set sail to the southward,
      Throwald being fatally wounded by an arrow. In 1005, Throstein, the
      Brother of Thorwald, set sail for the new found land, with his wife,
      Gudrida, the first white woman known in history as having visited the
      shores of America, and who three years after her arrival gave birth to
      the first child of European descent born in the New World.
      In 1007, Thronfin, a wealthy personage, descended from Danish,
      Norwegian, Swedish, Irish, and Scottish ancestors, arrived off the
      coast of New England, near Mount Hope Bay, with two ships and 140 men
      and women. Here they discovered fields covered with wheat growing
      wild, and they were visited by great numbers of natives in canoes, who
      were described as a sallow-colored, ill looking race of people, with
      long hair, large eyes, and broad cheeks. In 1011, a quarrel was
      incited by Frydesia, daughter of Eric, which proved fatal to a large
      number of the colonists. From this period the Nrothmen appear to have
      become estranged and lawless, and amalgamated with the wild natives of
      the country. In 1026, Gudleif, and Icelandic navigator, who was driven
      upon this unknown shore, was seized, with his crew, by the natives,
      and carried into the interior, where they were accosted by a venerable
      chief speaking their own language, who inquired after certain
      individuals in Noway.
      The natives were described at that date of a red color, and very cruel
      to strangers.
      From this period we hear nor more of this northern colony until 1059
      when a Saxon priest, named Jon, who was sent out as a missionary to
      the colonists, arrived and was murdered by the heathens.
      In 1121, the Bishop of Greenland undertook the same voyage, for the
      same purpose, but othe his success and fate are undetermined by
      history. From this period until the date of discovery of America by
      Columbus in 1492, there is no historical mention of the early
      colonists or natives of North America.
      In the early part of the fourteenth century, according to numerous and
      accredited authorities, Prince Madoc, or Madawe, from North Wales, Set
      sail with ten ships and a large colony of his countrymen, who are
      supposed to have landed somewhere on the coast of North America. None
      of the colonists have ever returned to their own country. The best
      authorities have been only able to trace them to the mouth of the
      Mississippi river; but according to the history and poetry of their
      own country, this colony settled somewhere in the interior of North
      America, where the descendants may yet remain, intermingled with the
      savage tribes."

      The "Pi-A-Sa" seems to show that even around Cahokia Mounds depictions
      of mythic creatures on rock faces indicate an even earlier invasion
      from Europeans. The expert on Mide birchbark scrolls, Selwyn Dudeney,
      even agrees that the British lion from around 1100-1340 has a similar
      appearance to Mishipizheu. These symbolic heraldic crests were painted
      on the rock faces very early on and serve to indicate a Kings
      crest.Many if not all of the tablet forms also convey a royal lineage,
      as shown by the similarity to the Luba Lukasa, and to the Australian
      Churingas. The Native Americans fought with bravery and heroism to
      defend their lands against invaders.

      Below is a summary of my research into Materials that indicate the
      possible origin of the Piasa.

      Etching on this artifact does represent Mishipizheu
      http://www.city. north-bay. on.ca/lavase/ 97FRS611. HTM

      Agawa Bay, Upper Peninsula Michigan petroglyph of Mishipizheu (water
      panther)
      http://www.kayakwik i.org/index. php/Agawa_ Bay

      Piasa, Marquette Journal 1673, Mishipizheu
      http://www2. ic.edu/cochran/ ClassPages/ 205Spring03/ Downs/TheLegendo
      fthePiasa. html

      Winnebago War Club, Two Mishipizheu
      http://130.91. 80.97:591/ PDFs/5-4/ An%20Unusual. pdf

      "Two Lenape Stone Masks from Pennsylvania and New Jersey." Museum of
      the American Indian, Heye Foundation, Indian Notes, and Monographs,
      Miscellaneous Series 3. New York, 1920.

      Henry II (1133 † 1189), son of previous, king of England, duke of
      Normandy, count of Anjou
      http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Armorial_ of_Plantagenet

      Richard (1209 † 1272), earl of Cornwall, then king of the Romans, son
      of John Lackland, king of England
      Arms of the counts of Poitiers (see Richard Lionheart above), with a
      brisure.
      http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Armorial_ of_Plantagenet

      Spiro Mounds Shell Cup, theoretically, depicting circles of Cahokia
      Mounds Woodhenge
      Philip Phillips and James A. Brown, Pre-Columbian Shell Engravings
      from the Craig Mound at Spiro, Oklahoma, 2 vols. (Cambridge: Harvard
      University, Peabody Museum Press, 1978.

      (Photo by J. G. Braecklein, 1936)
      Theoretically, cached for safety after victory at Cahokia Mounds.
      http://www.mississi ppian-artifacts. com/html/ spiro.html

      http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Tournament_(medieval)

      Their lands have been squandered away from them unjustly in 1000
      years, due to small pox, countless wars, broken treaties, and
      "National Sacrifice" zones where nearly 1000 nukes were "tested"
      directly adjacent to their reservations. Even The John Wayne died from
      exposure to nuclear fallout when he was on an indian reservation,
      along with half the crew of the movie that was filmed there. That is
      documented in one film called "The Dragon the Slew St. George." Today,
      we may be continuing the count down to nuclear annihilation of the
      human race. What else will the USA do with its over 50 thousand nukes,
      and the other countries do with their massive 30 thousand plus stockpiles.

      time will tell, so lets live.
      Vince
    • Susan English
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2007
        Vince and all,

        A really terrific message here, fine comments, and moving summation,
        Vince. I was unable to enter the many interesting-looking web sites
        to study further your fine post, even after pasting the full links
        into my browser. I hear this happening also at other sites.

        Mike in China is probably backlogged with posts and his own research
        for the PI site, but MinnesotaStan, Pam G., or someone else from this
        site experienced with YahooGroups perhaps can let us know how to
        insert viable web links into messages. I know Pam was a computer
        programmer when she lived in Illinois, had created a wonderful
        personal Ancient Waterways web site a few years ago when I was just
        learning to use email and needed a few tips.

        By appearances, Steve's AncientVikings web site seems to be
        through a more modern Yahoogroup service, doesn't have the same
        problems I have seen at PI, William's Thor/Ohio Rock site and the
        Ancient Waterways Society.

        Another thing I want to mention here. If members are writing posts of
        any great length, I suggest frequently scanning, pasting, and
        inserting research links and work into an email to yourself or a WP
        page. Or, writing/responding to posts from more stable screens, then
        transferring the saved messages into the Posts. I do know that if you
        write a post to any site, then refer back to another message or clikc
        to another web site or without minimizing it, the entire screen is
        erased and unretrievable. Same too if bounced out of the network, as
        we with dial-up very well know! Others write that they have lost
        many messages, then had to repeat whatever remnants they could
        recall, at 'half-steam', or when early AM Alzheimers sets in. Anyone
        having more helpful comments about these matters for newcomers
        entering these group web sites, it would be much appreciated.

        Vince, perhaps you would like to resubmit the web links, or put them
        back into the content of the whole Message you sent, once we find out
        how to do so properly. Little doubt the well-documented article with
        early historic writing that many may not have seen before, will make
        a fine link of us to refer to (i.e., Post # _____) at this or other
        sites. Our friend and old viking research pioneer Marion Dahm was a
        Dane, and is singing the hallellujia chorus over the mention of the
        Danish explorer. He was always telling everyone their European and
        Native American blood lines were connected to viking global
        seafaring. But the Danish one was for him.

        Yes, thank goodness we are retraveling ancient "international waters"
        with different hearts, minds, attitudes, reexamining, getting to the
        roots, and heart of who we human beings really are. It is becoming
        clearer to me every day that I am working with courageous and unique
        groups of explorers...pioneers into unknown territory. Thanks to
        these web sites, as long as we have electritity in which to
        correspond between our 'travels', we are not paddling alone.

        Thanks again for stimulating my heart and mind. Looking forward to
        reading the links. Have been clicking into links from Mike
        White's "Re: Inca lands post".

        Jamie, when the season warms and you find it fitting, please let me
        know when I and perhaps others may meet some of you in Tennessee--to
        get to know the waterways, terraine, provide support of the
        landowners involved (if they wish), and start delving more deeply
        together into the very ancient human and paleontological past of the
        Americas. I live on a stipend under the poverty line, but am a flea
        market vendor when necessary and can stretch a dollare as far as
        anyone...Best that I camp, and will provide an open soup pot for any
        of you to commune and sup with me, at any time. And keep the wildlife
        from interrupting my sleep.

        Even if the area is a post-glacial drainage or dump site, it is where
        all the 'evidence' washed, and thus, still significant. And, along
        high ground above centuries-long raging run-off areas are unexplored,
        intact areas with truths maybe beyond our most outstretched beliefs.
        When we can roll away the boulders that have kept such things hidden,
        until wise ones come who are fit and able to climb to such
        understandings.

        Exploring Great Lakes-Mississippi Riverways, joining you along your
        ancient waterway, M. Susan English
        http://hometown.aol.com/suzenglish/myhomepage/profile.html

        PreColumbian Incriptions message link (see Home Page guidelines, then
        click Messages):
        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince"

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2007
          Hi Susan;
          Thanks for the quick responses and here is the post, revised with corrected links.
          The following source is dated to 1870, and provides an interesting bit of information about the earliest European arrivals. I go on to describe a similarity between royal crests used at the Cahokia Mounds and in early British heraldic emblems. As suggested by Dewdney, the piasa resembles the british lion.
          This was written in 1870 by the Secretary of the Dakota Territory in 1870 and has a lot of related info, but also includes racist slurs against the native Americans, calling them "Savages". Please replace this word in you minds eye with "countrymen".
[...]
          Thorwald being fatally wounded by an arrow. In 1005, Throstein, the
          Brother of Thorwald, set sail for the new found land, with his wife,
          Gudrida, the first white woman known in history as having visited the
          shores of America, and who three years after her arrival gave birth to
          the first child of European descent born in the New World.
          In 1007, Thornfin, a wealthy personage, descended from Danish,
          Norwegian, Swedish, Irish, and Scottish ancestors, arrived off the
          coast of New England, near Mount Hope Bay, with two ships and 140 men
          and women. Here they discovered fields covered with wheat growing
          wild, and they were visited by great numbers of natives in canoes, who
          were described as a sallow-colored, ill looking race of people, with
          long hair, large eyes, and broad cheeks. In 1011, a quarrel was
          incited by Frydesia, daughter of Eric, which proved fatal to a large
          number of the colonists. From this period the Northmen appear to have
          become estranged and lawless, and amalgamated with the wild natives of
          the country. In 1026, Gudleif, and Icelandic navigator, who was driven
          upon this unknown shore, was seized, with his crew, by the natives,
          and carried into the interior, where they were accosted by a venerable
          chief speaking their own language, who inquired after certain
          individuals in Norway.
          The natives were described at that date of a red color, and very cruel
          to strangers.
          From this period we hear nor more of this northern colony until 1059
          when a Saxon priest, named Jon, who was sent out as a missionary to
          the colonists, arrived and was murdered by the heathens.
          In 1121, the Bishop of Greenland undertook the same voyage, for the
          same purpose, but both his success and fate are undetermined by
[...]

          Theoretically, maces cached for safety after victory at Cahokia Mounds.

          Their lands have been squandered away from them unjustly in 1000 years, due to small pox, countless wars, broken treaties, and "National Sacrifice" zones where nearly 1000 nukes were "tested" directly adjacent to their reservations. Even The John Wayne died from exposure to nuclear fallout when he was on an indian reservation, along with half the crew of the movie that was filmed there. That is documented in one film called "The Dragon the Slew St. George." Today, we may be continuing the count down to nuclear annihilation of the human race. What else will the USA do with its over 50 thousand nukes, and the other countries do with their massive 30 thousand plus stockpiles.

          time will tell, so lets live.
          Vince

          Get your own web address.