Re: mediwiwin secret society

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2007
      Ancient Waterways Society friends,

      Steve, very moving post, ideas, and how you interrelated it to other
      Posts/articles sent to this web site. Is there is an Internet link
      to the fine Chippewa reading? I also look forward to learning more
      about Uncle Clarence and pyramids.

      I am heavily immersed in studies/clinical work in Madison, Wisconsin,
      soon to finish a Sleep Medicine (Polysomnography) program. With
      repordedly 40,000,000 Americans currently having sleep disorders
      severe enough to require medical interventions, I may aim more toward
      research/preventative studies within the field. Imagine my delight in
      finding this interesting article on dream sleep and another story of
      the Medawin/Mediwiwin which I discovered after reading Steve's Post.
      I will also share it with other Sleep techs. I frequent Baraga,
      Michigan en route to ancient or sacred sites and researchers residing
      in the Copper Country. Coincidentally too, Prof. Jim Scherz of
      Madison is well acquainted with Don & Vicki Dowd of the Mediwiwin
      Society along Lake Michigan shores that Steve's post mentions...

      Concluding paragraphs to article (web link below for full
      article): "....Some cultures, still rooted deep in their tradition
      and fused to their religious teachings, have their own answer to
      Hobson's "hard problem." For the past several years I've worked on
      environmental projects with American Indian communities in Michigan's
      Upper Peninsula, and I've become acquainted with remnants of an
      Ojibwa religion called Mediwiwin. Originating on the shores of Lake
      Superior hundreds of years ago, this community is described by its
      followers as a "dreamer society." An elder from the Red Cliff
      Reservation recently told a friend of mine this Mediwiwin story about
      the origin of the world:

      The Great Manitou first created the waters, then the rock, the sun,
      then the forests. Soon he was lonely so he created the animals of the
      land and the fish of the sea. Each was dependent on the other. He was
      delighted with his creation so he next fashioned a couple of two-
      legged creatures and called them man and woman. Suddenly he realized
      he had made a terrible mistake. The two-legged ones were, because of
      their dependency, vulnerable upon everything else. He pondered this
      and asked himself, "What shall I do?" He decided to give the two-
      legged ones a chance to be equal, to exercise balance through insight
      and visions. He gave them a special power, a gift: the dream.

      More recently I visited a Potawatomi Indian community near the shores
      of Lake Michigan. There I met Don and Vicki Dowd of the Mediwiwin
      Society. Don mentioned that he had met with a priest who had asked
      about native spiritual traditions and how they might be recovered.
      His reply to the priest was: "Tell the truth about Bishop Baraga and
      the journal entries." He explained that the Mediwiwin believe Baraga
      not only attended native ceremonies and prayed with Ojibwa but asked
      to be initiated "into the way of the dream."

      There is no record in his published journals that Baraga ever
      explored the Mediwiwin dream spirituality. The tale of his crossing
      over into the dreamer society may be apocryphal. Nevertheless, the
      story itself hints of hidden worlds, or of a single universe
      connecting disparate realities.

      In our own time and place, the worlds of myth and science, of
      religious experience and empirical research, are frequently set in
      opposition to one another. It may be a striking irony that
      neurologists like Hobson and Jouvet can contribute to a recovery of
      what many people in churches have abandoned: a belief in a divine
      force outside ourselves, a healing presence deep within that still
      speaks through dreams and visions.

      last passage of article, 'Are Humans Wired to Dream?':
      http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=3222
      __________________

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "hilgren"
      <hilgren@...> wrote:

      > Hi Susan, My uncle Clarence was a few years older than Marion and he
      > knew pyramids like Marion knew vikings(don,t ever get me going on
      all
      > his stories). Clarence saw we would use this modern technoogy to
      solve
      > these great mysterys in an age of coming together.WE,,,you, me and a
      > few others,, that are trying to put all the pieces together.
      >
      > Today I found this while reading about the chippawwa indians,:
      >
      > "At the time of the Second Fire the people were encamped along the
      > east shore of the third sweet water sea. There they searched for a
      > way to cross the sea to continue their journey in search of the food
      > that grows on water. Here they stayed for a long time establishing
      > villages and planting gardens. In attending to basic survival
      needs,
      > people began to neglect the sacred ways and soon forgot about their
      > journey. Only a few of the elders still remembered the purpose of
      > their migration. Then a little boy had a dream about a path of
      stones
      > that would lead across the waters. They returned to the River that
      > Cuts Like a Knife and retraced their steps. There they found a
      chain
      > of islands that lead across the sweet water sea.
      >
      > Moving the people by canoe they continued their western journey in
      > search of the food that grows on water. On the largest island in
      the
      > chain the Sacred Megis appeared to the people, rising out of the
      water.

      > This island became the center of the Anishinabeg nation, the Sacred
      > Fire was brought here, the sacred water drum of the Midewiwin
      Society
      > was heard again. Then the water drum was moved to the eastern shore
      > of another sweet water sea and the Sacred Megis appeared again.
      Here
      > the people had their first contact with the Light-skinned people"
      >
      > WOW,,susan,,,the Sweet Water Sea(that ocean i was trying to
      name),,and
      > wildrice(food that grows on water)...indians that carved stone and
      had
      > a secret society,,the mediwiwin...This sounds more and more like a
      > knights templar that was with the vikings and their visit to west
      > central minnesota.
      >
      > Marion spoke often of the ancients who were here a few thousand
      years
      > ago and then the viking returned a thousand years ago and then the
      > norse explorers of the KRS in 1362 retracing the route of those
      > earlier vikings....but always WATER,,lots and lots,,,oceans,,and
      SWEET
      > WATER SEAS.
      >
      > As for the wisconsin river,,more water!deeper deeper,,,keep going!
      >
      > Thanks so very much
      > Steve

    • hilgren
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2007
        Susan, you may want to look at dream catchers:
        "This is where the path divides. No longer will the way of the mind
        be allowed to dominate and divide. People of the Mind must be shown
        the vision of the Seventh Prophet of the Anishinabe and given a choice
        to learn to walk in balance. They must rediscover their connection to
        all things --- the path of the spirit.

        To many "civilized" people, the path traveled by my People seems slow
        and primitive. The power and wisdom of this path isn't easily
        understood when their mind is taught to play inside boundaries and
        their heart is closed to sissagwaad, the soft wind of Spirit."

        http://www.the7thfire.com/fulfilling_the_prophecies.htm

        http://www.the7thfire.com/index2.htm

        "Dream catcher history is known with some credibility due to the
        dedicated field work of Frances Densmore at the beginning of the last
        century. She traveled from her home in Red Wing, Minnesota to Detroit
        Lakes, Minnesota just south of the White Earth Indian Reservation
        where she set up a recording studio in the back of a music shop. For
        five years she recorded the music of the Ojibwe for the Smithsonian
        Institute Bureau of American Ethnology. "

        "Groups of the Anishinabeg traveled along the north and south shores
        of the fourth sweet water sea and reaching a bay at the western end
        they found mah-no-men, wild rice, "the food that grows on water." The
        destination had been reached. Spirit Island in the bay was the sixth
        stopping place. Not very far away along the southern shore of the
        great sweet water sea they found an island shaped like a turtle, the
        final sign that their journey was complete. They placed tobacco on
        the shore as an offering to the Great Spirit who had led them to this
        holy place. They called the island Moh-ning'wun-ih-kawn-ing. This
        became the capital of a powerful Anishinabeg nation and the Great
        Sweet Water Sea was called Gii-dzhii Ojibwe-gah-meeng, the Great Sea
        of the Ojibwe (called Gitchi gumi in Longfellow's poem, Hiawatha).'

        Susan,,,WOW,,,Mahnomen means wild rice and is in western minnesota and
        just north of Detroit Lakes which is 20 miles north of me. This
        description of the turtle sounds alot like the new island i have found
        and are on the map i had uploaded. I am not sure if they are talking
        about lake superior,,,but Marion though the turtle was out in north
        dakota,,,,BUT,,deeper waters again,,,make me think this is west
        central minnesota, the high ground.

        thanks
        Steve

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan English"