Re: Remains of giants along upper waters of Missouri, Mississippi?

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18, 2008

      Steve G., All,

      Snowed-in again here yesterday and today, about  a foot more. Even Hillary's pre-primary visit to our town  was cancelled and she spent another night in Milwaukee. Thanks Steve for the earlier assist with Beta-Text formatting. Oz too. It makes reading these posts so much easier.

      The first web article I sent referring to evidence of large humans/'giants I did not have access to beyond the first page but will ask the librarian if it is available without the $12 JSTOR  fee.   In the David Bushnell, Jr.  article "Petroglyphys Representing the Imprint of the Human Foot", it  looks as though the James River refers to Richmond, VA. I copied this following  paragraphwhich is  above the one I cited and it looks as though one would have to see the entire article to see what is referred to of footprints or remains near the upper waters of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers:

      "Footprints" are usually found near water-courses. The best examples are isolated, dissociated from other figures. Again they are mingled with a group of carvings. But the first class appear to constitute a distinct type.  These curious figures have been found from below the falls of Jame river, near Richmond, across the mountains and down the valley of the Ohio to the Mississippi. Crossing the Mississippi, they are found in Missouri and Oklahoma. Other examples ahve been discovered near athe upper waterws of the Missouri and the Mississippi.

      Especially appropriate here at our site,  the JSTOR  article stated that  'footprints' were usually found near waterways.   My second link  sent earlier had dozens of 1800's references to human skeletal remains ranging from 7-13 feet or longer.  No scientific evidence was  indicated, but do we have to believe all were hoaxes?  I recall photos of such skeletons during the 40's, 50's when it would be less likely that photos could have been faked. Again, 1800's  written reports from the Ohio Valley:   http://www.geocities.com/saqatchr/page46.html

      Below is  another site,  not sure again  how credible the source. Anything that deviates from the 'norm' seems to be only accessible by way of such avenues as  paranormal, Biblical,  UFO sites, and, of course, circuses and carnival side shows.  Surely they are not all fakes, but there is no scientific avenue for legitimate, beyond-the-ordinary evidence.  Does anyone know of scientific studies w/mapping of  giant human skeletal remains in the Americas? Following the reports from these  two or three web links, isn't it intriguing that the reportings follow many of  the Mississippi, Missouri, Illinios, Ohio river courses we oftentimes talk about at this list?

      http://www.geocities.com/age_of_giants/ancient_giants/mound_builders.html

      Steve, I  enjoyed your experience at the circus from an area where I grew up.  That experience must have also sparked your curiousity in your future interests in things ancient.  I wonder how many of us here have had bizaar experiences of this sort which influenced future pursuits.

      As in many of Steve's  posts, the logical ordering of questions/considerations during his inquiries I find helpful.  Makes a  good reference post for our archives for those who will be listing future web links or doing  further inquiries on the subject.   PreColumbian Inscriptions  also has  numerous posts which refer to giants,  accessible too via their archives.  I refer back to posts by many of you members here via the Search box  or Message #  box above the messages.

      hile online here, I wonder how Georgian member, Jamie Clark is doing working with landowners who have discovered countless ancient giant animal bones and stone bird figures in sinkholes and  Tennessee caves along the Highland Rim? That are also is very much a Mississippi River tributary.

       Susan

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 18, 2008
        An interesting account of the "Cooper Mound" recounts the excavation from 1879. "...he says they have exhumed twenty-three skeletons, some of which were eight to nine feet long, and one eleven (!) feet! The skeletons were encased in peculiar putty-colored cement which exposure to the air reduces to a very fine powder.  This cement seems to have preserved the bones, except the parts near and at the joints."
        That has to be either the biggest skeleton ever found or an exaggeration.
        Thanks;
        Vince

      • bigalemc2
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2008
          Susan - As to this:
          The first web article I sent referring to evidence of large humans/'giants I did not have access to beyond the first page but will ask the librarian if it is available without the $12 JSTOR fee.
          My son is in college and I will ask him if he can access that article.  I think he can.

          . . . . Steve
        • minnesotastan
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2008
            The shin bones were LONG, close to twice my own. Guesstimating the
            length, I would say they were around 40-45"long.

            The first thought that comes to my mind is that perhaps the exhibitors
            used real bones, but not human bones, to modify a human skeleton.
            Shin bone morphology might not be that different among species, though
            I can't be certain of that. I do remember that it was the discovery
            of dinosaur bones in Greece that led the ancients to postulate a
            preexistent race of giants.
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 17, 2012
              All,

              Chris, thank you for posting and updating us on The Equinox Project, and your thoughts and concerns in regard to the recent article Ted Sojka posted re: the total destruction of the particular California petroglyphs.  I forwarded your post and TEP web site to several interested petroglyph preservation people and an active Facebook group in Minnesota who occasionally follow our group's posts.

              On a different matter .... a subject I have been intrigued without end that has been brought up many times under a variety of topic headings.
              I ran across an article from a Minnesota DNR publication about giant animal skeletal excavations and a discovery within a cave in Minnesota, all along or near the present Mississippi River.  I  take liberties here picking up a four year old series of AWS posts by several members re: giants, and particularly Steve Garcia's (bigalemc2) thought-provoking 'Questions...' and things to ponder when looking at research claims, data, evidence for authenticity vs. 'fakery'.  Such as giant human (and presumably  animal skeletons).  Steve's post from 2008 and others cascading below are what i am 'replying' from rather  than starting another new topic heading.  As one of your former co-founders and co-hosts here, i hope I may feel free to take such liberties, with the intent to continue possible thought/discussion many of you have started through the years, as members.  We have many excellent multi-post themes from this group in our archives that are easily retrievable (for me), so please see some of the old posts below my current letter here,  and Steve's letter about allegedly very, very old  giant human skeletal remains he examined as a newcomer.  AWS host Vince Barrows and Steve Garcia are both engineers, both grew up near Cahokia/St. Louis and the Mississippi River.  And both inspire me to learn to think more scientifically, critically...

              What I wish to post that I ran across today is this, from a Minnesota DNR newsletter about an alleged 22,500 year old giant saber tooth cat skeleton found in the SE 'driftless' area of SE Minnesota.  I know little of this driftless region not too far from where I live that was apparently unaffected by so-called glacial displacement, though I do not know uf that would include rebound or uplift.  but even more intriguingly within that srticle, to me, was what may have been an approx. 250# or black bear-sized beaver which co-existed among modern beaver discovered approx. 10,000 years ago near the St. Paul,Minnesota  area of the Mississippi River (practically in the neighborhood of where my son and his family live---they will find this fascinating, if none of you do !)

              http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/marapr09/megafauna_history.html

              Susan English, central Wisconsin

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 17, 2012
                Almost five years following your question about the 'll Jan-Mar,1913 article
                 in American Anthropologist:

                "Petroglyphs Representing the Imprint of the Human Foot"

                Here is the link, reprinted in 2009:

                http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1525/aa.1913.15.1.02a00030/abstract

              • C TRAYLOR
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
                  Very interesting:  That area, the falls, in 1711 the Crown tried to push the frontier westward.  From England, about six hundred Huguenot refugees in three ships from France were placed on the land between the fork of the river and above "falls."

                  Important to the petroglyph subject:  This area had been an Indian town.

                  Within a few years the Huguenots learned of their companions in Charleston, SC, and slowly all relocated.  At about this time, the Huguenots of Charleston received their first ordained minister ... expelled from Calle, France..  Huguenots were pro-testants, protestants by faith, expelled by the Catholic king.

                  The river banks either side of the Falls rise about 50 feet to a plane, and then was wooded. It tends to be wooded today, even with homes in that area.

                  It might be an interesting project for locals of that area to try to locate these sites.

                  To add to the disruptive impact, during the Civil War there was a prisoner of war camp in the middle of the falls, that was near present downtown Richmond.  The "falls" is a rocky rapids over big boulders which ended the travel by ships.  A "ship" being designed for ocean use, a "boat" designed not for oceon use.

                  Cal
                  -- ================================

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
                    My hometown of New Rochelle was settled by Hugenots who were excellent masons that built chruches, stone steeples, and some amazing roads across tidal areas that have been there since the 1600's though inundated by incoming and outgoing tides for hundreds of years.  Though they maintained good relation with the native population, there was always some cause for fear, and these roads went to small islands just off shore a few hundred yards where the governor of the colony lived.

                    We had many officials from the sister city in La Rochelle visit over the years when I lived there.  My parents place had a stone wall that crossed several properties in the neighborhood that were dry laid with no mortar and they were still together when I was a child when we played on them daily.

                    Thanks for the information, Cal
                    ted

[...]

                  • trayloroo
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 18, 2012
                      In the Internet select IMAGES enter --- Giant Skeletons Found.

                      Cal