Diving "escort" dogs buried with ancient Americans

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2008

      Falashaleott and All here,

      As one who decades ago ruptured an Achilles tendon in a skiing accident, I cringed thinking of Falashaleott's  pup enjoying its favorite game with my tendons and heels :)

      Others here may have  more to say re: Falashaleott's inquiry about natural selection but I did find an interesting web site on Israeli dogs with a descendency similar to what you were referring to. There is actually a Canaan Dog Home Page and Israel Canaan Dog Club of America, Inc. website-

      see http://www.itb.it/canaan/icdca/ .

      The site includes  a few paragraphs on selection by way of  dog breeders as well as wild dogs evolving via  natural selection...."only the strongest, most fit and most intelligent specimens survived the demanding conditions of the harsh Israeli environment. "

      All here,  maybe some of our 'Lost Tribes of Israel to America" diffusionist  friends might look for ancient Middle Eastern-N. American DNA links in connection with this wild Caanan dog & some of the free spirited dogs one finds on reservations.  In the 1940's and 50's in my small Illinois town, dogs and cats  ran loose in every neighborhood, no collars, no laws yet for vaccinating,  and many were considered wild 'mutts'.  Now, in my C. Wisconsin town, only wild 'sewer cats' have survived and are adept at eluding  police and animal catchers.

      Perhaps  the various photos from the Israel Canaan Dog Club of America resemble the ones you are referring to.  Thank you for posting ..... from whereever  your island and ancient waterway is, to each of ours.

      Susan