Re: Maps

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2007
      Welcome Steve,

      Thank you for coming on board to our site...from your ancient
      waterway in W. Minnesota or coastal Santa Cruz, California, to each
      of ours.

      Mutual friend Marion Dahm spoke frequently and fondly of you,
      Steve, was enthusiastic about the work you were doing in regard to
      the Kensington Runestone, ancient viking seafarer exploration of
      North America, and especially mooring stones. Days prior to Marion's
      untimely death, I'd spent over an hour on the phone reading to him,
      verbatum, letters you and others had posted to the PreColumbian
      Inscriptions and Ohio Rock "thor" group message boards. Marion
      remarked that you were a real sleuth and no doubt possessed the same
      kind of passion and energy for the kind of work that both of you
      were doing. He added, that you would need it. I, too, miss him very
      much. See Posts #30, 31, & 35 to this group, particularly the fine
      eulogy about Marion from Ancient Waterways Society member Pam Giese
      that she wrote to the "thor group" and also included in a post to
      this group.

      Surveyor James Scherz, also a longtime friend of Marion, had been
      planning an October, 2006 trip with Marion up to Lake Nipigon or
      Nippising (cannot redcall the name of the Canadian lake) prior to the
      AAAPF Conference. Jim is courting my good friend Laurie in Central
      Wisconsin and spends considerable amounts of time in the Wausau area.
      He stopped yesterday while I was seated reading posts. I showed him
      the Ancient Waterways Society web site and your post, which he asked
      me to run a print of. Also a couple of posts from Stan re: the AES
      meeting Jan. 18th (which he plans to attend), along with the whale
      bone and MSNBC article about the upcoming documentary on the Great
      Lakes 10,000 years ago.

      I have long been using the name "Ancient Waterways Society" based on
      papers by retired UW Madison prof. James Scherz, also from
      writings and talks by Fred Rydholm, author/researcher David Hoffman,
      and others. Marion Dahm also included himself as a member of
      an "Ancient Waterways Society" but did not own a computer in order to
      follow group posts. All three friends listed above held very close
      ties with Marion Dahm, housed him when Marion asked me to transport
      him through northern Wisconsin, Keweenaw Peninsula, Marquette, then
      down along Lake Michigan to Door County where Marion was following up
      a lead seeking his first mooring stone in that area.

      In your post, Steve, did you indicate that you purchased an entire
      set of the mid-1800's survey maps of Minnesota? Dr. Scherz is
      working with a survey group researching the origins of the
      Mississippi River and we wondered if a single survey map can be
      purchased. I want to mention to this group, by the way, that when I
      first told him an Ancient Waterways Society web page had been set up,
      Jim thought this site would be a good place for researchers to
      display papers. He offered a full 24 page research article to us to
      post to this site, which he also sells through the Ancient American
      Magazine Book Club. The retired professor doesn't have an operational
      computer; I don't own Microsoft Word, am using dial-up service, and
      neither the computer nor myself has the sophistication to download
      large files. Title page of Jim's paper reads:

      "OLD WATER LEVELS AND WATERWAYS During the Ancient Copper Mining Era
      (about 3000 BC to 1000 BC)"

      James P. Scherz, Prof. Emeritus
      Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering
      (Surveying and Mapping Section)
      University of Wisconsin
      Madison, WIsconsin
      July, 1999

      David Hoffman, mentioned above, emailed a day or two ago he was
      having difficulty signing on as a member of this web group so that he
      could write posts. His latest work on ancient seafarers into the
      Great Lakes focuses on a N. Wisconsin origin of the Wisconsin River.
      I emailed back to David that I believe one must first sign on as a
      member of Yahoo groups, which includes obtaining a Yahoo email
      address. When I joined my first Yahoogroup (PreColumbian
      Inscriptions), a post to the group from Mike White assisted me step-
      by-step in joining. I have been unable to find Mike's helpful message
      to that site.

      Before signing off, I wish to include other web groups mentioned
      in this letter. A few of us posting here view Messages or are
      members of the other specialty Yahoogroups:

      PreColumbain Inscriptions (host Mike White):

      The Thor (Ohio Rock) site (host William Smith):

      American Runestones (recently resurrected by Steven Hilgren):

      Ancient American Artifact Preservation Foundation (AAAPF), host Rick
      Osmond, Indiana):

      Looking forward to hearing more about your work. Also from those of
      you who continue on patiently, as members, despite the sometimes
      infrequency of posts. We do hope that the letters posted here make
      it worthwhile. Any comments or ideas to improve this web page would
      be welcome.

      Sincerely,

      M. Susan English

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "hilgren"
      <hilgren@...> wrote:

      Hi Susan,Stan and other members
      My name is Steve and I am from west central minnesota. I do
      ancient viking research and have found an interesting map that members
      may not have. There are a set of 48 maps that are the original land
      survey from the mid 1800,s. These maps cover an area from the dakota
      minnesota border, east thru wisconsin and Michigan. They are very
      detailed and the whole set is over $200. Each map is 2x3 and is $5 and
      can be ordered separately. These maps are copywrited and so can be
      only purchased from the Trygg Land Office in Ely minnesota...

      http://www.trygglandoffice.com/maps.html

      These maps have been a great help in my research. They show clearly
      the higher water marks that the first settlers were encountering and
      the waterways that were once the highways to the interior.

      In the last year I have began viewing the glass not as half full or
      half empty but as FULL and the midwest covered by water and large
      shallow inland seas. I started with an all blue picture and then
      started dropping the waters and mapping the islands as they began to
      emerge. Soon I could then see the remains of these inland seas and
      ancient waterways on the trygg land maps.

      On the (KRS) kensington runestone, the last line says, "from this
      island,year 1362"..... ISLAND???.Where was the water???

      I have tried this last year to picture the more extreme high waters
      that would correspond with the different dates. Norse explorers of
      1362, viking explorers of a 1000 years ago and then even more ancients
      of 2-5 thousand years ago.

      In july I found a new higher water mark and have begun mapping these
      beaches. I am working on these maps this winter and mapping these
      islands as the ancients would have found them.

      Thanks and happy hunting in the new year.

      STEVE
    • STEVEN HILGREN
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2007
        Good Sunday Morning

        Hi Susan and thanks for your reply. It is always good
        to hear from you. My internet is wireless and portable
        but seasonal and when I get to rural minnesota it
        stops. BUT a new coffee shop has just opened in
        Alexandria and I will now be able to get online a few
        minutes a week. Here in california I live next to the
        silicon valley and have the best ,,but then the north
        woods of minnesota is the dark side of the moon.

        ...I do not have much interest in the west coast
        waterways other than walking along them but I do try
        to use it for it,s cutting edge tech and it gives me a
        bit of time away to correspond,read, etc.

        Susan wrote: "Steve, did you indicate that you
        purchased an entire
        set of the mid-1800's survey maps of Minnesota? Dr.
        Scherz is
        working with a survey group researching the origins of
        the
        Mississippi River and we wondered if a single survey
        map can be
        purchased."
        I have only 4 maps and they sell for $6 each and can
        be purchased separately. It would take you about 10
        maps for the upper mississippi. At their site you are
        given a map to chose from: Minn,
        #1,2,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,19 and iowa #1. are the numbers
        I would guess???that would get the river bottom of
        today.
        please,,NOW,however you need to see the world a bit
        different than you may be use too...I am trying to
        paint a new picture for EVERYONE based on the
        discoverys of this last year. There is NO upper
        mississippi river BUT it is a center and deepest point
        of a LARGE inland sea. The west shore of this sea is
        here in west central minnesota and the east shore is
        not yet visible and may be near Duluth. When I put all
        my maps together and put it up on the wall,,,out
        jumped the new sea and the beaches along the edge of
        that sea are marked on these maps. Here in west
        central minn is two large islands and a cluster of
        smaller islands on witch is the KRS.
        ALSO,,,please note,,,there is no old upper
        mississippi river valley before 1400,s,,,,Schoolcraft
        was the indian agent who found itasca BUT Zebulin Pike
        found the source somewhere else and I have a map that
        also shows it in west central minnesota. Itasca was a
        good place for a park, thats all! The lake in west
        central minn is higher than itasca and also flows 3
        directions and to the missippi,red river and hudson
        bay and to lake superior.

        you also wrote: "mailed back to David that I believe
        one must first sign on as a
        member of Yahoo groups, which includes obtaining a
        Yahoo email
        address."
        that is probably best but not maybe necessary,,,but i
        do notice that it is easyier to load photos to FILES
        rather than photos.
        I also belong to Thor and Pre columbus and American
        runestones etc.

        This week I will be trying to scan my maps and
        sattelite photos into my laptop and then post to your
        sites and mine.They will give you a better look at
        these maps. I spend hours looking at them and trying
        to defind these ancient shores. ODDLY too,,these maps
        have all the log cabins at the time and now have led
        me to finding many of them too.

        I look foreward to discussions in the coming month.
        There is so much to do,,,as the picture on the puzzle
        box gets clearer and clearer and bigger too. The beach
        I found on this hillside this last summer is a WHOLE
        NEW WORLD,,or old. This is maybe the highest watermark
        of that greatflood on this inland sea.

        I would call this new sea,,, Lake MARION or the
        Marion OCEAN or the marion sea?????and i did get to
        show him that sea last summer and we drove along it,s
        beach. Here is the small bay which is a swamp today
        and has my ship and also along this great new beach I
        took the mooring stone photo with marion and leland.

        I wish that some of these unused buttons on here
        could be used and one was an excitement button,,,as I
        would be pressing it often. I have learned to read the
        KRS and the map on it. I would be pressing that
        excitement button again...!?

        Also i would hope that you and your friends know
        about the free google earth and the new updates that
        make flying obselete. They make tracing the river
        simpler and it,s always a clear and sunny summer day
        photo.

        have a great day

        steve

        ps,,susan...i got poor grades in english and my typing
        skills have now graduated to two fingers....I took
        shop class ,,,and have been building new homes and
        remodeling for 25years. sorry!

        http://mail.yahoo.com