Re: Map and link

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2007
      Steve, and all,

      Thanks, Steve for your great letter. I have dial-up & an old PC, so
      will have to wait until I can pull up the file at the public library
      next week.

      I am lately doing a search of the Wisconsin River, am asking
      researcher-writer and speaker, David Hoffman to bite the bullet by
      getting a Yahoo email address, then sign on so he can share his
      knowledge about the Wisconsin and interconnecting waterways.

      I very much look forward to delving more deeply into the various
      epochs of the Mississippi River you have been sharing. Fred Rydholm
      even goes so far back as to talking about intelligent human beings
      living on the continent between the last two ice ages when the
      landscape, when the climate was likely very different from what we
      know of from scientific and historical records.

      I am constantly needing to ask myself what era/time period am I to
      consider when viewing certain water levels, old high ground
      habitation sites, remnants of underwater civilizations, mooring
      stones, mounds, lakes, seas, rivers, streams, areas altered by dams
      or catastrophic events.

      Even what is termed "viking", I will recall a couple things from
      researcher Marion Dahm who spoke so admirably of you, Steve. I'd
      printed out some of his research stationary, and recall on his
      letterhead he extended mooring stone, infrared aerial photography,
      and underwater work he was involved in to include ancient 'vikings'
      back as far as 5000 years. Days before his death via phone when I
      was reading some of the letters to him from various Yahoogroup sites
      on the subject, he told me he had extended it even further back.

      We all are aware of through our educations and endless historical
      records, the terrible schisms, wars, divisions which have divided
      people, nations, taken or destroyed lands, desecrated sacred sites,
      artifacts, writings. But I think we may discover, if we continue to
      among many of these ancient peoples, especially they who
      cooperatively traveled, provided free access through "international
      waters", shared resources, and perhaps acted as better stewards of
      the lands and waters than we who inhabit them today. We may likely
      all be descendents of each other if we go far enough back, but
      nevertheless, each of us can closely "relate" to each other in what
      we pass on legacies, and we and our followers can travel together
      along the seas of cleaner and more amicable waters.

      Susan
      (of course...this web site, the host, and members need not necessariy
      agree with the personal views of this author)

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "hilgren"