Re: From MES: The Ancient Stone Maps by Wm.& Marilyn Kreisle

  • Terry J. Deveau
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2008
      > In Search of Hard Evidence
      > The Ancient Stone Maps by William and Marilyn Kreisle
      > http://www.midwesternepigraphic.org/sMap01.html

      This article on the MES website appears to be from the MES Journal,
      Vol. 8, 1994, p. 36.

      > I am intrigued by the reference in the article to a "Norse Fort".

      The specific quotation from the article is as follows:

      "Map 1 extends farther north than Map 2, probably beyond the St.
      Croix River in Wisconsin, but not as far north as a Norse Fort[2],
      recently discovered in Minnesota by aerial photography. See
      Illustration A, below, left. This may tell us that the originators of
      the maps came from the south and were not Norsemen.

      [2] Cover page of the Journal of The American Society of
      Photogrammetry, Vol. XXXIX, No. 12, December 1973. (Illustration A)"

      > Does anyone have any other references or information that
      > pertain to this "Norse Fort"?

      I do hope someone can come forward and give some more information
      about this. I'm not having any success at all in finding out anything
      about it, and I've never heard of it before.

      > I've ordered the Photogrammetry publication cited by the
      > Kreisle's, so perhaps there will be more info in there.

      I got a hold of the magazine. The title of the journal is
      actually "Photogrammetric Engineering." There does not appear to be
      any article associated with the cover photo at all. The only text
      relating to the cover photo, that I've been able to find, is on p.
      1233 (which is actually the first inside page of the issue), directly
      under the masthead, and reads as follows:

      "COVER PHOTO -- Archeologists used aerial photographs in studying
      this site at Taniwha in New Zealand. The fortification has ditch and
      bank defences and many storage pits. Recent excavations and other
      activities of the archeologists can be seen. A power line crosses the
      left side of the view. Photo taken by Aero Surveys Limited of
      Tauranga, New Zealand."

      Now I'm really confused. The reference cited by the Kreisle's for
      the "Norse Fort" in Minnesota is actually about an archeology site in
      New Zealand.

      Can somebody help me here?

      Terry