Map and link

  • hilgren
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2007
      Ancient Waterways Society

      I have posted a file with a sample of the maps availible at;

      http://www.trygglandoffice.com/maps.html

      I hope this is not too large of a file.
      This map is of west central minnesota and the highest part of the
      state.It is of the Alexandria and surrounding lakes area and has the
      KRS Runestone Hill marked.This is mid 1800,s and the first land survey
      made as the first settlers are just entering the area. Each small
      square is one square mile.
      The green highlighted area is the land above the highest water
      mark,1500 feet and above.The pinkish area is the big islands and high
      ground(with the oak forest) above 1450 feet.The chippawwa river runs
      north from the runestone up between the two stoney peaks (skylars)to
      the inland shallow sea in the upper right corner. This is about a days
      journey.
      The small town of Jasper is in the middle of the map and is now
      known as Parkers Prairie. It is also the source of the mississippi
      river on another map.
      I hope this may be helpful in your research.

      Steve
    • Susan English
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2007
        Steve, and all,

        Thanks, Steve for your great letter. I have dial-up & an old PC, so
        will have to wait until I can pull up the file at the public library
        next week.

        I am lately doing a search of the Wisconsin River, am asking
        researcher-writer and speaker, David Hoffman to bite the bullet by
        getting a Yahoo email address, then sign on so he can share his
        knowledge about the Wisconsin and interconnecting waterways.

        I very much look forward to delving more deeply into the various
        epochs of the Mississippi River you have been sharing. Fred Rydholm
        even goes so far back as to talking about intelligent human beings
        living on the continent between the last two ice ages when the
        landscape, when the climate was likely very different from what we
        know of from scientific and historical records.

        I am constantly needing to ask myself what era/time period am I to
        consider when viewing certain water levels, old high ground
        habitation sites, remnants of underwater civilizations, mooring
        stones, mounds, lakes, seas, rivers, streams, areas altered by dams
        or catastrophic events.

        Even what is termed "viking", I will recall a couple things from
        researcher Marion Dahm who spoke so admirably of you, Steve. I'd
        printed out some of his research stationary, and recall on his
        letterhead he extended mooring stone, infrared aerial photography,
        and underwater work he was involved in to include ancient 'vikings'
        back as far as 5000 years. Days before his death via phone when I
        was reading some of the letters to him from various Yahoogroup sites
        on the subject, he told me he had extended it even further back.

        We all are aware of through our educations and endless historical
        records, the terrible schisms, wars, divisions which have divided
        people, nations, taken or destroyed lands, desecrated sacred sites,
        artifacts, writings. But I think we may discover, if we continue to
        among many of these ancient peoples, especially they who
        cooperatively traveled, provided free access through "international
        waters", shared resources, and perhaps acted as better stewards of
        the lands and waters than we who inhabit them today. We may likely
        all be descendents of each other if we go far enough back, but
        nevertheless, each of us can closely "relate" to each other in what
        we pass on legacies, and we and our followers can travel together
        along the seas of cleaner and more amicable waters.

        Susan
        (of course...this web site, the host, and members need not necessariy
        agree with the personal views of this author)

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "hilgren"