Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Fw: SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 9 7:57 PM
      Sad News to share in the Article entitled : History Gets the Ax deals with the closing of 11 Illinois State Historic Sites.

      http://www.bnd.com/editorial/story/457154.html

      Vince

      From: SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time" <dtwigg@spanishhill. com>
      Subject: SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"
      To: v_barrows@yahoo. com
      Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 10:13 AM

      SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"

      Link to SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"

      Monday Sept 15th - All About Our Gridstone and Others Found at Mound Sites

      SRAC and the Andaste Chapter of PA Archaeology will be holding their joint meeting on Monday Sept 15th and Deb Twigg, executive director of SRAC will be presenting all the theories about the Gridstone found below Spanish Hill that she has been able to find from other research done on these stones.

      This meeting is open and free to the public to attend!

      Come and be a part of the research and discussion! (This one could really be a BIGGIE.)

      Collectors are always invited to bring pieces from their collections to share and discuss!

      Hope to see you there!
      You are subscribed to email updates from SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time"
      To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
      Email Delivery powered by FeedBurner
      Inbox too full? (feed) Subscribe to the feed version of SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time" in a feed reader.
      If you prefer to unsubscribe via postal mail, write to: SRAC "River, Rocks, and Time", c/o FeedBurner, 20 W Kinzie, 9th Floor, Chicago IL USA 60610

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9 8:10 PM
        Good News to share about the Cahoki Mounds: U of I is proposing transfer to Federal Government Control. Clearly the State of Illinois cannot properly take care of the site - as demonstrated by their destruction of Monks Mound.

        http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/4C1D8E635C4BEAB6862574AE001225C1?OpenDocument

        Vince

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 9 8:17 PM
          Vince,
          It may be my mistake, but I was unable to copy and paste either link.
          Perhaps when you paste in a web address, I suggest hitting enter just past the link and it will highlight. Then you and we can click into the sites instead of having to paste them. Regardless, thanks for including the group here in your interesting work, Vince.
          My apologies to the group if the sites Vince put in are OK.
          Susan

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9 8:23 PM

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 9 8:28 PM
              Sorry Vince and all,

              The links are fine.

              Nationalizing Cahokia. How does that sit with some of you? Steve Garcia
              grew up near there. I am curious to hear what Vince, Steve, and others
              here think of federal government management of archaeological sites,
              museums, etc. MSE

              --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Susan English
              <beldingenglish@...> wrote:

              > Vince,
              > It may be my mistake, but I was unable to copy and paste either link.
              > Perhaps when you paste in a web address, I suggest hitting enter just
              past the link and it will highlight. Then you and we can click into the
              sites instead of having to paste them. Regardless, thanks for including
              the group here in your interesting work, Vince.
              > My apologies to the group if the sites Vince put in are OK.
              > Susan

              > SuzEnglish@...

              Time"

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29 9:13 PM
                It comes down to Which is the lesser of two evils....
                With State protocols, and this applies to MN, CA or any other State i've worked in/with/whatever...there will always be lack of funding and haphazard scientific methodology if not blatant ignorance of what constitutes pre- or Historical site awareness. BUT... any good scientist with credentials would be allowed to tackle the projects with their own philosophies intact and able to voice their opinions about what they think they've found... especially/or even if it means exposing the Diffusionist POV.

                Federally managed sites nearly automatically get fenced, blocked off from study by anyone the Gov boys think might interpret anything that does not match the USGovt paradigms of what "History" is. ie Columbus first, Bering Bridge, Clovis barrier and certainly no Middle Eastern influence within North America prior to the 1500's. No Hebrew, no Arabs, no Persians, no Mithraic Egyptians (regardless of what Gloria Farley had to reveal). If anyone did any archaeology it would be with sterile blinders on and no outside speculations on Old Wld contact. Otherwise their reports would never see the light of day and the incriminating artifacts would get as lost as Indiana Jones' Arc Box.

                The watered, mown, managed, captive lawn always looks greener, is my cautionary advice. The grass may be browner on the open range, but there's freedom to go where the mind leads. You have the freedom to squak and write public letters to the Senator in a State system. There are no recourses or alternatives under Federal rule, than their restrictions.

                my thots
                -chris

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 29 10:44 PM
                  On the attached composite shot of 'my grid' #254, i show a couple of different ways 6 might have been counted off on the grid, depending on which square or space a person started counting on or from.

                  The other attachments concern the Yupana Count system and some examples of it. One website i found seemed to connect the Yupana with the Quipus counting method, which employed knots on strings. To my knowledge, that process was last said to be 'lost' and nobody knew how the Quipus was used? Or has more been found on that? Would the sketch from the 1700 be a clue to somebody who is a puzzle solver if the two systems reflected eachother somehow? Ah well. Now i AM getting off topic.

                  The black Tablar de Multiplicacion is a photo shared from the files of Bernardo Victor Biados Yacovazzo, professor of Anthropology at St.Francis Asizi University, La Paz, Bolivia and co-founder of
                  OIIB - Omega Institute Investigations . Bolivia
                  INTI - NonGovernmental Organizacion . Bolivia

                  The grids we are familiar with in N.Am and Yupana from Central and South Am, however, could seem to have possible connections?
                  -chris

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Hi Chris

                    Just real quick, as I'm in the middle of something and must keep at it.

                    The quipis are now known to represent much more than counting. The color
                    of the thread, the direction of the looping, the length of the thread
                    all had meaning. To the Inca, quipi was a veritable encyclopedia. Just
                    as an intuitive thing, perhaps someone who is proficient with sign
                    language should try to interpret it...

                    If there was contact (like there was another possibility!) between the
                    Andes and the Mississippi Valley, there was likely some kind of "Rosetta
                    Stone". If we get lucky...(see Edison's definition of invention).

                    Best

                    Oz

                    --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Chris Patenaude
                    <yacrispyubetcha@...> wrote:

                    > On the attached composite shot of 'my grid' #254, i show a couple of
                    different ways 6 might have been counted off on the grid, depending on
                    which square or space a person started counting on or from.

                    > The other attachments concern the Yupana Count system and some
                    examples of it. One website i found seemed to connect the Yupana with
                    the Quipus counting method, which employed knots on strings. To my
                    knowledge, that process was last said to be 'lost' and nobody knew how
                    the Quipus was used? Or has more been found on that? Would the sketch
                    from the 1700 be a clue to somebody who is a puzzle solver if the two
                    systems reflected eachother somehow? Ah well. Now i AM getting off
                    topic.

                    > The black Tablar de Multiplicacion is a photo shared from the files of
                    Bernardo Victor Biados Yacovazzo, professor of Anthropology at
                    St.Francis Asizi University, La Paz, Bolivia and co-founder of
                    > OIIB - Omega Institute Investigations . Bolivia
                    > INTI - NonGovernmental Organizacion . Bolivia
                    >

                    > The grids we are familiar with in N.Am and Yupana from Central and
                    South Am, however, could seem to have possible connections?
                    > -chris

                    {background-color:#888;color:#fff important;}

                    > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
                    div ul {
                    > list-style-type:square;padding-left:1em;}
                    >
                    > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
                    div blockquote {
                    > padding-left:6px;border-left:6px solid #dadada;margin-left:1em;}
                    >
                    > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td
                    div li {
                    > margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:1em;}
                    >

                    > #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link,
                    #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited,
                    #yiv2064388299 #yiv867244694 table#itemcontentlist tr td a:active {