Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Spiro Mounds artifact (Johnson collection)

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31 11:03 AM
      Susan, Dave;
      Greatly enjoyed David Johnson's website on the native copper artifacts. Several comments come to mind after perusing this topic. 5000-1000BC corresponds with a major increase of projectile point quantity found around the Cahokia Mounds and matches the few projectile points found in Spiro. This also matches independent studies on lithic trends from Chesterfield, MO.
      Perino reported an archaic knife found with a skeleton that happened to have a "Mound 72 Cahokia point" embedded in the pelvis bone.
      I suggest this copper was an important economical force that indicates archaic connections with mound builder culture at Cahokia and Spiro.
      Best regards;
      Vince Barrows
      PS a timeline of lithics from Cahokia can be seen at the following link: