Re: [ancient_waterways_society] Re: UTube Ica Stones

    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2008
      Stan;
      Engraved stones can be looked at under a microscope to determine if they were made with modern tools, the styles of the engravings can be compared, they can be measured, weighed, composition can be determined. Beyond that, comparison of symbolism can be made with other forms that are known from around the world Tribal customs can be investigated to determine what sort of treatment that engraved stones would have received. Immediate Tabloid-style Opinions have little scientific validity. We need to be aware that just by repeating what he said or what she said is not moving forward in determining scientific evidence.
      Independently verifiable facts about the Ica stones:
      • A shallow engraving style on pebbles and sandstone is common to many forms of ancient tribal art (Schuster, Social Symbolism of Tribal Art)
      • Crosshatching and squared hatching symbols are seen throughout the ancient world including at Cahokia on stones.
      • Engravings of concentric circles are seen in Spiro Mounds shell engravings, as well as other shell gorgets from Moundville..(Hero Hawk and Open Hand)
      • The Bow and arrow motif is seen on Ohio artifacts as well as Iowa catlinite engravings.
      • Appendix 3 on my website located below shows numerous accounts of aboriginal customs with engraved stones, located here: http://www.freewebs.com/historyofmonksmound
      • Fossil legends of the First Americans is an excellent study by Adrienne Mayor that relates directly to tribal legends of dinosaurs as well as similar subjects.
      Vince

      minnesotastan <minnesotastan@...> wrote:
      Susan -

      I watched the YouTube video re the Ica stones, and I was
      thoroughly.. .underwhelmed. My doubts started with the
      oft-repeated- in-the-fringe- literature claim that man coexisted with
      the dinosaurs. I gave up after hearing the assertion that the blood
      of a pregnant woman could be transfused into a heart transplant
      recipient to immunosuppress the recipient the way the fetus is
      immunosuppressed against the mother's antigens. Then the program
      cites "proof" of antiquity by saying the stones have been dated to
      99,000 years ago. Stones cannot be dated like that, and no matter
      what date is claimed for a stone, that doesn't establish the date of
      the scratchings on the surface of the stone.

      The problem apparently started when a local doctor started paying
      local people $$$ for carved stones. Not surprisingly the locals
      "discovered" 15,000 of these stones over the next 35 years.

      Here's the Wiki conclusion -

      "In 1977, during the BBC documentary Pathway to the Gods, Uschuya
      produced a "genuine" Ica stone with a dentist's drill and claimed to
      have produced the patina by baking the stone in cow dung.[citation needed]

      In 1996, another BBC documentary was released with a skeptical
      analysis of the stones and the newfound attention to the phenomenon
      prompted the authorities of Peru to arrest Basilio Uschuya, as under
      Peruvian law it is illegal to sell archaeological discoveries. Uschuya
      recanted his claim that he had found them and instead claimed that
      they were hoaxes he and his wife had created. He was not punished, and
      continued to sell similar stones to tourists as trinkets.[citation needed]

      He also confirmed that he had forged them during an interview with
      Erich von Däniken, but later recanted that claim during an interview
      with a German journalist.[ citation needed]"

      Enough already. Next topic please.

      Glad to hear the U.P. meeting went well. Perhaps some of the
      participants could post abstracts or summaries in the "files" section
      of the AWS. Or a photo or two.

      Best wishes,

      Stan

      Message 2 of 8 , May 28, 2008
        "Our nation was born in genocide when it embraced the doctrine that the
        original American, the Indian, was an inferior race."
        - Martin Luther King Jr.
        Hidden from History: The Canadian Holocaust
        The untold story of the genocide of Aboriginal peoples in Canada
        http://www.hiddenfromhistory.org/
        Sign the petition against Aboriginal genocide in Canada:
        http://www.petitiononline.com/watergod/petition-sign.html