Old Copper Culture web site-Kentucky coal mining

  • Susan English
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2006
      Speaking of a mineralogical group, Stan, below is a phenominal web site
      set up by a very elderly, recently retired veterinarian in Wausau,
      Wisconsin where I reside have of the week and his son. Though not
      diffusionists, per se, Dr. Johnson and his son (I believe from St.
      Louis) have an exceptional collection of artifacts from both the
      ancient and historic mining eras in the Great Lakes.

      http://www.copperculture.homestead.com/

      Doc welcomes tours and has had many groups of school children as well
      as researchers, professors from distant parts of the country. When I
      accompanied Ancient American friends there a couple of years ago,
      Marquette historian Fred Rydhom interviewed Doc Johnson to include in
      his now, recently-released book.

      Dr. Johnson and his wife were also very active in an international gem
      and mineral society and much of that collection is also on display in
      the basement.

      Anyone driving through Central Wisconsin who would like to visit Dr.
      Johnson's basement old copper museum before the collection is
      eventually moved south to the son's collection, I would be happy to set
      up a time with the Johnson's.

      Susan English
      beldingenglish@...
    • minnesotastan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2006
        I had previously encountered that website, which certainly is, to my
        knowledge, the premier Copper Culture artifact collection online.
        Those who haven't clicked on the link should do so, and gaze in awe at
        the material assembled there.

        Here's another link re Copper Culture - this one less reality-based
        and a little more toward the "fringe" (but still interesting)...

        http://www.geocities.com/stoahist/Acheron.html