Re: mediwiwin secret society

  • hilgren
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2007
      Susan, you may want to look at dream catchers:
      "This is where the path divides. No longer will the way of the mind
      be allowed to dominate and divide. People of the Mind must be shown
      the vision of the Seventh Prophet of the Anishinabe and given a choice
      to learn to walk in balance. They must rediscover their connection to
      all things --- the path of the spirit.

      To many "civilized" people, the path traveled by my People seems slow
      and primitive. The power and wisdom of this path isn't easily
      understood when their mind is taught to play inside boundaries and
      their heart is closed to sissagwaad, the soft wind of Spirit."

      http://www.the7thfire.com/fulfilling_the_prophecies.htm

      http://www.the7thfire.com/index2.htm

      "Dream catcher history is known with some credibility due to the
      dedicated field work of Frances Densmore at the beginning of the last
      century. She traveled from her home in Red Wing, Minnesota to Detroit
      Lakes, Minnesota just south of the White Earth Indian Reservation
      where she set up a recording studio in the back of a music shop. For
      five years she recorded the music of the Ojibwe for the Smithsonian
      Institute Bureau of American Ethnology. "

      "Groups of the Anishinabeg traveled along the north and south shores
      of the fourth sweet water sea and reaching a bay at the western end
      they found mah-no-men, wild rice, "the food that grows on water." The
      destination had been reached. Spirit Island in the bay was the sixth
      stopping place. Not very far away along the southern shore of the
      great sweet water sea they found an island shaped like a turtle, the
      final sign that their journey was complete. They placed tobacco on
      the shore as an offering to the Great Spirit who had led them to this
      holy place. They called the island Moh-ning'wun-ih-kawn-ing. This
      became the capital of a powerful Anishinabeg nation and the Great
      Sweet Water Sea was called Gii-dzhii Ojibwe-gah-meeng, the Great Sea
      of the Ojibwe (called Gitchi gumi in Longfellow's poem, Hiawatha).'

      Susan,,,WOW,,,Mahnomen means wild rice and is in western minnesota and
      just north of Detroit Lakes which is 20 miles north of me. This
      description of the turtle sounds alot like the new island i have found
      and are on the map i had uploaded. I am not sure if they are talking
      about lake superior,,,but Marion though the turtle was out in north
      dakota,,,,BUT,,deeper waters again,,,make me think this is west
      central minnesota, the high ground.

      thanks
      Steve

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan English"