from PreColumbain Inscriptions-Smithsonian Inscriptions from Illinois-Rock River

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2007
      Ancient Waterways Society members and observers,

      A sudden death in the family in Rock Falls/Dixon, Illinois will take
      me early this week on a first trip west of Rockford along the Rock
      River to the Dixon Mounds.

      I hope Cahokia Mounds volunteer, Vince Barrows won't mind that I am
      inserting into the Ancient Waterways messages the entire Post that he
      wrote to the PreColumbian Inscriptions web site re: the 1874
      discovery of the Ellington Stone and skeletal remains of another
      person of extremely tall structure found during investigation at a
      Rock River mound. I'd sent an article earlier in the week of a
      similar ancient skeletal find along the Chicago River.

      As most of you know, the Rock River connects with the Mississippi
      River, also flows south of the property along the Aztalan Mounds near
      Rock Lake, Wisconsin, down through Rockford, Illinois. If anyone has
      further information of interest, interconnecting great finds along
      the Rock River to other ancient MIssissippi River tributaries to and
      from the ancient Great Lakes, please post to this and other
      diffusionist sites listed earlier. Such things may not solve one
      puzzle, but add to the size of an ever-enlargening picture of who it
      is we human beings really are....

      Susan ....connecting people and resources along Ancient Great Lakes-
      Mississippi Riverways to global ports beyond.
      ______________________________________
      http://ellingtonstone.org/barrowsArcheology.html

      Hi, check out this webpage if your interested in inscribed stones that
      were found in Rockford, IL.

      The only other Chicago Tribune article about them is attached below,
      as I have hereby transcribed from the original. Below this is some
      interesting research into the meaning of the symbols described on the
      Rockford Sun tablet.

      Rockford
      Special Correspondence of the Tribune
      Chicago Daily Tribune (1872- 1963); Mar 16, 1878; ProQuest Historical
      Newspapers Chicago Tribune (1849-1985) Pg. 5
      ROCKFORD
      The Tablet Discovered in 1874 in a Rock-River Mound
      Special Correspndence of the Tribune
      ROCKFORD, Ill. March 15 – In the spring of 1874, complying with a
      suggestion of the Smithsonian Institution, a company, under the
      leadership of E.C. Dunn, M.D., started out for the purpose of
      Investigating the tumuli, or mounds, that about along the banks of
      Rock River. Editors and other prominent citizens took great interest
      in the enterprise.

      On digging into one, several alternate strata of sand, clay, and loam
      indicated that it was an artificial structure. Aside from the
      discovery of flint weapons and other small articles, there was found
      the complete skeleton of a man,, who must have towered pre-eminent
      among his fellows, as, from careful measurement, his height was placed
      at seven feet four inches. Not far distant from this mound, in one of
      similar construction, a small piece of stone, three and one half
      inches long and two inches wide, was discovered. An engraved side of
      the stone is surrounded by a series of straight lines placed at an
      angle of forty-five degrees to the edges, making the ornamentation
      diamonds and half-diamonds. The central and upper portion of the
      tablet is occupied by a figure of the sun, overlaid by a figure of the
      new moon, -- the surface of the sun being filled in with details of a
      human face, and the moon being divided into five sections. Below this
      is a character like an elongated T upside down. On the right hand
      occur seven symbols, one below the other, -- the upper two being exact
      reproductions of the archaic Greek letters Sigma and Upsilon. Below
      these two are a cross, a fish, a water-cooler, two parallel marks
      cross by two other parallel marks, and a second fish. To the left of
      the central figures are letters of the Greek alphabet. These are
      semicircular, terminal Sigma, and Delta. Next come a serpent and
      lizard and lastly, a mace, or a lighted torch.

      Apparently these characters signify nothing of special importance;
      but, to the scientist, a world of knowledge will be gleaned therefrom.

      Yesterday, Prof. J.K. Hornish, of Keokuk. Iowa, arrived in the city,
      and his visit here revives the sensation relating to the discovery of
      the above-named tablet. Prof. Hornish has been a scientist of
      acknowledged ability for many years past, devoting his time to a
      thorough research of the origin of races and languages. He is now
      engaged in writing a treatise on the tablet in question, as to the
      significance of its characters. In order more fully to establish the
      genuineness of the tablet, he as come to make a thorough investigation
      of the incidents connected with its discovery. He pronounces the
      tablet one of great interest and wonder, having a history equaling, if
      not exceeding, that of the great pyramids of Egypt. The characters,
      being a combination of language and numbers, relate to no complete
      language, but to the first primitive languages, when laws and religion
      were founded upon natural science before it merged into Phallicism.
      The Professor claims he has found fragments of characters, but never
      found them before in their totality. He gives his ideas concerning
      the tablet in brief as follows: Creation and the essyle of creation
      are held in equated adjustment by the sun, supplemented by the moon as
      a notator of measure, in the ratio of the sacred cubit 25, or its
      square root 5. The above are the two words "Kad" and "Sveth," on
      either side of the sun. The next two words are "Liptcha" and "Moon.",
      meaning life, or that which produces life, are held in perpendicular
      adjustment. "Liptcha" is the primitive from which we draw our word
      "Life" and "Moyan" gives us moon; moneta, money; and similar ideas
      which involve organic form, carrying the volume of the meaning in the
      life, or stamps. Twelve letters and four numbers also equate in
      perfect geometrical relation, and prove the symbolized meanings.
      Prof. Hornish says the tablet may originally have come from Asia.
      Whether found in the mound above described or not, its genuineness he
      does not doubt. His theories will undoubtedly cause considerable
      discussion regarding the purposes and origin of these earthworks. He
      demonstrates his ideas on purely geometrical rules and principles –
      simple, yet conclusive.
      _____

      HORNISH, JOSEPH K., attorney at law; born in Westmoreland Co., Penn.;
      came to Keokuk in October, 1850; since 1853, he has been prominently
      identified with the organization and construction of the railroads of
      this vicinity; he has also taken an active interest in politics; was a
      War Democrat; has been a candidate for Congress in this district,
      running far ahead of his ticket at the time.

      Indo-European Roots
      Kad - To fall. Oldest form * ad-, becoming *kad- in centum languages.
      cadaver, cadence, cadent, caducous, cascade, case1, casual, casualty,
      casuist, chance, chute; accident, decay, deciduous, escheat, incident,
      occasion, occident, recidivism, from Latin cadere, to fall, die.
      (Pokorny 1. ad- 516.)

      leip- To stick, adhere; fat.
      Derivatives include life and liver1.
      1. life, lively, from Old English l f, life (< "continuance"), from
      Germanic *l bam. 2a. live1, from Old English lifian, libban, to live;
      b. lebensraum, from Old High German leb n, to live. Both a and b from
      Germanic *lib n. 3a. leave1, from Old English l fan, to leave, have
      remaining; b. delay, relay, from Old French laier, to leave, from
      Frankish *laibjan. Both a and b from o-grade Germanic causative
      *-laibjan. 4. liver1, from Old English lifer, liver (formerly believed
      to be the blood-producing organ), from Germanic *libr . 5. Zero-grade
      form *lip-. lipo-, from Greek lipos, fat. 6. Variant form * leibh-.
      aliphatic; synalepha, from Greek aleiphein, to anoint with oil.
      (Pokorny 1. leip- 670.)

      tek- To beget, give birth to. 1. Suffixed form *tek-no-, child. thane,
      from Old English thegn, freeman, nobleman, military vassal, warrior,
      from Germanic *thegnaz, boy, man, servant, warrior. 2. Suffixed
      o-grade form *tok-o-. oxytocic, polytocous, tocology, from Greek
      tokos, birth. (Pokorny 1. tek- 1057.)

      See PreColumbian Inscriptions Message # 9583
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Precolumbian_Inscriptions/
      (Click Messages, then scroll to Post # 9583)
    • Vince
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2007
        Nice to hear from you. I am honored that you have shared my interest
        in these important artifacts with the Ancient Waterways Society group.
        I have been researching these interesting relics of the ancient
        inhabitants of this country for a long time and so far have found
        information about approximately 12,000 tablets. I am an enthusiast
        about this country's past, and recommend the recent 2004 publication
        about the Hohokam Tablets by Devin Alan White. The tablets numbered
        701 and 160 depict interesting legends that probably correlate with
        tribal legends.

        Also interesting is the Kassly-Schaefer tablet (see
        http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/tabletssandstonebirdman.htm
        , which went on display on January 12, 2007 at the Cahokia Mounds
        Interpretive Center. Sadly, the pottery head that was found directly
        adjacent to the tablet and was obviously related to the find was
        dismissed by Site Management Bill Iseminger, who shamefully named the
        ancient artifact "Dr. Spock!" before rejecting the opportunity to
        display both pieces together, selecting only the tablet for display.
        http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/clayheadkasslypage1.htm

        Seems that there are common inscriptions dealing with legends and
        stories inscribed into the stones. I am familiar with the groups that
        you spoke of, and also would like to get involved with their studies.
        I have been reseraching the symbolism on the stones. At least three
        stones have been found at Cahokia Mounds that are nearly identical to
        the one discussed here: http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/news/02/pr0202.htm

        Unfortunately, I am no longer a volunteer at Cahokia Mounds, because
        after writing a letter to the Belleville News Democrat about the
        damage to the mounds being caused by illegal ATV 4-wheeler usage, I
        found that Site Management abhorrently opposed my effort to write
        letters to inform the Illinois government politicians about the
        problem as being. I believe that the usage of ATV traffic on the
        mounds is unacceptable. Site management at Cahokia are not in favor of
        any possibility of volunteer patrolling the site, fund raising, or any
        other kind of preservation. It is disturbing to hear how quickly they
        disregard any effort to learn about the past of the country and
        dismiss anything as controversial that is not what they have been saying.

        Look forward to further discussion with you.
        Thanks and best regards;
        Vince Barrows
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
          Please let me know if anyone has any tablets to add to this prelimiary
          listing:

          Here is the list of all the tablets that I know of:
          Inscribed Native Cahokia Mounds Tablets
          1. Birdman Tablet
          2. Kassly- Schaefer tablet
          3. Quincy Museum Tablet
          4. Ramey-Peet Tablet
          5. Perino Tablet
          6. Becker Tablet
          7. John Kelly Tablet
          8. Mary Mathews Fenaia Tablet
          9. Margie Erb Sandstone Tablet
          10. Moorehead
          11. Wilson
          12. Wendler
          13. White Sandstone Monks Mound
          14. 11-5-32 tablets ICT II tablet
          15. MSA-15A , 96-14-11
          16. MSA-15A , 93-4-1
          17.. MSA-15A , 93-4-2
          Illinois Tablets
          18. Rockford Sun Tablet
          19. Rockford Inscribed
          20. Rockford Inscribed II
          21. Ellington Stone
          Alaska Tablets
          22. Edward G. Fast Alsaka National Museum of Natural History Tablet
          23. 19_273 Alaska Baranof Island National Museum of Natural History
          Tablet
          Catlinite Tablets from Iowa/Minnesota
          24. County Museum Minnesota Tablet
          Adena Tablets
          25.Allen Tablet
          26. Berlin Tablet
          27. Waverly/ Hurst
          28. Mm6 Wright Tablet
          29. Cincinnati
          30. Gaitskill Clay
          31. Gaitskill Stone
          32. Keifer
          33. Lakin A
          34. Lakin B
          35. Low 1
          36. Low 2
          37. Meigs County
          38. Wilmington
          39. Crawford County Ohio New Hampshire Peabody Museum

          Disks:
          40. Marshall Anderson Rattlesnake Disk
          70. Angel Mounds: Of 30 sandstone plates found, four have scoring on
          one side and one has a groove
          92. Cresap Mound:, West Virginia 22 Tablets found, 1 turtle shaped and 1 shaped like a kidney
          93. Bat Creek, Eastern Tennessee
          190. Gault Site, Texas over 100 engraved stones from this site
          191. Graham Cave, MO inscribed tablet
          197. Grave Creek Mound – Six tablets including one concentric circle
          tablet, 4 plumed serpent tablets, and one inscribed with letters
          209. Twelve Stiles Site, Iowa Tablets
          409. 200 plus Blood Run Site, Iowa Tablets
          416. Six incised limestone slabs from Middle Tennessee
          418. Piqua, Ohio Ketika Figurines (two)
          474. 56 Sailing Ship tablets from Florida
          736. 262 Hardaway and Doerchuk Site Tablets from North Carolina
          737. Solomonville, AZ Tablet
          937. 300 plus tablets described by Schuster and Carpenter in Patterns
          That Connect: The social Symbolism of Tribal Art
          938. 13 CK 28 bastian Site Utz Tablet
          939. New Albin Tablet
          943. 4 Scott Couinty Iowa Tablets
          955 13 Easter island tablets
          2197. 1242 Hohokam Tablets (See Devin Alan White book)
          3327. 1130 Iberian Peninsula tablets (see
          http://research2.its.uiowa.edu/iberian/
          4327. Blombos Cave, South Africa Engraved stones (over 1000?)
          11327. Southern Illinois "burrows cave" tablets, this will add around
          7000 to the total.

          Most archaeologists do not understand the find, therefore dismissing
          it as a fraud. However, there is still so much to learn about the
          past. To assume that we know everything about it is irresponsible.

          I think a defining trait of Cahokia Mounds is the "Beaded burial",
          which was characterized by two burials, one facing up and the other
          downward, Between the burials is a falcon-shaped cloak made from shell
          beads. This mythical transcendent "Birdman" burial was found depicted
          inscribed on tablets from as far away as ohio, west Virginia, and
          possible the Easter islands.

          A very rare Native American artifact called the Kassly-Schaefer tablet
          is now on permanent display at the Cahokia Mounds. This interesting
          sandstone tablet is inscribed on both sides with symbols that
          represent a very scarce remainder of those that were made by people
          that lived in the civilization called the Cahokia Mounds. The symbols
          were carved from sandstone at the location of the present day Cahokia
          Mounds and probably are a record of tribal mythology. It had been left
          at its place of discovery south of Old Valmeyer, IL for eons since it
          was carried by an elite resident known as a "medicine-man" who may
          have wiped off the dust that touched it for use as medicine. Such
          tablets were reported as being carried in feather down pouches in the
          Jesuit Chronicles such as shown in Codex Canadeinsis page 23, figure 34.

          The finder Elizabeth Agnes Kassly discovered the tablet in pieces on
          November 15, 2000 and May 15, 2003 after the tablet had been broken,
          either by the maker or hit by a plow.

          Icons include an ancestral lineage feather on the top of the front
          side above a deeply engraved line that represents sea water. Overall
          constellation placement resembles Aquarias, the water bearer, however,
          seven inscribed points on the central figure resemble an asterism
          grouping called "Ursa Major". The front right side shows a set of
          four downward branching lines that represent the tops of red cedar
          trees. Beneath this is the drawing of a human foot, reminiscent of the
          Nanabozho story of the Lunar maiden that was kicked off the moon by
          two other ladies that were jealous of her meticulous perfection and
          beauty. Beneath this is a set of 12 fringelike lines, possibly
          representing individual months or human forms. The right leg is drawn
          with a sharpened appearance and may have connections to Blackfoot and
          Natoas myths of the tornado called the "Sharpened leg". The reverse
          crosshatched side bears resemblance to scales of a venomous Copperhead
          snakeskin shedding diagonally from the halfway point toward the right.
          This symbol is of maya, or veiled consciousness and each x represents
          the arms and legs interlocking of all the ancestral founders.
          Completing the important discovery was an ancient pottery head that
          was made with an insect-like right eye, an upturned beak-like nose,
          and an open mouth showing teeth. More can be seen about these objects
          at the following web locations:

          http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/clayheadkasslypage1.htm

          http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/kasslytabletbirdlarge.htm

          http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/tabletssandstonebirdman.htm

          The right eye probably represents the sun and the left missing eye
          represents the moon. We will never know the exact meaning intended by
          the ancient master, however, Native American Ojibwe mythology of
          Nanabozho may represent a more recent record of parallel mythology.
          The Ancient Finnish mythology shared such myths, and ancient latin
          called Ogham is similar in appearance to the Red Cedar trees.
          Doubtlessly, this tablet is filled with meaning and importance.

          Thanks
          Vince Barrows

          Vince <v_barrows@...> wrote:
[...]

          It's here! Your new message!

        • Susan English
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 27, 2007
            Welcome to the group Jon, and Vince,

            Vince, I knew awhile back some of the fine work you were doing as a
            volunteer and preservationist at Cahokia. It is that center's loss,
            including researchers and visitors, that you will no longer be
            directly involved at that site. Reading your post, it is clear your
            research there, continues. I know little of Cahokia, was in awe of
            the work you are doing, look forward to learning more here and via
            PreColumbian Inscriptions posts where many of us at various web
            groups first became acquainted with each other.

            Because of courageous preservationist efforts and fine research, you
            would be a fine addition to the Ancient American Artifact
            Preservation Foundation. I scanned/emailed your fine list of tablets
            and disks to several people: Ancient American/May, Hoffman, Rydholm,
            AAAPF/Judy Johnson. I suggest also the idea of a 2008 or 2009 AAAPF
            conference near Cahokia with the assist of those already mentioned,
            included your name as possible speaker and/or conference displayer in
            lieu of your comprehensive experience with Cahokia and unique
            collection.

            Also hopoing the Ancient Earthworks Society's activities and inter-
            group activities will increase, that they will get involved with
            AAAPF and other groups for the 2007 AAAPF/Thor conference near Ft.
            Ancient, Ohio mounds (and suggested one at Cahokia). I am trying to
            fire up the Ancient Earthworks Society as to how much impact a group
            of that name and history can have in furthering the work so many of
            you are doing individually. President Tom Solberg remarked too how
            interrelated are ancient earthworks with ancient waterways, as are
            the founding ideas behind both societies, their members, and those
            who visit the meetings and web sites....

            Vince, it is good to see you included your list of tablets on message
            boards of many groups. Such posts not only interconnect specialty
            groups, but moreso, act as resource links which become as permanent
            as the sites to which they are linked. Thus, the more sites, the
            longer lasting. Mike White from PreColumbian Inscriptions (also, this
            site, the Thor group, Ancient Vikings, and many others)is probably
            unparalleled in keenness of insights, almost photographic recall of
            data, and dedication of hours devoted to the work. Even now from a
            remote area of China. The PreColumbIan Inscriptions and posts will be
            around as long as he is. And, many of us are continuously running
            prints of posts and lists all over the globe as I have been doing
            with Vince's list, the Ancient Vikings sight, all the sites mentioned
            earlier.

            The Ancient Waterways Society intends not to duplicate other sites.
            Please continue to post upcoming meetings, conferences which relate,
            such as the Ancient Earthworks Society meeting MinnesotaStan posted
            to this group long in advance. It provided time to help set up an
            afternoon field trip and gathering at the interesting home of AES
            prsident Tom Solberg. Many of us from northern and central areas of
            the Midwest attended the meeting on the UW Madison campus, earlier
            visited remnants of old Native manitou stones w/their corresponding
            directional alignments; the site continues to be further urbanized
            by condominius development. The integrity of the site was destroyed
            long ago by carriers of the narrower view of history, those who fail
            to give value to those who lived and traded within the ancient
            Americas.

            My personal interest is as an interconnector of people and resources
            in this work, and I partially do so by way of the Internet, emailing,
            and passing on parts of letters, links, full lists such as Vince's.
            Preference is traveling across ancient waterways to meetings, distant
            conferences, trying to expand the work of you with whom I am aligned,
            believing we can make a difference in actually taking advances in
            science and the humanities and APPLYING more correct visions of who
            we human beings are. One must first find universals and how closely
            we are or have been aligned--beyond borders--in the world.

            In that sense, I am a diffusionist without borders, prefer to
            travel distances along ancient waterways making interconnections. I
            find things work best when individuals and representatives of various
            groups can get personally elbow to elbow with each other at
            centralized areas of the continent at least one or more times a year.
            In settings as close to Nature as possible, keeping costs down for
            those of simple means, helping to get people and groups comfortably
            talking together, sharing good food around campfire or hearth. I also
            help spread word of related opportunities for people and groups to
            bring data together, work collaboratively in libraries and labs in
            furthering sound scientific research.

            I am honored to be acquainted already with what I beieve are hundreds
            of people contributing to a much needed renaissance of the sciences
            and arts. An exponential rise of an even greater science and
            application of that science across the globe.

            My applause to all of you researchers involved in this work..

            M. Susan English
            http://hometown.aol.com/suzenglish/myhomepage/profile.html

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Vince"

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 29, 2007
              Vince, and all,

              I believe Wm. smith also mentioned this at another list, but I also
              don't see Michigan tablets/plates on the list. I was assisting at a
              Salt Lake City conference in the late 80's, early 90's when what
              remained of the tablets were moved from Michigan/Univ. of Michigan?
              to the SLC archives. Not sure if they are readily accessible to the
              public out there. As you know, articles on the Michigan tablets and
              Burrows Cave have been ongoing by dozens of authors via Ancient
              American and numerous magazines, and new information of a significant
              nature forthcoming...

              Also, many around the country own Burrows Cave items; increasingly,
              serious researchers are bringing parts of their collections to small
              group meetings and display tables at conferences such as AAAPF,
              Ancient Earthworks Society, Midwestern Epigraphic Society, etc. I
              sold a glass display cabinet to a professional with a considerable
              collection who has not yet attended AAAPF conferences nor made public
              any of his pieces, hopefully will attend the Ohio conference.

              Despite ongoing controversy and questionable scientific authenticity
              around all of the above, it only makes sense that artifacts and,
              especially scripted items be made public, photographed, investigated
              rather than destroyed, sent to obscure archives or lost to private
              collections, as has been the rule for millinnea of all that doesn't
              fit the current social, political, and religious paradigm. Continued
              evaluation over time, careful, collective research by
              professional and vocational groups such as these will bring that
              which is authentic and of priceless knowledge to light.

              Re: Burrows Cave, as I understand, a vast number of the rock art
              pieces photographed and professionally evaluated remains unpublished.
              Many of you have "Rock Art Pieces from Burrows' Cave, Volume I (of a
              Two-Volume Set) by Prof. James P. Scherz (UW Madison Dept of Civil &
              Envrionmental Engineering) & Russell E. Burrows was published in
              April, 1992, edited by Buck Trawicky. The front cover of the book
              parenthesizes a Book #2 in the continuing saga of Burrows' Cave. Buck
              and Jim Scherz attended the Ancient Earthworks meeting in the UW
              Science building two weeks ago in Madison. They, Mr. Burrows, and
              increasing others with whom I am affiliated, have expressed interest
              that the remaining photographs and data start being brought together
              into a Volume II. I believe that will happen in the very near future.
              I am starting to spark a few people in the direction of a 2008 or
              2009 S. Illinois conference near Cahokia and St. Louis with all of
              the current AAAPF groups involved, PreColumbian Inscriptions & Thor
              group, Pam G., Vince, Rick, Indiana, Kentucky, Hatcher-Childresses &
              World Exploeres Club, etc.

              Of course there will be a future one near the Burrows Cave site of
              great magnitude. Hopefully those most involved in it the past two+
              decades will still be around. All are at least in their 70's....

              For weeks last spring I was in New Orleans gutting homes, also
              walking miles door to door teaching dressing changes & simple medical
              procedures in areas still without electricity & water. I didn't get
              to Poverty Point, as I intende to do soon, but several kind-hearted
              researchers made calls of support to my cell phone at times I needed
              long breaks working with kids a third my age. Russell Burrows phoned
              the eve I departed and a number of times while in the field and I am
              happy to have a bit broader understanding of Cave subject, but
              enjoyed talking with him about other things related. John White, too,
              of Midwest Epigraphic Society, called inquiring about a small weekend
              gathering I was trying to put together for June in the Keweenaw
              Peninsula, also called. I'd gotten to know him at conferences and
              festivals around the country. Talks with Russell, John and many of
              you allowed lengthy breaks from the difficult work and opportunities
              to talk about these web groups, interrelated groups which meet
              directly, and my continuing efforts to try to interconnect diverse
              people and resources in rediscovering our ancient, global past.
              My apologies for such long conversations, but my intent is to
              interconnect us more directly, personally...

              Among discussions, I promised John White and his wife a
              continuance of a road tour Ohioan Pam Giese and I started with them
              to the end of Upper Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula on Rte. 41/26
              several years ago. Maybe others are interested also; a caravan is
              possible and you don't have to camp.

              In more than one discussion, Russell, too, liked the idea of
              small, amicable camp discussions amongst open-hearted, hospitable
              researchers, fine campfire cooking (wild rice, venison sausage),
              etc. at sites anywhere between S. Illinois and the tip of the
              Keweenaw Peninsula. No pressure placed on anyone.

              I also continue to hear mumblings about a small group of writiers
              forming soon to continue with Volume #II. of the Burrows Cave Rock
              Art Pieces, I'd started reading Volume #1 last year when Russell
              corresponded with Mike White and PreColumbian Inscriptions members
              for a time. And in many discussions over coffee or assisting Dr.
              Scherz w/survey ancient sites throughout Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.

              In the grand scheme of things, regardless whether May and a team of
              scientists gain entrance to the cave (if not already doing so), open
              minds & hearts, future dating methods, the tests of time and careful
              scrutiny will present a larger picture and what things are of value...

              Re: the Beverly Stone mentioned earlier, I was unable to get into
              Mike White's link for that site, but the only one I know of by that
              name is the "Mystery Stone" at Beverly, Kansas, referenced w/photo
              via this web site: http://s8int.com/page20.html

              Susan
              --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows