Tracking Eight Goths and Twenty Two Norwegians

  • Rick Osmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2008

       A Proud Sponsor of the Atlantic Conference

      Hello Loopers!

      In this issue:

      This Week's Show:  Kensington Pilgrimage

      Op/Ed:  The Hardest Part

      Possum Holler News: Cue the Music!

      Other news:  Ancient board-games and a compass-rose unearthed in Iran

      Events: Send your organization's events to  oz@...

      Last week's show:   Rick Firestone, Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes

      Next week's show:  May Day, May Day!!

      Site of the week:  http://www.anarchaeology.com/

      This Week's Show:  Kensington Pilgrimage

      Tracking Eight Goths and Twenty Two Norwegians on Rune Stone Hill

      Photo: Judi Rudebusch

      On April 14th I made a pilgrimage to Alexandria and Kensington Minnesota to visit the Kensington Rune Stone Museum, the future home of the Kensington Area Historical Society, and the Ohman Farm Park. I received a warm reception from the staff at the museum, the county employee in charge of planning for the park, some other interested parties. I’ll describe what I encountered and my impressions. The next day, I was privileged to tour Scott Wolter’s lab where he conducted the majority of the geological testing on the Rune Stone. The next day included a quick stop at Wayne May’s place and a once in a lifetime encounter with a specimen of Wisconsin wildlife.

      Op/Ed:   The Hardest Part

      The hardest, most dreaded part of my compiling this newsletter is always the part you are reading right now. Expressing an opinion, writing an essay, formulating an argument, or choosing the right words to convince a jury of your peers poses no easy task, especially if you want those words to spur some action on the part of others. Other factors, such as style, tone, usage, and complexity also play important roles, but the action verbs inspire, while passive verbs just are.

      Research! Evaluate! Compile! Establish! Postulate! Compose! Write! Present! Defend! Correlate! Collaborate! Extrapolate!

      All these verbs might apply to what this community attempts to convey to accredited institutions regarding the facts as we see them. Sometimes, we get the facts wrong (but seldom). Sometimes, we misinterpret data (equally seldom). Sometimes, a major find meets dismissal on the basis of a single negative opinion (though that opinion promulgates throughout academia).

      Rather than trying to convince someone of the validity and provenience of an artifact (that it is real), perhaps we need to convince them, simply, that it merits formal study and then go on to provide a draft plan for that study. Citing previous scholarly work almost always contributes positively to such an argument. Evaluating previous test and evaluation protocols and adapting them to the work in question can provide a shortcut and cost savings for some types of investigations. By extension, and more pointedly, most investigations require funding and a sound financial plan remains the most certain aspect of capturing academic attention.

      Okay, my part in this comes to a temporary end. Your turn.

      = = = =

      Please feel free to submit opinions or editorials for this section to mailto:oz@...

      Possum Holler News: Cue the music!

      I’m adding a short commercial break at the half hour, bumper music, and some carefully selected and placed sound effects. First up as far as bumper music features “Sick of Sarah”, with Abeesha on vocals and guitar. New musicians rarely impress me, but this one exhibits promising talent. I only hope she soon realizes that explicit lyrics possess no intrinsic artistic merit.

      The green season is upon us, and the mowing and tending of the studio grounds is an all day task, sometimes twice a week.

      The “new” (to me) airplane, designed for a pilot six inches shorter than I am, is going to be quite an undertaking – or I will fly quite uncomfortably.

      .Pat underwent an angiogram today. No blockage. All is right with the world. Well, with her heart, anyway. But then I already knew she had a great heart.

      Other news:  Ancient board-games and a compass-rose unearthed in Iran

      One million artifacts acquired by US museum

      Alpine task force formed to salvage prehistoric treasures

      Did Romans 'tide up' Stonehenge?

      Exploring mesolithic times of British moorland life

      State Historic Properties Website Goes Live - Inside INdiana Business (press release)

      Events: Send your organization's events to  oz@...

      The Atlantic Conference

      AKHA, QUEST FOR PHOENICIANS      April 26th, 2:00PM    Falls of the Ohio , Marilyn Michael 1324 Garden Hill Place, Louisville, KY 42245

       marmakha@....

      Last week's show:  Rick Firestone, Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes

      Dr. Richard Firestone, of Lawrence Berkley Laboratories, is part of the inter-disciplinary team that discovered evidence of an extraterrestrial impact event, associated it with the demise of the Clovis culture and the megafuanal extinction event and the Younger-Dryas climatic event. His contribution was part of the recent History Channel special, Journey to 10,000 BC.

      Next week's show:  May Day, May Day!!

      Site of the week: http://www.anarchaeology.com/

      Oopa Loopa Cafe merchandise Tell the world you're a Looper!!

      Did you receive this newsletter from someone else and would you like to receive it regularly? If so please send an email to oz@..., subject "Subscribe"

      Thanks for listening

      Your host

      Rick Osmon, aka Oz

      http://oopaloopacafe.com to find great info about guests and previous shows

      http://blogtalkradio.com/oopa-loopa-cafe to listen to the live shows and join the chat

      Call in during show (646) 652-2720

      Mobile (not during live show, please) (812) 259-1102

      oz@...