Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Ancient? "Waubansee Stone" from Chicago riverfront. Also---the "Bayer Stone"

  • Pam
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2007
      Hi Susan!

      Last I heard, the stone was at the Chicago Historical Society Museum.  I visited it there about 2 or 3 years ago.  At that time it was positioned outside of a permanent exhibit on the streets and development of Chicago.

      The stone is of the scale of some Mayan and Olmec sculptures I've seen.   It also seems to me I remember reading a description of a signalling stone that seemed similar to the Waubansee Stone...if I remember what that was, I'll send more.

      Pam

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2007
        Pam,and all,

        Thanks for the information that the Waubansee Stone is still
        connected with the Field Museum; I hope to seek it out. A couple of
        old Chicago items:

        Here is the "W" page from the Encyclopedia of Early Chicago; one can
        see Native American Indian names for many of the streets, buildings,
        parks...(as is true throughout the Great Lakes and much of the
        country).

        Early Chicago web site- Waubansee also Wabansa, Wabansie, Wabansee,
        Wapunsy, Waubonsa, Wabonsia, Wahponseh—the...Wabansa stone a
        glacial boulder that appears to be red granite. Scroll down to
        Waubansee Stone for the site's description and photo:

        http://www.earlychicago.com/encyclopedia.php?letter=W

        From the Directory of the City of Chicago, Obituaries
        (August0December, 1843): Wabansee, (Indian chief), died, Boonville,
        Mo., fall 1846, aged 80:

        http://all-ancestors.com/chicago/chicago048.htm

        Chicago parks, streets, a school are named after Chief Wabansee.

        Also, another chief w/similar name is a descendent of long ago giant
        cultures mentioned occasionally in the "Precolumbian Incriptions" web
        site. Same source= Wabinsheway 'White Elk', a Potawatomi chief of
        unusually tall stature'....

        I am having trouble since the last letter inserting the
        AmazonOnlineReader link to view p. 200 which shows a clear photo (and
        article) of the stone, from "Discovering the Mysteries of Ancient
        America: Lost History And Legends, Unearthed And Explored". May be
        too long:

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1564148424/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-2269162-
        9302459#reader-link

        I was born not far from the Miami Circle mentioned earlier, but grew
        up in the Chicago area and frequently visited the Field Museum. I
        later resided along water routes in Colorado, Lower Michigan, N.
        Dakota, SW Lake Superior shores, now overlooking the Wisconsin
        River. Funny how many of us live along/travel old or ancient
        waterways, then develop a passion for retracing these signinificant
        paths which have linked 'global others' throughout the millinnea and
        beyond.

        Most significant in my personal pursuits, though, is not merely
        studying historic seafaring historic cultures, but ancient
        descendents who inhabited, traded, & traveled water routes of the
        Americas which many know linked world peoples to lands and cultures
        across the world....times when water levels, waterway routes,
        climactic and geographic conditions, etc. varied greatly from today.

        I see from the profile and previous letter, one of the members
        here, "Marmot", that you live in the NW part of the state. It would
        be wonderful to learn more from you about that part of the continent.
        I did not take good time to read or respond to you, or earlier posts
        from other very well.

        As you can tell from this month's posts, I initially had little time
        to commit to this site when the set-up person of this site,
        MinnesotaStan, kindly followed through with my request at an Ancient
        Earthworks Society meeting a few years ago. I hope to be able to
        continue part-time hours so as to further ancient socio-culture
        studies which strongly includes scientific "diffusionist" views and
        research.

        The beauty about groups such as this is that collectively, through
        correspondence, we can directly learn about, sometimes even visit
        each other's waterway areas w/their accompanying ancient legends
        which often seem to carry larger truths than historical accounts.
        The more people who write posts about the old waterways they frequent
        or have researched, the names and legends surrounding them, the
        greater the historical record can thus be extended far into the
        ancient past.

        For some years I have been asked to join cooperative research with
        Native American grad students and others of various cultures in
        researching, surveying, preserving the few remaining ancient sites
        left around this part of the country. I suspect this will increase
        the more I become semi-retired.

        I seem to be learning more about the pre-history of particular
        regions and waterways by way of aboriginal, "Indian" and Native
        American names such areas were originally known by. Unfortunately
        most records are limited to post-Columbian historical accounts, as I
        am finding currently in researching the Wisconsin River. I wonder if
        we might get far enough back into ancient history, prior to the
        divisions and schisms of nations, even before the times of worldwide
        nation states, that we may also find no tribal and nation
        differentiations and conflicts that are often carried from earliest
        historic account and verbal legends of the Americas.

        I believe we are in a significant era of cooperative rather than
        competition where we are beginning once again to interconnect
        peacefully, globally----neither excluding nor degrading any culture.
        Answers to our many current social problems may well be found only
        within the integrity of deeper truths of our very ancient past. Then,
        not just studying and archiving these truths, but living them.

        It has long been my hope that by traveling ancient, global Americas--
        starting from each of our own personal water route regions
        of 'visitation'--that we, as a very open-minded/hearted Ancient
        Waterways Society group, can help find and bring intimately into our
        lives many legacies of the wisdomkeepers of ancient times, waiting
        to be handed forth to us, into the historical record for us now, and
        our ancestry.

        My deepest thanks for being here at this web site.

        M. Susan English
        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Pam" <pgiese@...>