Re: SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time" Grids pt 2

  • Rick Osmon
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi Chris

      Just real quick, as I'm in the middle of something and must keep at it.

      The quipis are now known to represent much more than counting. The color
      of the thread, the direction of the looping, the length of the thread
      all had meaning. To the Inca, quipi was a veritable encyclopedia. Just
      as an intuitive thing, perhaps someone who is proficient with sign
      language should try to interpret it...

      If there was contact (like there was another possibility!) between the
      Andes and the Mississippi Valley, there was likely some kind of "Rosetta
      Stone". If we get lucky...(see Edison's definition of invention).

      Best

      Oz

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Chris Patenaude
      <yacrispyubetcha@...> wrote:

      > On the attached composite shot of 'my grid' #254, i show a couple of
      different ways 6 might have been counted off on the grid, depending on
      which square or space a person started counting on or from.

      > The other attachments concern the Yupana Count system and some
      examples of it. One website i found seemed to connect the Yupana with
      the Quipus counting method, which employed knots on strings. To my
      knowledge, that process was last said to be 'lost' and nobody knew how
      the Quipus was used? Or has more been found on that? Would the sketch
      from the 1700 be a clue to somebody who is a puzzle solver if the two
      systems reflected eachother somehow? Ah well. Now i AM getting off
      topic.

      > The black Tablar de Multiplicacion is a photo shared from the files of
      Bernardo Victor Biados Yacovazzo, professor of Anthropology at
      St.Francis Asizi University, La Paz, Bolivia and co-founder of
      > OIIB - Omega Institute Investigations . Bolivia
      > INTI - NonGovernmental Organizacion . Bolivia
      >

      > The grids we are familiar with in N.Am and Yupana from Central and
      South Am, however, could seem to have possible connections?
      > -chris

      {background-color:#888;color:#fff important;}

      > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
      div ul {
      > list-style-type:square;padding-left:1em;}
      >
      > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
      div blockquote {
      > padding-left:6px;border-left:6px solid #dadada;margin-left:1em;}
      >
      > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
      div li {
      > margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:1em;}
      >

      > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link,
      #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited,
      #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active {
      > color:#000099;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}
      >
      > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 img {border:none;}
      >

      > SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"
      >

      > Monday Sept 15th - All About Our Gridstone and Others Found at Mound
      Sites

      > SRAC and the Andaste Chapter of PA Archaeology will be holding their
      joint meeting on Monday Sept 15th and Deb Twigg, executive director of
      SRAC will be presenting all the theories about the Gridstone found below
      Spanish Hill that she has been able to find from other research done on
      these stones.

      > This meeting is open and free to the public to attend!
      >
      > Come and be a part of the research and discussion! (This one could
      really be a BIGGIE.)

      > Collectors are always invited to bring pieces from their collections
      to share and discuss!

      > Hope to see you there!
      >

      > You are subscribed to email updates from SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"
      > To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
      > Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner
      >
      > Inbox too full? Subscribe to the feed version of SRAC "River, Rocks,
      and Time" in a feed reader.

      > If you prefer to unsubscribe via postal mail, write to: SRAC "River,
      Rocks, and Time", c/o FeedBurner, 20 W Kinzie, 9th Floor, Chicago IL USA
      60610