Native American Iron Smelting Artifacts

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2008

      Vince, David, and All,

      I address this post also to fairly new member from Minnesota,  David Johnson and his father who continue to maintain their outstanding web site(s). It is my hope David will keep us updated re: his site and further investigations, especially those along or near significant waterway sites.

      I suggest that one smelted metal implement on the web site might have come from Spiro Mounds, which I overheard during one of perhaps a dozen tours of the senior Dr. Johnson's basement Copper Room and museum in C. Wisconsin:

      The Old Copper Complex-North America's First Metal Miners and Metal Artisians:  http://copperculture.homestead.com/

      Since Vince brought up Spiro Mounds and the surrounding region, thought some of you might be interested in the archaeologyfieldwork.com general website, and this article by Charlie Hatchett of Texas:

      http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135

      I sent the article to Dr. Wm. Connor of the Midwestern Epigraphic Society. See "America's Mysterious Furnaces": http://www.iwaynet.net/~wdc/

      You may recall I posted Judy Rudebusch's article on mooring stones to this group not long ago, will send this to her in lieu of triangular stone holes in one of Hatchett's photos---here called a vent.  But I suggest they could have been made by the same type of tools,  time frame, and  peoples that created countless "mooring stone holes" being investigated by Dahm, Rudebusch, Hilgren, etc. along intracontinental N. American waterways.  We, after all are open-minded scientifically-minded investigators with additional added data to consider on issues that should not have been concluded and closed.

      Charlie also has a forum and blog on pre-clovis artifacts in Texas end of his letter. His article from Archaeologyfieldwork.com web site:

      _______________________________

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2008

        All,

        In regard to the Native American smelted artifacts link I posted two days ago: http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135 , I received this email from William Connor of Midwestern Epigraphic Society in Ohio.  I am inserting his MES home page link of several years ago, and see a photo of Zena in there!  Bottom of the site is the link again to Connor's "America's Myserious Furnaces". http://www.iwaynet.net/~wdc/meshome.htm

        Date:Wed, 29 Oct 2008 6:53 pm

        Sue:

        I've seen this site before and have no idea how this could have been an iron furnace.  Primarily, this is because in a direction reduction iron furnace (the old original kind), the ore and charcoal must be in the same container.  In my Ohio pit furnace type, burning charcoal chemically reduces the ore (removes oxygen from the iron oxide ore) and what is left of the ore becomes semi-molten and forms a "bloom" of wrought iron.  Also, it seems that if this really was an iron furnace, it would produce only tiny amounts of iron.

        So I'm not sure what was going on at this site.

        Bill Conner

[...]

        <http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135&start=0&\
        postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=8dee6e5857f36f876ec97f0912de1665\

        http://www.archaeologyfieldwork.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135