Ancient? "Waubansee Stone" from Chicago riverfront. Also---the "Bayer Stone"

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2007
      Following ancient waterways, this week to the Chicago riverfront ...

      Years ago when checking out archaeological excavations at the "Miami
      Circle" over a several day period, I saw an article and diagram of
      what seemed to be mid-to post-glacial era high water runoff from the
      area we call the Mississippi River. It split off in several areas,
      one channel roared through Chicago and southward into an area near
      where we were working. When this was, and for how long a period of
      time, I do not know.

      The younger archaeologist assigned to the highly-policed Miami Circl
      site told me during one his breaks that the inside channel walls of
      the Bay of Biscayne have many layers of civilization--far older than
      the surface site under investigation at the "Miami Circle". But the
      Bay is so darkly poluted, toxic, and corrosive to gear that divers
      have long been unable to research the underwater areas. He also added
      that many more interesting archeological sites probably of very
      ancient significance long ago were buried under parking lots, hotel
      sky scrapers.....back when few were interested in the type of inquiry
      so many of us are doing.

      Many sites which could shed light on our very ancient past are under
      water, rest beneath hundreds or thousands of feet of sand, dirt, or
      permanently covered over by tons of concrete and steel.

      I was doing a follow-up following a discussion I had earlier this
      week with a professional man from Chicago who is researching evidence
      about Chicago as a very ancient water and trade route.

      I recall articles in Ancient American Magazine regarding ancient
      travel or habitation around the Chicago riverways and waterfront.
      One article in the late 80's had a photo about an ancient stone face
      which seemed to resemble Olmec, Middle Eastern, perhaps African
      features was found on a large slab down there.

      I did an Internet search, then emailed a request to the Ancient
      American staff, received a reply from Wayne May today, then relayed
      back to Wayne and Frank multiple links about the Waubansee Stone.
      From an Amazon.com ReaderBook I discovered, is article about the site
      that readers here can read online:

      "Discovering the Mysteries of Ancient America: Lost History And
      Legends, Unearthed And Explored", by David Hatcher Childress,
      Zecharia Sitchin, Wayne May, Andrew Collins, Frank Joseph (some of
      you reading Posts know several of the authors personally).

      Page 200 in the on-line book shows a photo w/brief description of the
      Wabansee (Waubansee) Stone found somewhere along the Chicago
      riverfront. If anyone hears where it is now, or what room of the
      museum !, please reply. P. 200:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1564148424/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-2269162-
      9302459#reader-link

      Another possibly ancient "Bayer Stone" was found in NY or VA; The
      December, 2006 article--an interesting article in and of itself--has
      letters of reply end of the web site. #8 parallels the stone's
      inquiry to that of the Chicago Waubansee Stone. I mailed the link to
      Ancient American to investigate, pehaps do an article on Stone Faces:

      http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/bayer-cont/

      Susan
    • Pam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2007
        Hi Susan!

        Last I heard, the stone was at the Chicago Historical Society Museum.  I visited it there about 2 or 3 years ago.  At that time it was positioned outside of a permanent exhibit on the streets and development of Chicago.

        The stone is of the scale of some Mayan and Olmec sculptures I've seen.   It also seems to me I remember reading a description of a signalling stone that seemed similar to the Waubansee Stone...if I remember what that was, I'll send more.

        Pam

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2007
          Pam,and all,

          Thanks for the information that the Waubansee Stone is still
          connected with the Field Museum; I hope to seek it out. A couple of
          old Chicago items:

          Here is the "W" page from the Encyclopedia of Early Chicago; one can
          see Native American Indian names for many of the streets, buildings,
          parks...(as is true throughout the Great Lakes and much of the
          country).

          Early Chicago web site- Waubansee also Wabansa, Wabansie, Wabansee,
          Wapunsy, Waubonsa, Wabonsia, Wahponseh—the...Wabansa stone a
          glacial boulder that appears to be red granite. Scroll down to
          Waubansee Stone for the site's description and photo:

          http://www.earlychicago.com/encyclopedia.php?letter=W

          From the Directory of the City of Chicago, Obituaries
          (August0December, 1843): Wabansee, (Indian chief), died, Boonville,
          Mo., fall 1846, aged 80:

          http://all-ancestors.com/chicago/chicago048.htm

          Chicago parks, streets, a school are named after Chief Wabansee.

          Also, another chief w/similar name is a descendent of long ago giant
          cultures mentioned occasionally in the "Precolumbian Incriptions" web
          site. Same source= Wabinsheway 'White Elk', a Potawatomi chief of
          unusually tall stature'....

          I am having trouble since the last letter inserting the
          AmazonOnlineReader link to view p. 200 which shows a clear photo (and
          article) of the stone, from "Discovering the Mysteries of Ancient
          America: Lost History And Legends, Unearthed And Explored". May be
          too long:

          http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1564148424/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-2269162-
          9302459#reader-link

          I was born not far from the Miami Circle mentioned earlier, but grew
          up in the Chicago area and frequently visited the Field Museum. I
          later resided along water routes in Colorado, Lower Michigan, N.
          Dakota, SW Lake Superior shores, now overlooking the Wisconsin
          River. Funny how many of us live along/travel old or ancient
          waterways, then develop a passion for retracing these signinificant
          paths which have linked 'global others' throughout the millinnea and
          beyond.

          Most significant in my personal pursuits, though, is not merely
          studying historic seafaring historic cultures, but ancient
          descendents who inhabited, traded, & traveled water routes of the
          Americas which many know linked world peoples to lands and cultures
          across the world....times when water levels, waterway routes,
          climactic and geographic conditions, etc. varied greatly from today.

          I see from the profile and previous letter, one of the members
          here, "Marmot", that you live in the NW part of the state. It would
          be wonderful to learn more from you about that part of the continent.
          I did not take good time to read or respond to you, or earlier posts
          from other very well.

          As you can tell from this month's posts, I initially had little time
          to commit to this site when the set-up person of this site,
          MinnesotaStan, kindly followed through with my request at an Ancient
          Earthworks Society meeting a few years ago. I hope to be able to
          continue part-time hours so as to further ancient socio-culture
          studies which strongly includes scientific "diffusionist" views and
          research.

          The beauty about groups such as this is that collectively, through
          correspondence, we can directly learn about, sometimes even visit
          each other's waterway areas w/their accompanying ancient legends
          which often seem to carry larger truths than historical accounts.
          The more people who write posts about the old waterways they frequent
          or have researched, the names and legends surrounding them, the
          greater the historical record can thus be extended far into the
          ancient past.

          For some years I have been asked to join cooperative research with
          Native American grad students and others of various cultures in
          researching, surveying, preserving the few remaining ancient sites
          left around this part of the country. I suspect this will increase
          the more I become semi-retired.

          I seem to be learning more about the pre-history of particular
          regions and waterways by way of aboriginal, "Indian" and Native
          American names such areas were originally known by. Unfortunately
          most records are limited to post-Columbian historical accounts, as I
          am finding currently in researching the Wisconsin River. I wonder if
          we might get far enough back into ancient history, prior to the
          divisions and schisms of nations, even before the times of worldwide
          nation states, that we may also find no tribal and nation
          differentiations and conflicts that are often carried from earliest
          historic account and verbal legends of the Americas.

          I believe we are in a significant era of cooperative rather than
          competition where we are beginning once again to interconnect
          peacefully, globally----neither excluding nor degrading any culture.
          Answers to our many current social problems may well be found only
          within the integrity of deeper truths of our very ancient past. Then,
          not just studying and archiving these truths, but living them.

          It has long been my hope that by traveling ancient, global Americas--
          starting from each of our own personal water route regions
          of 'visitation'--that we, as a very open-minded/hearted Ancient
          Waterways Society group, can help find and bring intimately into our
          lives many legacies of the wisdomkeepers of ancient times, waiting
          to be handed forth to us, into the historical record for us now, and
          our ancestry.

          My deepest thanks for being here at this web site.

          M. Susan English
          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Pam" <pgiese@...>