Re:Ancient Artifacts preservation Society

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2008
      Ted,

      I am writing from a library but forwarded your post to AAPS board
      members Judy Johnson, David Hoffman, Jay Wakefield, Wayne May, and
      conference speaker Jeff Bennett. I said your and Herb Wagner's recent
      comments and alternative re: the copper/and future sites could be assets
      to the AAPS goals.

      The copper slab price is $250,000 rather than $350,000 and I believe
      there is already a committment and $10,000 down payment on it, but to
      me, the more brainstorming and expertise in the area of museums, design,
      research, artifact/site preservation, esthetics and ethics....the
      better.

      MSE

      Susan
      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Ted Sojka
      <tedsojka@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > ever come about.
      >
      > The $350,000 piece of copper is quite a sum to raise donations for.
      > I have another idea for a more sculptural piece for the museum.
      >
      > I can see a copper patina bronze disc, a coin lets say the size of a
      > hoola-hoop, set in a boulder, depicting the ancient native copper
      > miners and maybe there later counterparts. Also. If set on edge, both
      > sides of this coin shaped piece could have a separate design
      > representing each culture that mined copper. Th design would go in
      > the lobby of the artifact museum. The copper piece, set in lake
      > Michigan smoothed beach stones, the size of large shells. It would
      > be contained with a larger stone ring around this piece and the shell
      > sized stones.
      >
      > The UP area is full of empty buildings on main streets of towns in the
      > UP. When you decide which one has, lets say, an old empty supermarket
      > or box store building, with a parking lot, that could be the first
      > home of the ancient artifacts museum. Telling the story of pre
      > Columbian contact would be the focus along with the artifacts or even
      > photos of some of them.
      >
      > Besides the artifacts, video presentation by all the famous
      > contributors and members, could make up a half dozen changing exhibits
      > that you visited between artifacts in cases. Some murals on the large
      > walls would be done to give one the feeling of the natural setting
      > along the shores where copper is found and has been mined.
      >
      > Have any suggestions to add to this, feel free to make them.
      >
      > Frank Lloyd Wright said he always had things designed in his mind
      > before he put pencil to paper. This works well for virtual buildings
      > that may be come actual museums.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Ted Sojka
      > Art Educators of Iowa
      > Native Earthworks Preservation
      >

      > On Dec 2, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Susan wrote:
      >

      > > All,
      > >
      > > I suddenly got 'bumped' from two 12-hour nursing shifts without pay,
      > > so will console myself by hooking into my favorite group.
      > >
      > > Herb, the AAPS membership received the following email a few days
      > > ago in regard to your underwater structure web site from AAPS
      > > Secretary, Judy Johnson. Judy must not have had time to click into
      > > our Ancient Waterways Society web site for while. AAPS has had
      > > Herb's web sites on the "Links to Related Web Sites" page for a
      > > couple of years:
      > >
      > > http://www.aaapf.org/scripts/openExtra.asp?extra=11 but must not
      > > have seen the summer, 2007 Ancient Underwater Road? page.
      > >
      > > Again, if anyone wishes to join AAPS or add your own related page
      > > to the AAPS "Links to Related Web Sites", contact information
      > > follows Judy's letter. It would be an interesting talk, Herb, if
      > > you enjoy speaking and would provide opportunities for you to add
      > > your own ideas.
      > >
      > > The man who has found these intriguing things may be a good
      > > candidate for speaker at our conf. in Sept. I'm contacting

      http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.atthecreation.com/ROAD\
      /101.0140.road.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.atthecreation.com/ROAD/UNDERWATE\
      R.RD.html&usg=__AKwAEuC1IlfR6GAPBSVpvLfnvAo=&h=281&w=360&sz=14&hl=en&sta\
      rt=34&tbnid=H9vzK-pi87j0KM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=121&prev=/images%3Fq%3DISLE%2BR\
      OYALE%2BANCIENT%2BCOPPER%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26\
      sa%3DN

> [...]
      > > I do agree with your comments in the last post, Herb, that the
      > > large slab of float copper... "
      > >
      > > belongs outside in a beautiful unspoiled natural setting along a
      > > stream or a river to give it back its original 'spirit power'".
      > >
      > > Perhaps that could be a viable alternative if and when AAPS raises
      > > money for the copper slab before they borrow or start raising funs
      > > for a new museum, staffing, upkeep and maintenance in the
      > > economically depressed areas of Upper Michigan and the Keweenaw
      > > Peninsula. The Keweenaw Peninsula's pristine. natural beauty. to
      > > me, is unsurpassed.
      > >
      > > Ted, I found the experiences within your post quite interesting
      > > about the hauling and placement of giant copper masses. It might be
      > > extremely helpful on this matter too, if retired geologists such as
      > > Dr. George Rapp from UW Duluth, whom I believe Herb knows or Dr.
      > > Eiler Hendricson of Carlton College, with whom I am acquainted,
      > > who are familiar with ancient Lake Superior copper and Eastern
      > > Minnesota-NW Wisconsin geology might be consulted re: water level
      > > variations through the centuries or millinnea.
      > >
      > > Re-reading Dr. James Scherz' paper "Old Water Levels and Waterways
      > > During the Ancient Copper Mining Era" (that this web site was named
      > > after), I'd think any glacial rebound/uplift considerations would
      > > have put that part of the state even lower/water levels higher and
      > > thus impossible for a stone road to have been laid for transporting
      > > copper or anything else. Perhaps the land might have been higher
      > > in more recent times, or prior to the last 'glacial period'. Soon
      > > as Scherz stops in Wausau again, I will show him how to sign on as a
      > > member and perhaps he will add some ideas about why that structure
      > > is underwater. I know he is also intrigued by the photos, is
      > > familiar with the terraine of most of Wisconsin and I don't know of
      > > any 'natural' area that even resembles it. Jim's paper (in part) is
      > > post #656. He said we may post the entire paper if someone knows
      > > how to copy it to a link. There is quite a bit on isostatic rebound/
      > > uplift:
      > >
      > > Some day when Steve Garcia retires, I will look forward to a paper
      > > or book on what he has to say about 'glaciers'.
      > >
      > > Most of you might not realize how intriguingly diverse are
      > > backgrounds of each of you and what an interesting group of people
      > > you are here. Nor the incredible synergies possible from a
      > > cooperative, noncompetitive, well mannered group we have here
      > > wiithin this inique, Ancient Waterways Society ...
      > >
      > > Thank you, Susan
      > >

      > > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"
      > > herbswoods@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Susan & all:
      > > >
      > > > When I was last up the UP two years ago I talked to an older
      > > gentleman
      > > > at Quincy Hoist and he told me about a very large copper mass of
      > > float
      > > > that was on private land and that the owner was trying to sell.
      I'm
      > > > guessing it's the same one. As I recall he referred to it as not
      > > being
      > > > far away from Quincy, which would place it "down there" from C.H.
      > > It's
      > > > in my notes. It would be GREAT if they could obtain it, but that's
      > > > lot of money to raise. In my opinion, it belongs outside in a
      > > > beautiful unspoiled natural setting along a stream or a river to
      > > give
      > > > it back its original "spirit power."
      > > >
      > > > Speaking of great copper rocks, I'm working on a new project now
      and
      > > > in my research discovered that very early on in the 17th century
      > > there
      > > > was another very large copper mass on the shore of Lake Superior
      > > near
      > > > the mouth of the Iron River in Bayfield County, Wis. Apparantly it
      > > was
      > > > cut up and removed before 1800. Some believe that originally it
      was
      > > > even larger than the famed Ontonagon Copper Rock. This Iron River
      > > mass
      > > > also seems to have had the "magical" ability to hide, move, and
      > > vanish
      > > > at will. All documented. Indian belief held that rocks could move.
      > > > After all, rocks even fall out of the sky!
      > > >
      > > > Re: Underwater Road (Wis.) Yes, I tried to re-visit the underwater
      > > > "road" this past summer which was cool and not very good for
      > > diving. I
      > > > need to update my webpage and tell the experience, which was a
      > > strange
      > > > one.
      > > >

      > > > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"

      > > Rydholm
      Marquette,
      > > the new
      > > Lee, for
      DVD

      http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4RNWN_enU

      http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/518822.html?nav=5056

      http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/518817.html?nav=5006

      <http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/518817.html?nav=500
      > > \

      > > Johnson, and
      > > the
      > > you
      > > Mexico, then
      > > mentioned
      > > Provinces and NE
      > > remaining

      > > of solid
      > > Keweenaw

      > > will be
      > > museum. The
      > > for, and to
      > > This
      > > the world
      > > brought
      > > an
      > > The
      > > piece.)"

      > > Others
      > > site. She,

      > > organization
      > > somewhat out of
      > > the

      > > landholder)
      > > Waterways
      > > committee
      > > and Jeff
      > > kept
      > > ancient

      > > Copper
      > > slab
      > > road'
      > > in the
      > > Hwy 41
      > > stop,
      > > wooden sign

      > > Allman
      > > YahooProfiles
      > > names,
      > > ramblin
      > > Hwy 41:

      Herb:

      > > herb's
      > > outstanding
      > > different from
      > > Michigan, and

      David
      > > copperculture

      > > underwater
      > > so much
      > > if you
      > > Gris

      > > mentioned.
      > > it?

      > > distance of
      > > Tribute of
      The

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2008
        Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 9:31 PM
        Subject: New DVD Ready

        www.superiorheartland.com has the tribute evening of November at the Kaufman Auditorium, available as a DVD.  It is the whole program of people speaking to Fred for almost 3 hours of hilarious stories.  It is now ready for your enjoyment.   Another DVD that is new, it is the Fred and Henry Ford stories as they knew each other at HMC [Huron Mountain Club] and Ford in the Upper Peninsula.  I hope you can google these web sites in.  The following video/movie is also going to be available on the superiorheartland site too.  But here I copied from the joleproductions site and I lose control of this copy.  Just scroll down to read about the video.   It is really good.

        JoLe Productions' documentary on Fred Rydholm, Let Me Not Drown on the Waters: Fred Rydholm Michigan's "Mr. Copper" is a totally finished product (see catalog at http://www.joleproductions.com/). It's a 34 minute DVD, already packaged in movie boxes with color jacket, Fred's photo is on the front, line notes on the back, priced @ $24.00 retail. The DVD's are ready for immediate shipment.   JoLe Productions uses a well-known local production house (Video Kitchen) for the production of all its final products. We have the ability to re-order, any quantity, and receive finished DVD's within 48 hours.

        To Order On Line using your credit card via Pay Pal, use Catalog section.
        To Order via mail, (check, or money order), use Order Form section.

        Fred Rydholm Michigan's Mr. Copper
        Let Me Not Drown on the Waters: Fred Rydholm Michigan's "Mr. Copper"
        DVD 34 Minutes $24.00
        Fred Rydholm for more than 70 years has pursued the question of what happened to the massive amount of ancient copper mined between 5,000 BC and 1200 BC in the UP of Michigan and on Isle Royale. His lifetime research has taken him to places around the world looking for answers to haunting questions raised by evidence of Old World, pre-Columbian contact with the Americas. He's a well-respected historian, having written the classic, Superior Heartland A Backwoods History, consisting of more than 1500 pages of unique and fascinating information. Reading the book is like sitting in front of the fireplace and hearing the pioneers themselves tell their own stories. His most recent book, Michigan Copper The Untold Story, contains a great wealth of evidence supporting diffusion. Fred is also a consummate storyteller, a trait instantly seen when you're around him only a few moments. He simply has that innate ability to uplift you with joy and laughter. Let Me Not Drown on the Waters: Fred Rydholm Michigan's "Mr. Copper" sets out to capture the essence of this unique and deeply loved man from Marquette.

        I hope this helps you find these fun entertainments for the holidays.   Love  June