Re: Remains of giants along upper waters of Missouri, Mississippi?

  • minnesotastan
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 20, 2008
      The shin bones were LONG, close to twice my own. Guesstimating the
      length, I would say they were around 40-45"long.

      The first thought that comes to my mind is that perhaps the exhibitors
      used real bones, but not human bones, to modify a human skeleton.
      Shin bone morphology might not be that different among species, though
      I can't be certain of that. I do remember that it was the discovery
      of dinosaur bones in Greece that led the ancients to postulate a
      preexistent race of giants.
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 17, 2012
        All,

        Chris, thank you for posting and updating us on The Equinox Project, and your thoughts and concerns in regard to the recent article Ted Sojka posted re: the total destruction of the particular California petroglyphs.  I forwarded your post and TEP web site to several interested petroglyph preservation people and an active Facebook group in Minnesota who occasionally follow our group's posts.

        On a different matter .... a subject I have been intrigued without end that has been brought up many times under a variety of topic headings.
        I ran across an article from a Minnesota DNR publication about giant animal skeletal excavations and a discovery within a cave in Minnesota, all along or near the present Mississippi River.  I  take liberties here picking up a four year old series of AWS posts by several members re: giants, and particularly Steve Garcia's (bigalemc2) thought-provoking 'Questions...' and things to ponder when looking at research claims, data, evidence for authenticity vs. 'fakery'.  Such as giant human (and presumably  animal skeletons).  Steve's post from 2008 and others cascading below are what i am 'replying' from rather  than starting another new topic heading.  As one of your former co-founders and co-hosts here, i hope I may feel free to take such liberties, with the intent to continue possible thought/discussion many of you have started through the years, as members.  We have many excellent multi-post themes from this group in our archives that are easily retrievable (for me), so please see some of the old posts below my current letter here,  and Steve's letter about allegedly very, very old  giant human skeletal remains he examined as a newcomer.  AWS host Vince Barrows and Steve Garcia are both engineers, both grew up near Cahokia/St. Louis and the Mississippi River.  And both inspire me to learn to think more scientifically, critically...

        What I wish to post that I ran across today is this, from a Minnesota DNR newsletter about an alleged 22,500 year old giant saber tooth cat skeleton found in the SE 'driftless' area of SE Minnesota.  I know little of this driftless region not too far from where I live that was apparently unaffected by so-called glacial displacement, though I do not know uf that would include rebound or uplift.  but even more intriguingly within that srticle, to me, was what may have been an approx. 250# or black bear-sized beaver which co-existed among modern beaver discovered approx. 10,000 years ago near the St. Paul,Minnesota  area of the Mississippi River (practically in the neighborhood of where my son and his family live---they will find this fascinating, if none of you do !)

        http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/marapr09/megafauna_history.html

        Susan English, central Wisconsin

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "bigalemc2"  wrote:

         Susan -

         First of all, I see that you have learned to format your posts nicely.
         Excellent!

         As to this - mention of giants - I have a bit to say, nothing
         authoritative, but maybe worth throwing in here.

         I am not sure what your take on this extract was (did you read the
         entire article?), but I understood this specific mention to be somewhere
         along the James River in Virginia, but it seemed to me you are saying it
         was in the upper regions of the Missouri or Mississippi.  Can you
         clarify which was intended by the author?

         The mention specifically of the 'upper Missouri' along with 'giants'
         brought back a personal experience:

         In about 1978-9, I went to a traveling circus in Lake County, Illinois,
         somewhere near Gray's Lake or Wildwood.  On the midway one of the
         exhibits was something touted as a 10-foot human skeleton.  At the time
         I was not into any of this, but it was certainly worth 25 cents or so,
         so I went in and had a look.

         I was a newby at such things and don't pretend that my discernment was
         un-fool-able, but for all the close examination I could garner, I swear
         the thing was legitimate.  Here is what I saw:

         I was expecting to see some really fake set of bones.  I was wrong.

         As I recall, they claimed that the bones were found somewhere in the
         upper Missouri basin.  I have a 'Steve's-mind-produced' memory from that
         time of picturing it somewhere in southern Montana or somewhere in
         Wyoming or western Nebraska.

         I saw a (complete, as I recall) skeleton that was seated on the floor of
         the exhibit up against what I remember as a decent replica of a cave
         wall.  The knees were drawn up toward the chest somewhat.  I do not
         recall the position of the arms.  The shin bones were LONG, close to
         twice my own.  Guesstimating the length, I would say they were around
         40-45" long.  The shoulders were at a height from the floor very close
         to the top of the knees, possibly a bit higher, possibly a bit lower,
         but certainly in proportion.  How large the skull was I don't remember,
         but did not notice it being out of proportion.

         I estimated the height of the person at between 9'-6" and 11'-0".  I do
         remember comparing shin lengths and torso lengths to people coming
         through the exhibit.

         The build of the skeleton was not robust, but was much more like a
         basketball player than a football lineman.

         (Later when I read Otto Muck's Secret's of Atlantis, my ears perked up
         when he said that Cromagnon man averaged 6'-6" (Michael Jordan''s
         height), and that the women averaged 6'-0", and that they sometimes
         exceeded 8 feet, I thought back to that skeleton on the midway, and I
         wondered if Cromagnon man had lived in North America.)

         The coloration of the bones appeared as one might expect of ones that
         had been in the earth for some time, somewhat brown, with the coloration
         seeming to be absorbed into the bones to some extent.

         I looked long and hard to spot any obvious - to my then untrained eyes -
         fakery.  I did not merely walk in and walk out, but spent a good 20
         minutes or so looking for flaws in what they did.  I don't recall my
         exact thoughts, but do remember coming out thinking that if it was a
         fake it sure was done so well I could not detect how they did it.

         Questions I had then (and still have now) were (assuming fakery):

             1. Did they mold the bones out of plastic?  (Answer then: that is a
         LOT of molds to create just to fake ONE skeleton!)

             2. Were they made from larger bones carved down? (Answer then:  The
         surface of bones is not the same as the underlying cellular structure,
         so it seemed that it would have shown up.  But I could be fooled in this
         way.)
             3. How did they keep all the bones in proportion and so well
         carved/molded?  (Answer: They would have to be really expert in anatomy,
         plus be able to size all of them up to that scale from a normal sized
         skeleton.  This was before 3D computer and CAT scans and MRIs, etc., not
         to mention tomography.  Someone would have to be expert in anatomy AND
         sculpture - not likely, but not impossible.)
             4. Motive:  Why would anyone with any of the requisite skills to fake
         that spend their time on a 25-cent midway exhibit?  Their talents and
         experience would seem to be worth a hell of a lot more in forensics or
         biology or in creating museum exhibits.
         So, Steve could have been fooled, but Steve was trying his best not to
         be fooled.  If it was fake, I got taken in.  My impression was that it
         was - even though in a carny atmosphere/presentation - somehow,
         unpredictably,  genuine.

         I also recall back before then having heard that sometimes there are
         real finds that science hoots at (hence groups such as the present one),
         so the discoverers are left with no other way to capitalize on their
         finds other than to exhibit them in undignified ways.

         Ha, Ha!  Even then, it seems, I didn't take "science's" word for it on
         what was legitimate and what was not.

         Well, that is it.  Was it real?  I imagine I will go to my grave not
         knowing.  But I would sure like another go at it. With what I have
         learned in the 30 years since then, I would be able to form a much
         better opinion now...

         . . . . Steve

         I was doing a search for a couple of retired geologists and ran across
         the following articles; the first was from the upper waters of the
         Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. I haven't free access to JSTOR but
         perhaps some of you will be able to view the full Jan-Mar,1913 article
         in American Anthropologist:

         Petroglyphs Representing the Imprint of the Human Foot
         [Written before 1705, the pictographs are still recognizable and faintly
         visible century and a half later]:

         `By the Fall of James River upon Colonial Byrd's Land, there lyes a Rock
         which I have seen, about a Mile from the River, wherein are fairly
         imprest several Marks like the Footprints of a gigantic Man, each Step
         being about five Foot asunder....These they aver to be the Track of
         their God.'

         M. Susan English

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 17, 2012
          Almost five years following your question about the 'll Jan-Mar,1913 article
           in American Anthropologist:

          "Petroglyphs Representing the Imprint of the Human Foot"

          Here is the link, reprinted in 2009:

          http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1525/aa.1913.15.1.02a00030/abstract

        • C TRAYLOR
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
            Very interesting:  That area, the falls, in 1711 the Crown tried to push the frontier westward.  From England, about six hundred Huguenot refugees in three ships from France were placed on the land between the fork of the river and above "falls."

            Important to the petroglyph subject:  This area had been an Indian town.

            Within a few years the Huguenots learned of their companions in Charleston, SC, and slowly all relocated.  At about this time, the Huguenots of Charleston received their first ordained minister ... expelled from Calle, France..  Huguenots were pro-testants, protestants by faith, expelled by the Catholic king.

            The river banks either side of the Falls rise about 50 feet to a plane, and then was wooded. It tends to be wooded today, even with homes in that area.

            It might be an interesting project for locals of that area to try to locate these sites.

            To add to the disruptive impact, during the Civil War there was a prisoner of war camp in the middle of the falls, that was near present downtown Richmond.  The "falls" is a rocky rapids over big boulders which ended the travel by ships.  A "ship" being designed for ocean use, a "boat" designed not for oceon use.

            Cal
            -- ================================

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
              My hometown of New Rochelle was settled by Hugenots who were excellent masons that built chruches, stone steeples, and some amazing roads across tidal areas that have been there since the 1600's though inundated by incoming and outgoing tides for hundreds of years.  Though they maintained good relation with the native population, there was always some cause for fear, and these roads went to small islands just off shore a few hundred yards where the governor of the colony lived.

              We had many officials from the sister city in La Rochelle visit over the years when I lived there.  My parents place had a stone wall that crossed several properties in the neighborhood that were dry laid with no mortar and they were still together when I was a child when we played on them daily.

              Thanks for the information, Cal
              ted

[...]

            • trayloroo
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
                In the Internet select IMAGES enter --- Giant Skeletons Found.

                Cal

                --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" wrote:

[...]
                arms. The shin bones were LONG, close to twice my own. Guesstimating
                the length, I would say they were around 40-45" long. The shoulders