monks mound apology?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2008
      In an article about the Cahokia Mounds in the local newspaper, there was some reference to making a mistake. I assume this was a result of the despoilation of Monks Mound with Backhoes, in august 2007. Below is the quote.

      -----

      Now the focus is less on excavation, relying on remote sensing with a type of radar that lets them view underground without digging into the mounds.
      "We realized it's a finite resource -- once you dig, you destroy," said George Holley of Minnesota State University in Moorhead. Holley led 10 years of what he called "minimal excavations" at Cahokia, focusing on remote sensing to learn about the prehistoric city.
      "We are frail humans, we make mistakes," he said.