Re: Underwater "structure" in NW Wis?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
      Steve Garcia., Herb, and All

      I see from the enlargement in your (Steve G.'s) email what you are
      referring to and perhaps send the enlargement to Herb's emailbox, too.
      With the imprint of the green into the circle on the unenlarged photo
      on Herb's web site, I am wondering if Herb might have laid a circular
      tripod or other poles into silt/mud into the river bottom at that
      spot to cause the imbedded circular 'ring' since Herb has the photos
      and was there. Herb, is there a lot of silt in parts of the river,
      and what do you think? I was snorkeling at Rock Lake near Madison
      years ago after a sweat lodge by a bunch of New Agers after reading
      Frank Jospeh's Pyramids of Rock Lake book. Deep, deep silt, and he
      speaks of the difficulty of investigating rock or any other
      structures beneath deep, still water such as lakes, esp. in
      agricultural or urban areas.

      Sorry I am posting so much but at a dormant time away
      from 'fieldwork' and most of us are up at least to our knees in snow,
      isn't this armchair line of inquiry interesting? Remember that some
      of this group's data can be applied to other, future leads and
      avenues of investigation.

      Welcome new member Richard from MA (Maine or Massechucetts?)

      Susan

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Garcia