Pre-historic or early historic rock cairns? along Keweenaw Bay, Lake Superior

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2008
      All,

      Click on the photos below, to enlarge; I have seen this one but the article below makes reference to others:

      Pre-History or Early History of Baraga County, MI? ' The stone CAIRN seen in this photo taken in about 1900 shows one of the cairns that were built in the Pequaming area of Baraga County.  The stone structures were built for some unknown reasons by persons prior to the arrival of the white persons into the county.  The height of the cairn can be seen by the man standing along side of the stone pile.  The cairns were destroyed by the persons that were logging the area in the early 1950s and today only the stones, scattered on private property remain.

      Cairn1.jpg (22955 bytes)
      Cairn2.jpg (37565 bytes)
      The stone cairns may be seen in the background of this party that was enjoying an outing at what was commonly called picnic point.
      I will update these five photos as more information is available.To obtain more information on any of the photos on this page please send me an email message':  dompier@...