ursa major and the up

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
      Last evening I had an interesting conversation with Lee Pennington about the recent UP expedition. Lee told me an account about the constellation called the Great Bear. In discussion of the great bear Jim Scherz and Tribal Elders, it was asked, what did the tribesmen call the constellation Ursa Major. In response, the Tribal elder called it the Bear. "That's funny", he said. "because bears do not have long tails. What does the tail of the constellation come from?" In response. the tribal elder said "That long tail represents copper country".

      As we all know, copper country is the UP. Attached is a map of the UP with a correlation shown of the Great Bear, Ursa Major and Ursa Minor (which surrounds isle royale).

      Any comments?

      Vince

    • bigalemc2
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
        Vince -

        You wanna try attaching that image again?

        It says that file is a .doc file, which may include an image, but isn't
        itself one.

        BTW, how DO you attach an image?

        Steve
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
          Steve;
          The file attached was a word document but I have converted it to a photo (.jpg) file now.
          To attach a file, go to the paperclip or attach files button, then click browse, direct the file to the location that you want to attach, and then click attach. It may be different for mc.net though.
          Vince

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
            Vince:

            Strange. If there was one, I would. I don't get a paperclip in either
            the normal Reply editor or in the Rich-Text Editor. I work in Firefox,
            so maybe that has something to do with it. I seem to have the rest of
            the icons, but not that one. I hate if I have to go to MS IE just to
            attach, but if I have to... YUK!!

            Steve

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008

              Hi Fellows,

              Is it possible to submit the picture or map to the "Photos" link to the left side of this screen.  I also have never been able to  open attachments included with posts to any of the Yahoo groups.  I don't know how to put anything into our group's photo link, but host MinnesotaStan who set up the group and Photo link would.

              Vince, as an aside here, Lee Pennington emailed upon return to Kentucky that he'd been diagnosed with Lyme's Disease,  apparently from a deer tick during his N. Wisconsin-Upper Michigan trip. Sounds as though he is OK, especially with early medical intervention.  So, all of you doing fieldwork or any outdoor activities, please take precautions....

              Susan

              --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "bigalemc2" <puppet@...> wrote:

              > Vince:
              >
              > Strange. If there was one, I would. I don't get a paperclip in either
              > the normal Reply editor or in the Rich-Text Editor. I work in Firefox,
              > so maybe that has something to do with it. I seem to have the rest of
              > the icons, but not that one. I hate if I have to go to MS IE just to
              > attach, but if I have to... YUK!!
              >
              > Steve
              >

              > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows
              > v_barrows@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Steve;
              > > The file attached was a word document but I have converted it to a
              > photo (.jpg) file now.
              > > To attach a file, go to the paperclip or attach files button, then
              > click browse, direct the file to the location that you want to attach,
              > and then click attach. It may be different for mc.net though.
              > > Vince
              > >
              > > bigalemc2 puppet@ wrote:
              > > Vince -
              > >
              > > You wanna try attaching that image again?
              > >
              > > It says that file is a .doc file, which may include an image, but
              > isn't
              > > itself one.
              > >
              > > BTW, how DO you attach an image?
              > >
              > > Steve

            • Rick Osmon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                I've never had any luck recieving or viewing attached files, but if the image is copied (click and drag across to highlight, then right click "copy"  -- NOT "copy image"), you can paste / embed an image in the post. And you have to use the rich text option. It won't work right with html.

                Maps showing the Location of the Keweenaw Peninsula

                Ghost Towns of the Keweenaw Peninsula

                Now, having said all that, Ursa Major and the peninsula are more like mirror images of each other to my notion.

                > Hi Fellows,
                >
                > Is it possible to submit the picture or map to the "Photos" link to the
                > left side of this screen. I also have never been able to open
                > attachments included with posts to any of the Yahoo groups. I don't
                > know how to put anything into our group's photo link, but host
                > MinnesotaStan who set up the group and Photo link would.
                >
                > Vince, as an aside here, Lee Pennington emailed upon return to Kentucky
                > that he'd been diagnosed with Lyme's Disease, apparently from a deer
                > tick during his N. Wisconsin-Upper Michigan trip. Sounds as though he is
                > OK, especially with early medical intervention. So, all of you doing
                > fieldwork or any outdoor activities, please take precautions....
                >
                > Susan
                > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com , "bigalemc2"
                > puppet@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Vince:
                > >
                > > Strange. If there was one, I would. I don't get a paperclip in either
                > > the normal Reply editor or in the Rich-Text Editor. I work in Firefox,
                > > so maybe that has something to do with it. I seem to have the rest of
                > > the icons, but not that one. I hate if I have to go to MS IE just to
                > > attach, but if I have to... YUK!!
                > >
                > > Steve
                > >

                > > --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Barrows
                > > v_barrows@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Steve;
                > > > The file attached was a word document but I have converted it to a
                > > photo (.jpg) file now.
                > > > To attach a file, go to the paperclip or attach files button, then
                > > click browse, direct the file to the location that you want to attach,
                > > and then click attach. It may be different for mc.net though.
                > > > Vince
                > > >
                > > > bigalemc2 puppet@ wrote:
                > > > Vince -
                > > >
                > > > You wanna try attaching that image again?
                > > >
                > > > It says that file is a .doc file, which may include an image, but
                > > isn't
                > > > itself one.
                > > >
                > > > BTW, how DO you attach an image?
                > > >
                > > > Steve

              • herbswoods
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008
                  Interesting stuff and I can add a little to it....

                  I know that in the 1830s a missionary visiting Lake Superior recorded
                  a meeting with an Ojibwe chief, who explained the coppertail bear
                  legend and how he lost his long tail, and that there was power in
                  possessing a piece of the bear's lost tail. Then he grew secretive and
                  only would admit to having a small piece of this powerful spirit,
                  although he would not show it to the Euro.

                  The missionary went away laughing at the native Indian beliefs and how
                  absurd it was for the Ojibwe man to think he could actually have a
                  piece of the spirit being's tail. But really it was the missionary who
                  was deluding himself. Because it seems obvious to me that the Ojibwe
                  chief actually DID have a piece of the coppertail bear's tail in the
                  form of a piece of Lake Superior native copper. And if you had that,
                  you possessed great spirit power.

                  I have collected a great deal of such material over the years and love
                  it. I hope to write a book on the subject if I live long enough and
                  can ever get past the motorcycle stuff.

                  Hopefully, Lee Pennington gets over the Lyme infection okay. I have
                  had it twice and you get very sick if it's not caught right away.

                  Pennington?

                  Where have I heard that name before???

                  Herb from Wis.
                  www.atthecreation.com

                  Visit NW Wisconsin's Underwater Road
                  http://www.atthecreation.com/ROAD/UNDERWATER.RD.html

                  Wisconsin's Ancient Copper Miners
                  http://www.atthecreation.com/wis.anc/%20cu.mines.html
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 26, 2008

                    Herb;

                    I appreciate the insight and excellent information that you shared. Also, your website is excellent! I had not heard of the Coppertail bear legend- but its truly amazing to hear of a connection with the copper country to the myths and legends of the Ojibwa. I appreciate your work on the copper culture and it would be great to see your book when you finish.

                    Lee Pennington is the movie producer that films historical documentaries.

                    his website is located here: I have only seen the Moundbuilder and Easter Island Movies, and I thought they were both outstanding!

                    http://www.joleproductions.com/history.html

                    I heard that Lee was treated shortly after the tick was noticed and he is recovering.

                    I put together a website about the Cahokia Mounds - a place that I think was an important trade center during the copper culture - due to the large amounts of copper found there recently in Mound 34. it is located here: http://www.freewebs.com/historyofmonksmound

                    http://www.freewebs.com/historyofmonksmound/welchbutterfly.htm

                    Best regards;

                    Vince.