Re: from PreColumbain Inscriptions-Smithsonian Inscriptions from Illinois-Rock R

  • Vince
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2007
      Nice to hear from you. I am honored that you have shared my interest
      in these important artifacts with the Ancient Waterways Society group.
      I have been researching these interesting relics of the ancient
      inhabitants of this country for a long time and so far have found
      information about approximately 12,000 tablets. I am an enthusiast
      about this country's past, and recommend the recent 2004 publication
      about the Hohokam Tablets by Devin Alan White. The tablets numbered
      701 and 160 depict interesting legends that probably correlate with
      tribal legends.

      Also interesting is the Kassly-Schaefer tablet (see
      http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/tabletssandstonebirdman.htm
      , which went on display on January 12, 2007 at the Cahokia Mounds
      Interpretive Center. Sadly, the pottery head that was found directly
      adjacent to the tablet and was obviously related to the find was
      dismissed by Site Management Bill Iseminger, who shamefully named the
      ancient artifact "Dr. Spock!" before rejecting the opportunity to
      display both pieces together, selecting only the tablet for display.
      http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/clayheadkasslypage1.htm

      Seems that there are common inscriptions dealing with legends and
      stories inscribed into the stones. I am familiar with the groups that
      you spoke of, and also would like to get involved with their studies.
      I have been reseraching the symbolism on the stones. At least three
      stones have been found at Cahokia Mounds that are nearly identical to
      the one discussed here: http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/news/02/pr0202.htm

      Unfortunately, I am no longer a volunteer at Cahokia Mounds, because
      after writing a letter to the Belleville News Democrat about the
      damage to the mounds being caused by illegal ATV 4-wheeler usage, I
      found that Site Management abhorrently opposed my effort to write
      letters to inform the Illinois government politicians about the
      problem as being. I believe that the usage of ATV traffic on the
      mounds is unacceptable. Site management at Cahokia are not in favor of
      any possibility of volunteer patrolling the site, fund raising, or any
      other kind of preservation. It is disturbing to hear how quickly they
      disregard any effort to learn about the past of the country and
      dismiss anything as controversial that is not what they have been saying.

      Look forward to further discussion with you.
      Thanks and best regards;
      Vince Barrows
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
        Please let me know if anyone has any tablets to add to this prelimiary
        listing:

        Here is the list of all the tablets that I know of:
        Inscribed Native Cahokia Mounds Tablets
        1. Birdman Tablet
        2. Kassly- Schaefer tablet
        3. Quincy Museum Tablet
        4. Ramey-Peet Tablet
        5. Perino Tablet
        6. Becker Tablet
        7. John Kelly Tablet
        8. Mary Mathews Fenaia Tablet
        9. Margie Erb Sandstone Tablet
        10. Moorehead
        11. Wilson
        12. Wendler
        13. White Sandstone Monks Mound
        14. 11-5-32 tablets ICT II tablet
        15. MSA-15A , 96-14-11
        16. MSA-15A , 93-4-1
        17.. MSA-15A , 93-4-2
        Illinois Tablets
        18. Rockford Sun Tablet
        19. Rockford Inscribed
        20. Rockford Inscribed II
        21. Ellington Stone
        Alaska Tablets
        22. Edward G. Fast Alsaka National Museum of Natural History Tablet
        23. 19_273 Alaska Baranof Island National Museum of Natural History
        Tablet
        Catlinite Tablets from Iowa/Minnesota
        24. County Museum Minnesota Tablet
        Adena Tablets
        25.Allen Tablet
        26. Berlin Tablet
        27. Waverly/ Hurst
        28. Mm6 Wright Tablet
        29. Cincinnati
        30. Gaitskill Clay
        31. Gaitskill Stone
        32. Keifer
        33. Lakin A
        34. Lakin B
        35. Low 1
        36. Low 2
        37. Meigs County
        38. Wilmington
        39. Crawford County Ohio New Hampshire Peabody Museum

        Disks:
        40. Marshall Anderson Rattlesnake Disk
        70. Angel Mounds: Of 30 sandstone plates found, four have scoring on
        one side and one has a groove
        92. Cresap Mound:, West Virginia 22 Tablets found, 1 turtle shaped and 1 shaped like a kidney
        93. Bat Creek, Eastern Tennessee
        190. Gault Site, Texas over 100 engraved stones from this site
        191. Graham Cave, MO inscribed tablet
        197. Grave Creek Mound – Six tablets including one concentric circle
        tablet, 4 plumed serpent tablets, and one inscribed with letters
        209. Twelve Stiles Site, Iowa Tablets
        409. 200 plus Blood Run Site, Iowa Tablets
        416. Six incised limestone slabs from Middle Tennessee
        418. Piqua, Ohio Ketika Figurines (two)
        474. 56 Sailing Ship tablets from Florida
        736. 262 Hardaway and Doerchuk Site Tablets from North Carolina
        737. Solomonville, AZ Tablet
        937. 300 plus tablets described by Schuster and Carpenter in Patterns
        That Connect: The social Symbolism of Tribal Art
        938. 13 CK 28 bastian Site Utz Tablet
        939. New Albin Tablet
        943. 4 Scott Couinty Iowa Tablets
        955 13 Easter island tablets
        2197. 1242 Hohokam Tablets (See Devin Alan White book)
        3327. 1130 Iberian Peninsula tablets (see
        http://research2.its.uiowa.edu/iberian/
        4327. Blombos Cave, South Africa Engraved stones (over 1000?)
        11327. Southern Illinois "burrows cave" tablets, this will add around
        7000 to the total.

        Most archaeologists do not understand the find, therefore dismissing
        it as a fraud. However, there is still so much to learn about the
        past. To assume that we know everything about it is irresponsible.

        I think a defining trait of Cahokia Mounds is the "Beaded burial",
        which was characterized by two burials, one facing up and the other
        downward, Between the burials is a falcon-shaped cloak made from shell
        beads. This mythical transcendent "Birdman" burial was found depicted
        inscribed on tablets from as far away as ohio, west Virginia, and
        possible the Easter islands.

        A very rare Native American artifact called the Kassly-Schaefer tablet
        is now on permanent display at the Cahokia Mounds. This interesting
        sandstone tablet is inscribed on both sides with symbols that
        represent a very scarce remainder of those that were made by people
        that lived in the civilization called the Cahokia Mounds. The symbols
        were carved from sandstone at the location of the present day Cahokia
        Mounds and probably are a record of tribal mythology. It had been left
        at its place of discovery south of Old Valmeyer, IL for eons since it
        was carried by an elite resident known as a "medicine-man" who may
        have wiped off the dust that touched it for use as medicine. Such
        tablets were reported as being carried in feather down pouches in the
        Jesuit Chronicles such as shown in Codex Canadeinsis page 23, figure 34.

        The finder Elizabeth Agnes Kassly discovered the tablet in pieces on
        November 15, 2000 and May 15, 2003 after the tablet had been broken,
        either by the maker or hit by a plow.

        Icons include an ancestral lineage feather on the top of the front
        side above a deeply engraved line that represents sea water. Overall
        constellation placement resembles Aquarias, the water bearer, however,
        seven inscribed points on the central figure resemble an asterism
        grouping called "Ursa Major". The front right side shows a set of
        four downward branching lines that represent the tops of red cedar
        trees. Beneath this is the drawing of a human foot, reminiscent of the
        Nanabozho story of the Lunar maiden that was kicked off the moon by
        two other ladies that were jealous of her meticulous perfection and
        beauty. Beneath this is a set of 12 fringelike lines, possibly
        representing individual months or human forms. The right leg is drawn
        with a sharpened appearance and may have connections to Blackfoot and
        Natoas myths of the tornado called the "Sharpened leg". The reverse
        crosshatched side bears resemblance to scales of a venomous Copperhead
        snakeskin shedding diagonally from the halfway point toward the right.
        This symbol is of maya, or veiled consciousness and each x represents
        the arms and legs interlocking of all the ancestral founders.
        Completing the important discovery was an ancient pottery head that
        was made with an insect-like right eye, an upturned beak-like nose,
        and an open mouth showing teeth. More can be seen about these objects
        at the following web locations:

        http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/clayheadkasslypage1.htm

        http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/kasslytabletbirdlarge.htm

        http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/tabletssandstonebirdman.htm

        The right eye probably represents the sun and the left missing eye
        represents the moon. We will never know the exact meaning intended by
        the ancient master, however, Native American Ojibwe mythology of
        Nanabozho may represent a more recent record of parallel mythology.
        The Ancient Finnish mythology shared such myths, and ancient latin
        called Ogham is similar in appearance to the Red Cedar trees.
        Doubtlessly, this tablet is filled with meaning and importance.

        Thanks
        Vince Barrows

        Vince <v_barrows@...> wrote:
[...]

        It's here! Your new message!

      • Susan English
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2007
          Welcome to the group Jon, and Vince,

          Vince, I knew awhile back some of the fine work you were doing as a
          volunteer and preservationist at Cahokia. It is that center's loss,
          including researchers and visitors, that you will no longer be
          directly involved at that site. Reading your post, it is clear your
          research there, continues. I know little of Cahokia, was in awe of
          the work you are doing, look forward to learning more here and via
          PreColumbian Inscriptions posts where many of us at various web
          groups first became acquainted with each other.

          Because of courageous preservationist efforts and fine research, you
          would be a fine addition to the Ancient American Artifact
          Preservation Foundation. I scanned/emailed your fine list of tablets
          and disks to several people: Ancient American/May, Hoffman, Rydholm,
          AAAPF/Judy Johnson. I suggest also the idea of a 2008 or 2009 AAAPF
          conference near Cahokia with the assist of those already mentioned,
          included your name as possible speaker and/or conference displayer in
          lieu of your comprehensive experience with Cahokia and unique
          collection.

          Also hopoing the Ancient Earthworks Society's activities and inter-
          group activities will increase, that they will get involved with
          AAAPF and other groups for the 2007 AAAPF/Thor conference near Ft.
          Ancient, Ohio mounds (and suggested one at Cahokia). I am trying to
          fire up the Ancient Earthworks Society as to how much impact a group
          of that name and history can have in furthering the work so many of
          you are doing individually. President Tom Solberg remarked too how
          interrelated are ancient earthworks with ancient waterways, as are
          the founding ideas behind both societies, their members, and those
          who visit the meetings and web sites....

          Vince, it is good to see you included your list of tablets on message
          boards of many groups. Such posts not only interconnect specialty
          groups, but moreso, act as resource links which become as permanent
          as the sites to which they are linked. Thus, the more sites, the
          longer lasting. Mike White from PreColumbian Inscriptions (also, this
          site, the Thor group, Ancient Vikings, and many others)is probably
          unparalleled in keenness of insights, almost photographic recall of
          data, and dedication of hours devoted to the work. Even now from a
          remote area of China. The PreColumbIan Inscriptions and posts will be
          around as long as he is. And, many of us are continuously running
          prints of posts and lists all over the globe as I have been doing
          with Vince's list, the Ancient Vikings sight, all the sites mentioned
          earlier.

          The Ancient Waterways Society intends not to duplicate other sites.
          Please continue to post upcoming meetings, conferences which relate,
          such as the Ancient Earthworks Society meeting MinnesotaStan posted
          to this group long in advance. It provided time to help set up an
          afternoon field trip and gathering at the interesting home of AES
          prsident Tom Solberg. Many of us from northern and central areas of
          the Midwest attended the meeting on the UW Madison campus, earlier
          visited remnants of old Native manitou stones w/their corresponding
          directional alignments; the site continues to be further urbanized
          by condominius development. The integrity of the site was destroyed
          long ago by carriers of the narrower view of history, those who fail
          to give value to those who lived and traded within the ancient
          Americas.

          My personal interest is as an interconnector of people and resources
          in this work, and I partially do so by way of the Internet, emailing,
          and passing on parts of letters, links, full lists such as Vince's.
          Preference is traveling across ancient waterways to meetings, distant
          conferences, trying to expand the work of you with whom I am aligned,
          believing we can make a difference in actually taking advances in
          science and the humanities and APPLYING more correct visions of who
          we human beings are. One must first find universals and how closely
          we are or have been aligned--beyond borders--in the world.

          In that sense, I am a diffusionist without borders, prefer to
          travel distances along ancient waterways making interconnections. I
          find things work best when individuals and representatives of various
          groups can get personally elbow to elbow with each other at
          centralized areas of the continent at least one or more times a year.
          In settings as close to Nature as possible, keeping costs down for
          those of simple means, helping to get people and groups comfortably
          talking together, sharing good food around campfire or hearth. I also
          help spread word of related opportunities for people and groups to
          bring data together, work collaboratively in libraries and labs in
          furthering sound scientific research.

          I am honored to be acquainted already with what I beieve are hundreds
          of people contributing to a much needed renaissance of the sciences
          and arts. An exponential rise of an even greater science and
          application of that science across the globe.

          My applause to all of you researchers involved in this work..

          M. Susan English
          http://hometown.aol.com/suzenglish/myhomepage/profile.html

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince"

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2007
            Vince, and all,

            I believe Wm. smith also mentioned this at another list, but I also
            don't see Michigan tablets/plates on the list. I was assisting at a
            Salt Lake City conference in the late 80's, early 90's when what
            remained of the tablets were moved from Michigan/Univ. of Michigan?
            to the SLC archives. Not sure if they are readily accessible to the
            public out there. As you know, articles on the Michigan tablets and
            Burrows Cave have been ongoing by dozens of authors via Ancient
            American and numerous magazines, and new information of a significant
            nature forthcoming...

            Also, many around the country own Burrows Cave items; increasingly,
            serious researchers are bringing parts of their collections to small
            group meetings and display tables at conferences such as AAAPF,
            Ancient Earthworks Society, Midwestern Epigraphic Society, etc. I
            sold a glass display cabinet to a professional with a considerable
            collection who has not yet attended AAAPF conferences nor made public
            any of his pieces, hopefully will attend the Ohio conference.

            Despite ongoing controversy and questionable scientific authenticity
            around all of the above, it only makes sense that artifacts and,
            especially scripted items be made public, photographed, investigated
            rather than destroyed, sent to obscure archives or lost to private
            collections, as has been the rule for millinnea of all that doesn't
            fit the current social, political, and religious paradigm. Continued
            evaluation over time, careful, collective research by
            professional and vocational groups such as these will bring that
            which is authentic and of priceless knowledge to light.

            Re: Burrows Cave, as I understand, a vast number of the rock art
            pieces photographed and professionally evaluated remains unpublished.
            Many of you have "Rock Art Pieces from Burrows' Cave, Volume I (of a
            Two-Volume Set) by Prof. James P. Scherz (UW Madison Dept of Civil &
            Envrionmental Engineering) & Russell E. Burrows was published in
            April, 1992, edited by Buck Trawicky. The front cover of the book
            parenthesizes a Book #2 in the continuing saga of Burrows' Cave. Buck
            and Jim Scherz attended the Ancient Earthworks meeting in the UW
            Science building two weeks ago in Madison. They, Mr. Burrows, and
            increasing others with whom I am affiliated, have expressed interest
            that the remaining photographs and data start being brought together
            into a Volume II. I believe that will happen in the very near future.
            I am starting to spark a few people in the direction of a 2008 or
            2009 S. Illinois conference near Cahokia and St. Louis with all of
            the current AAAPF groups involved, PreColumbian Inscriptions & Thor
            group, Pam G., Vince, Rick, Indiana, Kentucky, Hatcher-Childresses &
            World Exploeres Club, etc.

            Of course there will be a future one near the Burrows Cave site of
            great magnitude. Hopefully those most involved in it the past two+
            decades will still be around. All are at least in their 70's....

            For weeks last spring I was in New Orleans gutting homes, also
            walking miles door to door teaching dressing changes & simple medical
            procedures in areas still without electricity & water. I didn't get
            to Poverty Point, as I intende to do soon, but several kind-hearted
            researchers made calls of support to my cell phone at times I needed
            long breaks working with kids a third my age. Russell Burrows phoned
            the eve I departed and a number of times while in the field and I am
            happy to have a bit broader understanding of Cave subject, but
            enjoyed talking with him about other things related. John White, too,
            of Midwest Epigraphic Society, called inquiring about a small weekend
            gathering I was trying to put together for June in the Keweenaw
            Peninsula, also called. I'd gotten to know him at conferences and
            festivals around the country. Talks with Russell, John and many of
            you allowed lengthy breaks from the difficult work and opportunities
            to talk about these web groups, interrelated groups which meet
            directly, and my continuing efforts to try to interconnect diverse
            people and resources in rediscovering our ancient, global past.
            My apologies for such long conversations, but my intent is to
            interconnect us more directly, personally...

            Among discussions, I promised John White and his wife a
            continuance of a road tour Ohioan Pam Giese and I started with them
            to the end of Upper Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula on Rte. 41/26
            several years ago. Maybe others are interested also; a caravan is
            possible and you don't have to camp.

            In more than one discussion, Russell, too, liked the idea of
            small, amicable camp discussions amongst open-hearted, hospitable
            researchers, fine campfire cooking (wild rice, venison sausage),
            etc. at sites anywhere between S. Illinois and the tip of the
            Keweenaw Peninsula. No pressure placed on anyone.

            I also continue to hear mumblings about a small group of writiers
            forming soon to continue with Volume #II. of the Burrows Cave Rock
            Art Pieces, I'd started reading Volume #1 last year when Russell
            corresponded with Mike White and PreColumbian Inscriptions members
            for a time. And in many discussions over coffee or assisting Dr.
            Scherz w/survey ancient sites throughout Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.

            In the grand scheme of things, regardless whether May and a team of
            scientists gain entrance to the cave (if not already doing so), open
            minds & hearts, future dating methods, the tests of time and careful
            scrutiny will present a larger picture and what things are of value...

            Re: the Beverly Stone mentioned earlier, I was unable to get into
            Mike White's link for that site, but the only one I know of by that
            name is the "Mystery Stone" at Beverly, Kansas, referenced w/photo
            via this web site: http://s8int.com/page20.html

            Susan
            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows