One Man's Trash

  • Rick Osmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2008

      Hello Loopers!

      In this issue:

      This Week's Show

      Op/Ed: One Man's Trash

      Events AKHA has meetings scheduled in February.

      *Please send event schedules for your organizations and I will publish them.

      Last week's show:   Discussions and tech trouble

      This Week's Show OLC Diffusion Discussions

      Call in. There have been some lively discussions in the Yahoo Groups this week. Let's discuss them.

      Other news:

      CoasttoCoastAM ran a listener photo on Tuesday of what was reported as an inscription found in central Independence, MO. The characters appear to be elder FUTHARK with a modern date (1888) graffitied into it.  Oh Scott...

      Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis

      Return of prehistoric human remains in Malaysia - 1 week agoMalaysian Culture, Arts and Heritage Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim will leave for England next week to secure the return of prehistoric Cha Cave (Gua Cha) human skeletons currently... Genetic study suggests Polynesians descended from East Asians - 1 week agoThe ancestors of today's Polynesians and Micronesians were probably East Asians who quickly island-hopped through Near Oceania—what is now Australia, New Guinea, and the Solomon Islands—a new gene... Recent findings and excavations in Çatalhöyük - 1 week agoÇatalhöyük Research Project Director Ian Hodder says goddess icons do not, contrary to assumptions, point to a matriarchal society in Çatalhöyük (Turkey). Findings in ... Bronze Age site found in Cambridge - 1 week agoArchaeologists in Cambridge (England) have unearthed the first hard evidence that an area of the city was occupied during the Bronze Age. The remains were found during a dig at... 2,500-year-old sword excavated from Chinese tomb - 1 week ago

      Events AKHA has meetings scheduled in January and February.

      Ancient Kentucke Historical Association
      (502-254-2414) Email: ancientkentucke@...

       February 17,  2:30  Sunday                     In My Home                            Nostradamus new picts

        February 23, 2:00 Saturday                 Falls of theOhio                 Brendan The Navigator

      Op/Ed: One Man's Trash

      A shell mound, also known as a shell midden, is a trash heap of discarded mollusk shells. They are found along every waterway and seashore in North America south of the 45th parallel and in many other parts of the world. If a skeleton is found underneath a shell midden, it is certainly much older than any current or even historical native tribe could trace and was already there when the later people started dumping the shells there. This is important, because the calcium of the mollusk shells helps to preserve the skeletal remains and protect them from acidic soil conditions. The same is not true of the trash heaps and landfills we generate today. The county landfill at Cahokia just undertook an expansion that will cover at least three known burial sites. This is the antithesis of preservation and it is appalling and shameful.

      In the eyes of archeology, any culture, including our own, is defined by its trash. Anthropologists use a more comprehensive list of descriptors. To the far future archaeologists, we will likely be known collectively as the Plastic Diaper Cculture, with various areas of the continent receiving more specialized designations: Central Florida will be known as the center  of the Eastern Mouse Culture with its ample evidence of worshiping a stylized rodent figure. Similar icons found in the Los Angeles basin, the Western Mouse Culture, will be considered evidence of cultural diffusion by some, but will be dismissed by scholars as parallel cultural development. Huntsville will be known as the Longneck  Bottle Culture. New Orleans, once those future archaeologists are able to dive on that inundated city site, will be called Plastic Bead LandSeattle, with its biodegradable packaging, corrosion prone and damp environment will be forgotten altogether under hundreds of millions of tons of volcanic ash from Mt. Ranier...

      Notice that none of those designations comes close to describing our culture, i.e., our art, music, prose, clothing, religious beliefs, humor, politics, joys, or sorrows, just our trash. We only recognize the descriptions because we are living in that culture. Someone uncovering the articles used to form those names wouldn't have a clue what all those items truly represent. Yes, occasionally, we'll toss out a cracked religious icon, Halloween costume, ragged jokebook, or decrepit piano. Those things are clues to our culture that ended up on the trash heap because they were no longer wanted or functional, they are not themselves our culture. They are not only not precious to us, they hold no particular value. They're trash. The same holds true for the items found in shell middens (or any midden), they were thrown out as trash.

      The same is not true of burial mounds, ceremonial mounds, effigy mounds or their contents, such as at Cahokia. They do not contain trash, other than the stray plastic straw from the visitors' center, and any article found in them was placed there with some great amount of care, honor, and purpose. These items were precious. Many items were likely made specifically to be buried in that mound the way we assemble a time capsule. The major difference being, our time capsules are intended to be opened in a hundred years while we still have a chance of fully understanding and appreciating the contents.

      Discarded, broken projectile points and flakes were once as ubiquitous as discarded plastic straws are today. I have a wooden cigar box full of them and I call that box my "treasure chest". Which only serves to prove the truism, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

      Site of the week : The Last Viking (I really enjpyed this narrative)

      Did you receive this newsletter from someone else and would you like to receive it regularly? If so please send an email to oz@..., subject "Subscribe"

      Thanks for listening

      Your host
      Rick Osmon, aka Oz
      http://oopaloopacafe.com to find great info about guests and previous shows

      http://blogtalkradio.com/oopa-loopa-cafe to listen to the live shows and join the chat

      Call in during show (646) 652-2720

      Mobile (not during live show, please) (812) 259-1102