Copper culture lecture - Madison, Wisconsin

  • minnesotastan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2006
      Fred Rydholm will be the featured speaker for the January meeting of
      the Ancient Earthworks Society...

      7:00 PM Thursday, January 18th, 2007
      Retired Prof. FRED RYDHOLM: "The Copper Culture and Wisconsin, UP
      Michigan and Great Lakes History"

      You won't want to miss this exciting presentation. Fred will be coming
      to us via video conferencing from a university in northern Michigan.
      (Bring on the technology!) The video is live from both ends so there
      will be interaction and the ability to ask questions. The last time
      Fred spoke to AES we went until 10 PM and people said they could have
      stayed all night listening to Fred!

      In the event Fred Rydholm is not able to present on January 18th, Dr.
      Gary Maier has graciously agreed to be our backup speaker. If Fred is
      able to present in January, Gary will present at our February meeting.
      An announcement will go out closer to the meeting with final details.

      We will be meeting at the UW Health Science Learning Center, 750
      Highland Avenue, Madison, room 1309, on the first floor. This room is
      right next to the entrance off the small (permit at all times) parking
      lot right off the building, in case you are dropping someone off. We
      hope to meet in this room for the next few months. Park free after
      4:30 in nearby Lot 76, or right next to the HSLC in the regular
      hospital ramp for $1 an hour.
    • Susan English
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2006
        Stan and all,

        Just home for the holidays from Madison the evening your note posted
        about the possible Fred Rydholm teleconference talk at the January
        Ancient Earthworks Society meeting in Madison. I will be in Madison
        doing clinicals most of January, yet that Thursday evening is free
        and I would enjoy attending the January meeting.

        Tonight I phoned one of the Ancient Earthworks Society founders,
        retired Prof. James Scherz who lives part of the time here in Wausau
        (also, Madison and Sauk City). He hadn't heard yet of the upcoming
        teleconference, told me to check further for him. We will meet
        downtown tomorrow for lunch and use my cell phone to call Fred.

        When Jim visited the Rydholms in Marquette last month, Fred gave him
        a copy of his new book to pass on to me. I need to personally
        thank him for it. The book is so popular Fred is scheduled to give a
        considerable number of talks as well as media programs since its
        release. The 2006 book by C. Fred Rydholm is titled: "MICHIGAN COPPER-
        The Untold Story-A History of Discovery"

        I pulled up the Ancient Earthworks Society web page this evening and
        do not see anything about the AES January meeting:

        http://www.madison.com/communities/aes/index.php

        If you have another AES web site as well as further information on an
        alternate/or February speaker, please pass that along also.

        Most appreciative of your recent postings, Stan. Hopefully will have
        time to delve a bit more deeply during the two weeks of vacation from
        classes and hospital clinicals.

        Respectfully,
        M. Susan English

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "minnesotastan"

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2006
          Stan & Ancient Waterways correspondents,

          AES founder, retired UW prof. James Scherz, another friend Laurie,
          and I met this afternoon, discussed Ed Grondine's "Man & Impact on
          the Americas". Jim purchased five copies of Ed's book and included
          exerpts into his own "working paper". Ed was a speaker at the
          October, 2006 Ancient American Artifact Preservation Foundation
          conference in Big Bay, Michigan.

          We also viewed Robert Starling's taster DVD which he presented at the
          AAAPF conference; Starling is looking for sponsors, hopes soon to
          begin filming: "They All Discovered America".

          We viewed Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth", then phoned the
          Rydholms in Marquette who were planning on watching the Al Gore video
          this very evening. The Rydholms have taken trips to the Arctic
          circle, are also very actively involved in mining issues impacting
          the environment around their Lake Superior house and 'camp'.

          Fred said he was looking forward to speaking via teleconference next
          month at the Ancient Earthworks Society meeting on the UW Madison
          campus. He was unaware of the date and time, said a Matt Morrison
          from SuperiorHearlands.com is handling the arrangments. From the web
          site is information for contacting Mr. Morrison:

          matt.morrison@...
          393 West Crescent Street, Marquette, MI 49855
          Phone: (906)226-9849

          Fred said he would appreciate it if I would copy and paste your note
          from the Ancient Waterways Society site. I asked him to let either
          of us know if there will be changes in the AES schedule.

          I'd mentioned Fred's book in a post yesterday to this Ancient
          Waterways Society; books and CD's can be purchased at superior
          heartlands web site: http://superiorheartland.com/

          Jim Scherz will be working an hour or two south of Madison January
          18th, plans on driving up for the meeting. Following a night shift
          at a Madison hospital, I will stick around that evening to attend the
          meeting before returning to Central Wisconsin. Hopefully the group
          will meet two or three hours earlier for dinner (and let us out-
          of=towners know ahead of time).

          I read your post to Jim Scherz, Stan. He said to mention to all of
          you that Gary Maier is an exceptional speaker and not one to miss,
          either---whenever it is he will be scheduled to speak at the AES
          meeting.

          Yours truly,
          M. Susan English
          http://hometown.aol.com/suzenglish/myhomepage/profile.html