SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time" Grids pt 2

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2008
      On the attached composite shot of 'my grid' #254, i show a couple of different ways 6 might have been counted off on the grid, depending on which square or space a person started counting on or from.

      The other attachments concern the Yupana Count system and some examples of it. One website i found seemed to connect the Yupana with the Quipus counting method, which employed knots on strings. To my knowledge, that process was last said to be 'lost' and nobody knew how the Quipus was used? Or has more been found on that? Would the sketch from the 1700 be a clue to somebody who is a puzzle solver if the two systems reflected eachother somehow? Ah well. Now i AM getting off topic.

      The black Tablar de Multiplicacion is a photo shared from the files of Bernardo Victor Biados Yacovazzo, professor of Anthropology at St.Francis Asizi University, La Paz, Bolivia and co-founder of
      OIIB - Omega Institute Investigations . Bolivia
      INTI - NonGovernmental Organizacion . Bolivia

      The grids we are familiar with in N.Am and Yupana from Central and South Am, however, could seem to have possible connections?
      -chris

      From: SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time" <dtwigg@...>
      Subject: SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"
      To: v_barrows@...
      Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 10:13 AM

      SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"

      Link to SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"

      Monday Sept 15th - All About Our Gridstone and Others Found at Mound Sites

      SRAC and the Andaste Chapter of PA Archaeology will be holding their joint meeting on Monday Sept 15th and Deb Twigg, executive director of SRAC will be presenting all the theories about the Gridstone found below Spanish Hill that she has been able to find from other research done on these stones.

      This meeting is open and free to the public to attend!

      Come and be a part of the research and discussion! (This one could really be a BIGGIE.)

      Collectors are always invited to bring pieces from their collections to share and discuss!

      Hope to see you there!
      You are subscribed to email updates from SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"
      To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
      Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner
      Inbox too full? (feed) Subscribe to the feed version of SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time" in a feed reader.
      If you prefer to unsubscribe via postal mail, write to: SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time", c/o FeedBurner, 20 W Kinzie, 9th Floor, Chicago IL USA 60610

    • Rick Osmon
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        Hi Chris

        Just real quick, as I'm in the middle of something and must keep at it.

        The quipis are now known to represent much more than counting. The color
        of the thread, the direction of the looping, the length of the thread
        all had meaning. To the Inca, quipi was a veritable encyclopedia. Just
        as an intuitive thing, perhaps someone who is proficient with sign
        language should try to interpret it...

        If there was contact (like there was another possibility!) between the
        Andes and the Mississippi Valley, there was likely some kind of "Rosetta
        Stone". If we get lucky...(see Edison's definition of invention).

        Best

        Oz

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Chris Patenaude
        <yacrispyubetcha@...> wrote:

        > On the attached composite shot of 'my grid' #254, i show a couple of
        different ways 6 might have been counted off on the grid, depending on
        which square or space a person started counting on or from.

        > The other attachments concern the Yupana Count system and some
        examples of it. One website i found seemed to connect the Yupana with
        the Quipus counting method, which employed knots on strings. To my
        knowledge, that process was last said to be 'lost' and nobody knew how
        the Quipus was used? Or has more been found on that? Would the sketch
        from the 1700 be a clue to somebody who is a puzzle solver if the two
        systems reflected eachother somehow? Ah well. Now i AM getting off
        topic.

        > The black Tablar de Multiplicacion is a photo shared from the files of
        Bernardo Victor Biados Yacovazzo, professor of Anthropology at
        St.Francis Asizi University, La Paz, Bolivia and co-founder of
        > OIIB - Omega Institute Investigations . Bolivia
        > INTI - NonGovernmental Organizacion . Bolivia
        >

        > The grids we are familiar with in N.Am and Yupana from Central and
        South Am, however, could seem to have possible connections?
        > -chris

        {background-color:#888;color:#fff important;}

        > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
        div ul {
        > list-style-type:square;padding-left:1em;}
        >
        > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
        div blockquote {
        > padding-left:6px;border-left:6px solid #dadada;margin-left:1em;}
        >
        > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
        div li {
        > margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:1em;}
        >

        > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link,
        #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited,
        #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active {