Illinois, Ohio Historic Sites Shut down

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2008
      This is to send my deep concern about the recent budget cuts to Illinois and Ohio Historic sites.

      Join Historic Preservation workers
      in Nov. 25 demonstration at governor's mansion

      The fight continues to preserve the state’s historic heritage and save the jobs of those who protect and nurture this history. Employees of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency are holding a demonstration at the Governor’s Mansion at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 25, and all AFSCME members in the Springfield area are urged to attend. The Blagojevich Administration is planning to close down 14 of Illinois’ vital historic sites — and to lay off more than 30 Illinois Historic Preservation Agency employees. AFSCME members in IHPA want to lodge a strong protest against the governor’s actions, and urge him once more to reconsider.

      The following is a forward from Matthew S. Schweitzer on Ohio Indian Wars Proboards.:Seeing lots of tidbits in the news lately about the sad state of the Ohio Historical Society and its bleak outlook for the future. This latest article from the Columbus Dispatch indicates that due to extreme budget shortfalls, the Society will be forced to cut hours again at all their historic sites and to even close down all sites operated in Ohio for a week next year to save money.

      http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/con....BB.html?sid=101

      This is really a shame because the OHS owns and operates some fantastic sites across the state and should be recognized as an important organization in the preservation of our history and heritage. The article points out that a large warehouse of historical artifacts lie decaying without adequate preservation because the society lacks sufficient funds to build a new facility. Very distressing indeed for those of us that value our state's history.