mediwiwin secret society

  • hilgren
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2007
      Hi Susan, My uncle Clarence was a few years older than Marion and he
      knew pyramids like Marion knew vikings(don,t ever get me going on all
      his stories). Clarence saw we would use this modern technoogy to solve
      these great mysterys in an age of coming together.WE,,,you, me and a
      few others,, that are trying to put all the pieces together.

      Today I found this while reading about the chippawwa indians,:

      "At the time of the Second Fire the people were encamped along the
      east shore of the third sweet water sea. There they searched for a
      way to cross the sea to continue their journey in search of the food
      that grows on water. Here they stayed for a long time establishing
      villages and planting gardens. In attending to basic survival needs,
      people began to neglect the sacred ways and soon forgot about their
      journey. Only a few of the elders still remembered the purpose of
      their migration. Then a little boy had a dream about a path of stones
      that would lead across the waters. They returned to the River that
      Cuts Like a Knife and retraced their steps. There they found a chain
      of islands that lead across the sweet water sea.

      Moving the people by canoe they continued their western journey in
      search of the food that grows on water. On the largest island in the
      chain the Sacred Megis appeared to the people, rising out of the water.

      This island became the center of the Anishinabeg nation, the Sacred
      Fire was brought here, the sacred water drum of the Midewiwin Society
      was heard again. Then the water drum was moved to the eastern shore
      of another sweet water sea and the Sacred Megis appeared again. Here
      the people had their first contact with the Light-skinned people"

      WOW,,susan,,,the Sweet Water Sea(that ocean i was trying to name),,and
      wildrice(food that grows on water)...indians that carved stone and had
      a secret society,,the mediwiwin...This sounds more and more like a
      knights templar that was with the vikings and their visit to west
      central minnesota.

      Marion spoke often of the ancients who were here a few thousand years
      ago and then the viking returned a thousand years ago and then the
      norse explorers of the KRS in 1362 retracing the route of those
      earlier vikings....but always WATER,,lots and lots,,,oceans,,and SWEET
      WATER SEAS.

      As for the wisconsin river,,more water!deeper deeper,,,keep going!

      Thanks so very much
      Steve
    • Susan English
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2007
        Ancient Waterways Society friends,

        Steve, very moving post, ideas, and how you interrelated it to other
        Posts/articles sent to this web site. Is there is an Internet link
        to the fine Chippewa reading? I also look forward to learning more
        about Uncle Clarence and pyramids.

        I am heavily immersed in studies/clinical work in Madison, Wisconsin,
        soon to finish a Sleep Medicine (Polysomnography) program. With
        repordedly 40,000,000 Americans currently having sleep disorders
        severe enough to require medical interventions, I may aim more toward
        research/preventative studies within the field. Imagine my delight in
        finding this interesting article on dream sleep and another story of
        the Medawin/Mediwiwin which I discovered after reading Steve's Post.
        I will also share it with other Sleep techs. I frequent Baraga,
        Michigan en route to ancient or sacred sites and researchers residing
        in the Copper Country. Coincidentally too, Prof. Jim Scherz of
        Madison is well acquainted with Don & Vicki Dowd of the Mediwiwin
        Society along Lake Michigan shores that Steve's post mentions...

        Concluding paragraphs to article (web link below for full
        article): "....Some cultures, still rooted deep in their tradition
        and fused to their religious teachings, have their own answer to
        Hobson's "hard problem." For the past several years I've worked on
        environmental projects with American Indian communities in Michigan's
        Upper Peninsula, and I've become acquainted with remnants of an
        Ojibwa religion called Mediwiwin. Originating on the shores of Lake
        Superior hundreds of years ago, this community is described by its
        followers as a "dreamer society." An elder from the Red Cliff
        Reservation recently told a friend of mine this Mediwiwin story about
        the origin of the world:

        The Great Manitou first created the waters, then the rock, the sun,
        then the forests. Soon he was lonely so he created the animals of the
        land and the fish of the sea. Each was dependent on the other. He was
        delighted with his creation so he next fashioned a couple of two-
        legged creatures and called them man and woman. Suddenly he realized
        he had made a terrible mistake. The two-legged ones were, because of
        their dependency, vulnerable upon everything else. He pondered this
        and asked himself, "What shall I do?" He decided to give the two-
        legged ones a chance to be equal, to exercise balance through insight
        and visions. He gave them a special power, a gift: the dream.

        More recently I visited a Potawatomi Indian community near the shores
        of Lake Michigan. There I met Don and Vicki Dowd of the Mediwiwin
        Society. Don mentioned that he had met with a priest who had asked
        about native spiritual traditions and how they might be recovered.
        His reply to the priest was: "Tell the truth about Bishop Baraga and
        the journal entries." He explained that the Mediwiwin believe Baraga
        not only attended native ceremonies and prayed with Ojibwa but asked
        to be initiated "into the way of the dream."

        There is no record in his published journals that Baraga ever
        explored the Mediwiwin dream spirituality. The tale of his crossing
        over into the dreamer society may be apocryphal. Nevertheless, the
        story itself hints of hidden worlds, or of a single universe
        connecting disparate realities.

        In our own time and place, the worlds of myth and science, of
        religious experience and empirical research, are frequently set in
        opposition to one another. It may be a striking irony that
        neurologists like Hobson and Jouvet can contribute to a recovery of
        what many people in churches have abandoned: a belief in a divine
        force outside ourselves, a healing presence deep within that still
        speaks through dreams and visions.

        last passage of article, 'Are Humans Wired to Dream?':
        http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=3222
        __________________

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "hilgren"
        <hilgren@...> wrote:

        > Hi Susan, My uncle Clarence was a few years older than Marion and he
        > knew pyramids like Marion knew vikings(don,t ever get me going on
        all
        > his stories). Clarence saw we would use this modern technoogy to
        solve
        > these great mysterys in an age of coming together.WE,,,you, me and a
        > few others,, that are trying to put all the pieces together.
        >
        > Today I found this while reading about the chippawwa indians,:
        >
        > "At the time of the Second Fire the people were encamped along the
        > east shore of the third sweet water sea. There they searched for a
        > way to cross the sea to continue their journey in search of the food
        > that grows on water. Here they stayed for a long time establishing
        > villages and planting gardens. In attending to basic survival
        needs,
        > people began to neglect the sacred ways and soon forgot about their
        > journey. Only a few of the elders still remembered the purpose of
        > their migration. Then a little boy had a dream about a path of
        stones
        > that would lead across the waters. They returned to the River that
        > Cuts Like a Knife and retraced their steps. There they found a
        chain
        > of islands that lead across the sweet water sea.
        >
        > Moving the people by canoe they continued their western journey in
        > search of the food that grows on water. On the largest island in
        the
        > chain the Sacred Megis appeared to the people, rising out of the
        water.

        > This island became the center of the Anishinabeg nation, the Sacred
        > Fire was brought here, the sacred water drum of the Midewiwin
        Society
        > was heard again. Then the water drum was moved to the eastern shore
        > of another sweet water sea and the Sacred Megis appeared again.
        Here
        > the people had their first contact with the Light-skinned people"
        >
        > WOW,,susan,,,the Sweet Water Sea(that ocean i was trying to
        name),,and
        > wildrice(food that grows on water)...indians that carved stone and
        had
        > a secret society,,the mediwiwin...This sounds more and more like a
        > knights templar that was with the vikings and their visit to west
        > central minnesota.
        >
        > Marion spoke often of the ancients who were here a few thousand
        years
        > ago and then the viking returned a thousand years ago and then the
        > norse explorers of the KRS in 1362 retracing the route of those
        > earlier vikings....but always WATER,,lots and lots,,,oceans,,and
        SWEET
        > WATER SEAS.
        >
        > As for the wisconsin river,,more water!deeper deeper,,,keep going!
        >
        > Thanks so very much
        > Steve

      • hilgren
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2007
          Susan, you may want to look at dream catchers:
          "This is where the path divides. No longer will the way of the mind
          be allowed to dominate and divide. People of the Mind must be shown
          the vision of the Seventh Prophet of the Anishinabe and given a choice
          to learn to walk in balance. They must rediscover their connection to
          all things --- the path of the spirit.

          To many "civilized" people, the path traveled by my People seems slow
          and primitive. The power and wisdom of this path isn't easily
          understood when their mind is taught to play inside boundaries and
          their heart is closed to sissagwaad, the soft wind of Spirit."

          http://www.the7thfire.com/fulfilling_the_prophecies.htm

          http://www.the7thfire.com/index2.htm

          "Dream catcher history is known with some credibility due to the
          dedicated field work of Frances Densmore at the beginning of the last
          century. She traveled from her home in Red Wing, Minnesota to Detroit
          Lakes, Minnesota just south of the White Earth Indian Reservation
          where she set up a recording studio in the back of a music shop. For
          five years she recorded the music of the Ojibwe for the Smithsonian
          Institute Bureau of American Ethnology. "

          "Groups of the Anishinabeg traveled along the north and south shores
          of the fourth sweet water sea and reaching a bay at the western end
          they found mah-no-men, wild rice, "the food that grows on water." The
          destination had been reached. Spirit Island in the bay was the sixth
          stopping place. Not very far away along the southern shore of the
          great sweet water sea they found an island shaped like a turtle, the
          final sign that their journey was complete. They placed tobacco on
          the shore as an offering to the Great Spirit who had led them to this
          holy place. They called the island Moh-ning'wun-ih-kawn-ing. This
          became the capital of a powerful Anishinabeg nation and the Great
          Sweet Water Sea was called Gii-dzhii Ojibwe-gah-meeng, the Great Sea
          of the Ojibwe (called Gitchi gumi in Longfellow's poem, Hiawatha).'

          Susan,,,WOW,,,Mahnomen means wild rice and is in western minnesota and
          just north of Detroit Lakes which is 20 miles north of me. This
          description of the turtle sounds alot like the new island i have found
          and are on the map i had uploaded. I am not sure if they are talking
          about lake superior,,,but Marion though the turtle was out in north
          dakota,,,,BUT,,deeper waters again,,,make me think this is west
          central minnesota, the high ground.

          thanks
          Steve

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan English"