Dolmen in N. Minnesota & Ontario,, Canada, etc.

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008

      All,

      Rick, you mentioned hearing of  a dolmen in Indiana.  There appear to be at least two or three in N. Minnesota.  One is found via an interesting research site called "A View of the Bronze Age" by retired Univ. of Calif. professor Fred Legner who some of you might know from PreColumbian Inscriptions: http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/bronze/bronze4.htm

      Scroll down to click Fig. 32, or click directly to photo of dolmen found at  Lake Lujenda in N. Minnesota:  http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/bronze/doc/bron32.htm

      And, from Sacred Places North America: 108 Destinations (2003)  by Brad Olsen (p. 226 with circ  circa  1600-map of Great Lakes Tribes and Native Sacred Sites:

      ..."Substantiating the prehistoric seafarer theory are many ancient relics near the Lake Superior mines with equally ancient dates. Examples are the Saw Bill Landing Dolmen in Northern Minnesota with an Ogam inscription of Baal the Caananite sun god; another dolmen known as the Huron Mountain Mystery Stone near Marquette, Michigan [which our friend Fred Rydholm has visited and written extensively aboauat]; the Newberry, Michigan statues and tablet with an undesciphered script that appears to be a cross between the Minoan alphabet and a version of Hittite; a possible calendar site marking the spring equinox on Devil's Island north of Sault Ste. Marie in Ontario; and numerous other monolithic standing stones, some containing Ogam inscriptions or other writings, strategically placed to denote safe anchorages or markers indicating the various river routes leading north to Hudson Bay."... http://books.google.com/books?id=Ap3q_odwhAAC&pg=PA226&lpg=PA226&dq=minnesota+dolmen&source=web&ots=KI4IOC06YI&sig=YJaMsIz5PSlXh4VDh4yodASguYk&hl=en

      Both of the above sites have substantial information on the 800 megaliths at the Peterborough site in Ontario, Canada.

      Kelso Mt. Trail is another dolmen  near Duluth, MN-Superior, WI, probably near where member Herb Wagner resides and is photographing the anomolous underwater  stone structure.  Herb, when  the weather warms and you have time for a  motorcycle/canoe trip, perhaps you might snap photos of one or more of these wilderness places.

      http://www.bwac.smugmug.com/gallery/3628684_y3h9i/1/206703672_vD2PN#206703672

      "...Getting into the canoe near Dolmen on Kelso River. What is a Dolmen? It depends which story you choose to believe. Dolmen is a rock. This particular dolmen is a big rock resting on three little rocks. Except one can rotate one of the supporting rocks about 20 degrees. How can that be? And was the dolmen erected by ancients or fire lookout workers on their day off? You decide. At either case, the Dolmen is just east across the Kelso River and the entrance to Kelso Mountain Trail."

      Kelso Mountain Trail-

      How to get there:
      From Duluth, Minnesota, drive to Tofte on Hwy. 61, turn left onto Sawbill Trail and drive to Sawbill Lake (about 24 miles). At the Sawbill Lake is USFS multiple site campground, parking lot, Sawbill Canoe Outfitters ( with a supplies store and showers), and canoe landing. Canoe portion of the route (5 miles):

      From the canoe landing at Sawbill, paddle north, then west to Kelso River (30 rod portage) upstream on Kelso River (don't worry about negligible current) and continue north on Kelso Lake and into Kelso River again. Kelso River winds and splits into two streams. Stay to the left. Eventually, you will approach a remnant of a beaver dam with a clear channel going through. On east side of the BD is a large boulder, called dolmen, perched on three small rocks. The landing and trailhead is on the west side, of the river, opposite and across from the dolmen. Remains of a small dock are still visible under the water near shore.

      http://www.boundarywaterscanoearea.com/activities/hiking/kelsomountain.html

      Have been out of town and  catching up reading some of the posts here.  No comments needed as I am just adding bits of information and a few links for the archives here for future reference for various  groups and individual  research being done here,

      Susan