Diet choices

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28 12:59 PM
      To give you my own frame of mind re> diet choices,
      i am a fan of that chef on Travel Channel that goes
      around chowing down on the local foods around the
      world.

      I've tried and quite enjoyed insects, reptile,
      marsupial, rodents large and small (squirrel to
      beaver) any and all birds are on my ok list... they're
      just fluffy reptiles.

      That's why ozzy-goanna "tastes like chicken"... it IS.
      That's why chickens act like predatory, omnivorous
      velociraptors, they ARE. In a pinch, the household cat
      and pet boa constrictor would be on the endangered
      species list without a qualm (if it really got that
      bad).

      But i'd figure out how to fish or even eat the worms,
      first, if the animal pal involved was a friend and
      dependable personality. Both cats and "regular" dogs
      tend to hunt well and bring home the prey to show off.
      That would be handier than their protein value. (Goose
      and golden egg observation.) The neighbor's yappy
      lahsa-apsos might be first targets if there were no
      social enforcers, however... ah ah! ;^)
      -c

      P.S. But agreed, if vegitarian, agrarian sources of
      sustinance can be had, better yet. Pass the fried
      grasshoppers and peas!

      --- Rick Osmon <ozman@...> wrote:

      >> "At this point i only do target, not seeing any
      >> need to kill something if my fridge is already
      >> full. "
      > I am of the same philosophy, but when the fridge has
      > no electricity, the
      > only fresh meat is freshly killed meat. Salting,
      > smoking, drying, and
      > canning then become very important survival skills.
      > I draw the line at
      > eating possum, however, and I'm not fond of
      > raccoon....I'm not fond of
      > wild turkey, either, but seeing as that is one of
      > the more prominent
      > game species here, I can adjust.
      >
      > Much of the human population to the east and south
      > of me is Amish. Low
      > tech, subsistence living is the standard, not the
      > exception.
      >
      > I think I'll invite Ted Nugent, too....
      >
      > Excuse me now, I have to place a seed order.
      >
      > Best
      >
      > Oz

      Be a better friend, newshound, and