Re: Giant Float Copper and Proposed Museum of Ancient Artifacts Preservation Soc

  • herbswoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com,
      "ancientwaterpathways" <leepennington@...> wrote:

      > Although I generally stay totally away from any sort of website
      > conflict discussion, I feel I need to state my feelings about the
      > giant piece of float copper and the proposed museum by the Ancient
      > Artifacts Preservation Society (AAPS) group.
      >
      > First the museum. There are hundreds of people, maybe thousands of
      > people, myself included, who have in their possession strange,
      > unusual ancient artifacts that simply do not make any sense according
      > to the standard paradigm. The things I have I make no mention of to
      > anyone other than people who show a genuine interest, and even then I
      > do so very carefully. Everyday, well not that often, but certainly
      > often, I run into people who also have such artifacts. Until we
      > compare, we have no idea that we and others have such artifacts that
      > might very well connect us all globally.
      >
      > It's only by sheer accident that cross-study of different artifacts
      > is even possible. The traditional academic people don't even want to
      > look at these things. There is simply no place in the world where
      > these artifacts can be brought together for present and future study.
      > I hurt deeply that many things are being lost and even worse,
      > trashed. When Wayne May managed to get the Michigan tablets back
      > into Michigan, the hope was that a museum would be available to house
      > these. I think that was where the AAPS group came up with the idea
      > of a museum in the first place. You probably already know that the
      > state archaeologist became in charge of the Michigan tablets, and
      > they have been declared a fraud and, therefore, worthless for study.
      > Even at the exhibit which was done, the tablets were listed as fraud.
      >
      > I predict that within 50 years, unless a proper place to house these
      > Michigan tablets (and how many thousands of other artifacts?) at a
      > place where the keepers are not locked into any particular paradigm,
      > and at the very least, unbiased, then no one will even have the
      > opportunity to study these precious, yes precious, fraud or not,
      > tablets. They simply will be buried under the axiom that it's easier
      > to ignore something when declared fraud, than it is to address the
      > objects objectively. Trust me. This kind of thing, declaring fraud
      > and then not having to answer some of the hard questions, is
      > happening constantly.
      >
      > Many archaeological reputations in America have been made not on
      > discovery but solely on the art of debunking. Consider Fantastic
      > Archaeology and tons of other debunking books. Many of these same
      > archaeologists say they don't have time to waste on looking at
      > artifacts that have already been declared frauds, but they certainly
      > have time to write books declaring, and re-declaring, the very same
      > artifacts frauds. The idea of a museum to house such objects and be
      > available to those who wish to study them on a world-wide basis is an
      > incredible idea. Will it happen? The odds are certainly against
      > it. "Regular" museums simply won't touch many of these items.

> [...]

      Good post.

      I totally agree about the non-conforming artifacts deserving a home of
      their own. Even if faked, they are worth preserving, being part of a
      long American tradition well documented in books like "Fantastic
      Archeaology." Not that I'm condemning all such artifacts as fake. Some
      probably are, others wonderful objects of nature, and others perhaps
      authentically ancient but that fall outside the present paradigm. In
      all cases they should to be preserved for future study and displayed
      for their educational and entertainment value.

      As to the great float copper mass, it is a world mineral and spiritual
      treasure and should be seen that way and not sent to the scrap pile.
      While there were many such large and even larger masses removed from
      underground mines, there were only a few really large pieces of float
      on Lake Superior and none were this large (40 to 70 tons? That big?)
      Three come to mind: the famous Ontonagon River Mass, and the lesser
      known Elm River and Iron River (Wis.) masses. Two masses removed from
      the Cliff Mine in the 1840s had so much glittering native silver
      combined with the copper that were given names: Gog and Magog. But
      where are these natural treasures today? Fused! Gone! Lost forever!

      I previously made the comment about displaying the mass in a natural
      setting. This could be done even in a museum environment if preserving
      and enhancing its inherant "spirit power" is an objective. The
      original inhabitants knew all about this stuff and considered these
      copper masses portals between worlds and communication pathways to
      otherworldly deities and cythonic forces. The copper was very much
      bound up with the primary forces ("gods") of this continent, and it
      was very significant when the masses were in the water as Lake
      Superior itself was in itself a great divinity.

      Keweenaw Point is the most fitting place for such a museum being a
      authentic super power spot on this planet earth. Isle Royale (Minong)
      is even greater, perhaps, but is probably not available for the honor.

      My 2 (red) cents.