Re: from PreColumbain Inscriptions-Smithsonian Inscriptions from Illinois-Rock R

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2007
      Vince, and all,

      I believe Wm. smith also mentioned this at another list, but I also
      don't see Michigan tablets/plates on the list. I was assisting at a
      Salt Lake City conference in the late 80's, early 90's when what
      remained of the tablets were moved from Michigan/Univ. of Michigan?
      to the SLC archives. Not sure if they are readily accessible to the
      public out there. As you know, articles on the Michigan tablets and
      Burrows Cave have been ongoing by dozens of authors via Ancient
      American and numerous magazines, and new information of a significant
      nature forthcoming...

      Also, many around the country own Burrows Cave items; increasingly,
      serious researchers are bringing parts of their collections to small
      group meetings and display tables at conferences such as AAAPF,
      Ancient Earthworks Society, Midwestern Epigraphic Society, etc. I
      sold a glass display cabinet to a professional with a considerable
      collection who has not yet attended AAAPF conferences nor made public
      any of his pieces, hopefully will attend the Ohio conference.

      Despite ongoing controversy and questionable scientific authenticity
      around all of the above, it only makes sense that artifacts and,
      especially scripted items be made public, photographed, investigated
      rather than destroyed, sent to obscure archives or lost to private
      collections, as has been the rule for millinnea of all that doesn't
      fit the current social, political, and religious paradigm. Continued
      evaluation over time, careful, collective research by
      professional and vocational groups such as these will bring that
      which is authentic and of priceless knowledge to light.

      Re: Burrows Cave, as I understand, a vast number of the rock art
      pieces photographed and professionally evaluated remains unpublished.
      Many of you have "Rock Art Pieces from Burrows' Cave, Volume I (of a
      Two-Volume Set) by Prof. James P. Scherz (UW Madison Dept of Civil &
      Envrionmental Engineering) & Russell E. Burrows was published in
      April, 1992, edited by Buck Trawicky. The front cover of the book
      parenthesizes a Book #2 in the continuing saga of Burrows' Cave. Buck
      and Jim Scherz attended the Ancient Earthworks meeting in the UW
      Science building two weeks ago in Madison. They, Mr. Burrows, and
      increasing others with whom I am affiliated, have expressed interest
      that the remaining photographs and data start being brought together
      into a Volume II. I believe that will happen in the very near future.
      I am starting to spark a few people in the direction of a 2008 or
      2009 S. Illinois conference near Cahokia and St. Louis with all of
      the current AAAPF groups involved, PreColumbian Inscriptions & Thor
      group, Pam G., Vince, Rick, Indiana, Kentucky, Hatcher-Childresses &
      World Exploeres Club, etc.

      Of course there will be a future one near the Burrows Cave site of
      great magnitude. Hopefully those most involved in it the past two+
      decades will still be around. All are at least in their 70's....

      For weeks last spring I was in New Orleans gutting homes, also
      walking miles door to door teaching dressing changes & simple medical
      procedures in areas still without electricity & water. I didn't get
      to Poverty Point, as I intende to do soon, but several kind-hearted
      researchers made calls of support to my cell phone at times I needed
      long breaks working with kids a third my age. Russell Burrows phoned
      the eve I departed and a number of times while in the field and I am
      happy to have a bit broader understanding of Cave subject, but
      enjoyed talking with him about other things related. John White, too,
      of Midwest Epigraphic Society, called inquiring about a small weekend
      gathering I was trying to put together for June in the Keweenaw
      Peninsula, also called. I'd gotten to know him at conferences and
      festivals around the country. Talks with Russell, John and many of
      you allowed lengthy breaks from the difficult work and opportunities
      to talk about these web groups, interrelated groups which meet
      directly, and my continuing efforts to try to interconnect diverse
      people and resources in rediscovering our ancient, global past.
      My apologies for such long conversations, but my intent is to
      interconnect us more directly, personally...

      Among discussions, I promised John White and his wife a
      continuance of a road tour Ohioan Pam Giese and I started with them
      to the end of Upper Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula on Rte. 41/26
      several years ago. Maybe others are interested also; a caravan is
      possible and you don't have to camp.

      In more than one discussion, Russell, too, liked the idea of
      small, amicable camp discussions amongst open-hearted, hospitable
      researchers, fine campfire cooking (wild rice, venison sausage),
      etc. at sites anywhere between S. Illinois and the tip of the
      Keweenaw Peninsula. No pressure placed on anyone.

      I also continue to hear mumblings about a small group of writiers
      forming soon to continue with Volume #II. of the Burrows Cave Rock
      Art Pieces, I'd started reading Volume #1 last year when Russell
      corresponded with Mike White and PreColumbian Inscriptions members
      for a time. And in many discussions over coffee or assisting Dr.
      Scherz w/survey ancient sites throughout Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.

      In the grand scheme of things, regardless whether May and a team of
      scientists gain entrance to the cave (if not already doing so), open
      minds & hearts, future dating methods, the tests of time and careful
      scrutiny will present a larger picture and what things are of value...

      Re: the Beverly Stone mentioned earlier, I was unable to get into
      Mike White's link for that site, but the only one I know of by that
      name is the "Mystery Stone" at Beverly, Kansas, referenced w/photo
      via this web site: http://s8int.com/page20.html

      Susan
      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows
      <v_barrows@...> wrote:

      > Please let me know if anyone has any tablets to add to this
      prelimiary
      > listing:
      >
      > Here is the list of all the tablets that I know of:
      > Inscribed Native Cahokia Mounds Tablets
      > 1. Birdman Tablet
      > 2. Kassly- Schaefer tablet
      > 3. Quincy Museum Tablet
      > 4. Ramey-Peet Tablet
      > 5. Perino Tablet
      > 6. Becker Tablet
      > 7. John Kelly Tablet
      > 8. Mary Mathews Fenaia Tablet
      > 9. Margie Erb Sandstone Tablet
      > 10. Moorehead
      > 11. Wilson
      > 12. Wendler
      > 13. White Sandstone Monks Mound
      > 14. 11-5-32 tablets ICT II tablet
      > 15. MSA-15A , 96-14-11
      > 16. MSA-15A , 93-4-1
      > 17.. MSA-15A , 93-4-2
      > Illinois Tablets
      > 18. Rockford Sun Tablet
      > 19. Rockford Inscribed
      > 20. Rockford Inscribed II
      > 21. Ellington Stone
      > Alaska Tablets
      > 22. Edward G. Fast Alsaka National Museum of Natural History Tablet
      > 23. 19_273 Alaska Baranof Island National Museum of Natural History
      > Tablet
      > Catlinite Tablets from Iowa/Minnesota
      > 24. County Museum Minnesota Tablet
      > Adena Tablets
      > 25.Allen Tablet
      > 26. Berlin Tablet
      > 27. Waverly/ Hurst
      > 28. Mm6 Wright Tablet
      > 29. Cincinnati
      > 30. Gaitskill Clay
      > 31. Gaitskill Stone
      > 32. Keifer
      > 33. Lakin A
      > 34. Lakin B
      > 35. Low 1
      > 36. Low 2
      > 37. Meigs County
      > 38. Wilmington
      > 39. Crawford County Ohio New Hampshire Peabody Museum
      >
      > Disks:
      > 40. Marshall Anderson Rattlesnake Disk
      > 70. Angel Mounds: Of 30 sandstone plates found, four have scoring on
      > one side and one has a groove
      > 92. Cresap Mound:, West Virginia 22 Tablets found, 1 turtle shaped
      and 1 shaped like a kidney
      > 93. Bat Creek, Eastern Tennessee
      > 190. Gault Site, Texas over 100 engraved stones from this site
      > 191. Graham Cave, MO inscribed tablet
      > 197. Grave Creek Mound – Six tablets including one concentric
      circle
      > tablet, 4 plumed serpent tablets, and one inscribed with letters
      > 209. Twelve Stiles Site, Iowa Tablets
      > 409. 200 plus Blood Run Site, Iowa Tablets
      > 416. Six incised limestone slabs from Middle Tennessee
      > 418. Piqua, Ohio Ketika Figurines (two)
      > 474. 56 Sailing Ship tablets from Florida
      > 736. 262 Hardaway and Doerchuk Site Tablets from North Carolina
      > 737. Solomonville, AZ Tablet
      > 937. 300 plus tablets described by Schuster and Carpenter in
      Patterns
      > That Connect: The social Symbolism of Tribal Art
      > 938. 13 CK 28 bastian Site Utz Tablet
      > 939. New Albin Tablet
      > 943. 4 Scott Couinty Iowa Tablets
      > 955 13 Easter island tablets
      > 2197. 1242 Hohokam Tablets (See Devin Alan White book)
      > 3327. 1130 Iberian Peninsula tablets (see
      > http://research2.its.uiowa.edu/iberian/
      > 4327. Blombos Cave, South Africa Engraved stones (over 1000?)
      > 11327. Southern Illinois "burrows cave" tablets, this will add
      around
      > 7000 to the total.
      >
      > Most archaeologists do not understand the find, therefore
      dismissing
      > it as a fraud. However, there is still so much to learn about the
      > past. To assume that we know everything about it is irresponsible.
      >
      > I think a defining trait of Cahokia Mounds is the "Beaded burial",
      > which was characterized by two burials, one facing up and the other
      > downward, Between the burials is a falcon-shaped cloak made from
      shell
      > beads. This mythical transcendent "Birdman" burial was found
      depicted
      > inscribed on tablets from as far away as ohio, west Virginia, and
      > possible the Easter islands.
      >
      > A very rare Native American artifact called the Kassly-Schaefer
      tablet
      > is now on permanent display at the Cahokia Mounds. This interesting
      > sandstone tablet is inscribed on both sides with symbols that
      > represent a very scarce remainder of those that were made by people
      > that lived in the civilization called the Cahokia Mounds. The
      symbols
      > were carved from sandstone at the location of the present day
      Cahokia
      > Mounds and probably are a record of tribal mythology. It had been
      left
      > at its place of discovery south of Old Valmeyer, IL for eons since
      it
      > was carried by an elite resident known as a "medicine-man" who may
      > have wiped off the dust that touched it for use as medicine. Such
      > tablets were reported as being carried in feather down pouches in
      the
      > Jesuit Chronicles such as shown in Codex Canadeinsis page 23,
      figure 34.

      > The finder Elizabeth Agnes Kassly discovered the tablet in pieces
      on
      > November 15, 2000 and May 15, 2003 after the tablet had been
      broken,
      > either by the maker or hit by a plow.
      >
      > Icons include an ancestral lineage feather on the top of the front
      > side above a deeply engraved line that represents sea water.
      Overall
      > constellation placement resembles Aquarias, the water bearer,
      however,
      > seven inscribed points on the central figure resemble an asterism
      > grouping called "Ursa Major". The front right side shows a set of
      > four downward branching lines that represent the tops of red cedar
      > trees. Beneath this is the drawing of a human foot, reminiscent of
      the
      > Nanabozho story of the Lunar maiden that was kicked off the moon by
      > two other ladies that were jealous of her meticulous perfection and
      > beauty. Beneath this is a set of 12 fringelike lines, possibly
      > representing individual months or human forms. The right leg is
      drawn
      > with a sharpened appearance and may have connections to Blackfoot
      and
      > Natoas myths of the tornado called the "Sharpened leg". The reverse
      > crosshatched side bears resemblance to scales of a venomous
      Copperhead
      > snakeskin shedding diagonally from the halfway point toward the
      right.
      > This symbol is of maya, or veiled consciousness and each x
      represents
      > the arms and legs interlocking of all the ancestral founders.
      > Completing the important discovery was an ancient pottery head that
      > was made with an insect-like right eye, an upturned beak-like nose,
      > and an open mouth showing teeth. More can be seen about these
      objects
      > at the following web locations:
      >
      > http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/clayheadkasslypage1.htm
      >
      > http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/kasslytabletbirdlarge.htm
      >
      > http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-
      pages/tabletssandstonebirdman.htm

      > The right eye probably represents the sun and the left missing eye
      > represents the moon. We will never know the exact meaning intended
      by
      > the ancient master, however, Native American Ojibwe mythology of
      > Nanabozho may represent a more recent record of parallel mythology.
      > The Ancient Finnish mythology shared such myths, and ancient latin
      > called Ogham is similar in appearance to the Red Cedar trees.
      > Doubtlessly, this tablet is filled with meaning and importance.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Vince Barrows
      >

      > Vince <v_barrows@...> wrote: Nice
      to hear from you. I am honored that you have shared my interest

      http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/news/02/pr0202.htm