Eagle claw mace

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2008
      Attached is a photo of an artifact that my wife found  In July 2007, South of Valmeyer, IL. My better half, Shari, found the attached mace in a farm field south of Valmeyer laying in the edge of a farm field. She said she thought it looked like a piece of plastic at first and exclaimed "Vince you might want to come look at this!". It had been plowed up by a plow and deposited on the side of the field.

      When I saw it I knew it was an important piece, and  I showed Dr. Gomer, who suggested a resemblance to the Hooked Eagle claw maces of the Duck River Cache and stated it is a piece of "Big Medicine Status"thought it resembles the hooked maces from the Duck River Cache Hooked or Eagle Claw pieces.
      http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/duckrivermuseumdisplaylarge.htm

      Could it relate to these object functionality in style? Has anyone heard of any other possible hooked eagle claw effigy celt/ maces found in southern Illinois ? The hooked piece is not an accidental break as it may seem, rather a very carefully and skillfully worked addition.

      I sent photos of it to the director of the McClung museum and to Pete Bostrom, and they sugested its a broken spud. Howver, upon inspection, it is clearly not broken and the hooked claw is not a mistake, but instead carefully and skillfully chipped.

      If this piece is indeed a hooked mace, and I believe that it resembles the Famous Duck River cache hooked eagle claw maces, it does show a remarkable connection across ancient waterways.

      Thanks
      Vince

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2008
        One other additional piece of esoteric brainstorming information, the eagle claw hooked maces in general correspond to Bootes, the herdsman asterism grouping.

        http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://z.about.com/d/space/1/7/L/3/bootes.gif&imgrefurl=http://space.about.com/od/starsplanetsgalaxies/ig/Constellations-Pictures/bootes.htm&h=130&w=130&sz=20&tbnid=GALSuOqDGCUJ:&tbnh=130&tbnw=130&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

        Could the hooked maces represent bootes?
        What do you think?

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 22, 2008
          My wife and I also found these artifacts within about 50 feet of each other at the Schaefers site on the surface of the farm. They are simple farm implements.

          One is a metal rusted piece of a plow, probably from the early to mid 1900's
          The other, a stone hoe blade. of ancient native aboriginal origin.

          The remarkable thing is how similar they are shaped, nearly identical in outline.

          I think the stone hoe blade will last far longer than the steel.
          Vince