Re: Underwater "road" or "structure"?

  • bigalemc2
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
      Herb -

      Yeah, you got an enigma on your hands, Dude. Good find!

      Yes, it might be natural, but I am leaning to it being something man
      made from a relatively recent time period. To me, that is the Occam's
      razor on this. It makes what the images show make sense in the simplest
      way. Oh, it would be lovely if it is something from the copper age,
      but. . .

      From the images, it would certainly seem to be man made, rather than
      naturally occurring. Those cracks being at 90 degrees (mostly) is one
      point in favor of man made. Nature tends to not do things in 90-degree
      patterns - though one can't rule it out.

      That non-continuous crack in that one spot seem to rule out nature; if
      there were stresses in the stone that caused it to crack along some
      crystalline fault (like a diamond would do), I would expect the crack to
      extend across the entirety, IMHO. I can speculate on ways that the
      break wouldn't be fully across the area, but they have problems in
      themselves, so I threw them out of the argument.

      I think it best to find old records, preferably maps. If man made, this
      will show up there. No one builds without leaving some record. Roads
      of whatever kind are labor intensive, so no one would go to that trouble
      and then not put it on a map.

      I'd recommend also to see how long it extends, as soon as possible. If
      it is a road, there will be much more of it. If it is a stone bottom
      put in for a post-Columbian ford, then there should be some remnants of
      a real road on both sides of the river. It may not appear obvious right
      near the bank, due to erosion, occasional flooding, etc., so looking
      many feet away from the banks might give the best results.

      All this is speculation and - like your thoughts on the web page - can
      get you going in all kinds of directions. A few more facts can cut that
      all way down. The best way to narrow down the possibilities is to go
      get more facts. Take more photos, make some measurements, search under
      and around the vegetation, blah, blah, blah.

      Time to do some detective work...

      Steve
      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
        Steve Garcia., Herb, and All

        I see from the enlargement in your (Steve G.'s) email what you are
        referring to and perhaps send the enlargement to Herb's emailbox, too.
        With the imprint of the green into the circle on the unenlarged photo
        on Herb's web site, I am wondering if Herb might have laid a circular
        tripod or other poles into silt/mud into the river bottom at that
        spot to cause the imbedded circular 'ring' since Herb has the photos
        and was there. Herb, is there a lot of silt in parts of the river,
        and what do you think? I was snorkeling at Rock Lake near Madison
        years ago after a sweat lodge by a bunch of New Agers after reading
        Frank Jospeh's Pyramids of Rock Lake book. Deep, deep silt, and he
        speaks of the difficulty of investigating rock or any other
        structures beneath deep, still water such as lakes, esp. in
        agricultural or urban areas.

        Sorry I am posting so much but at a dormant time away
        from 'fieldwork' and most of us are up at least to our knees in snow,
        isn't this armchair line of inquiry interesting? Remember that some
        of this group's data can be applied to other, future leads and
        avenues of investigation.

        Welcome new member Richard from MA (Maine or Massechucetts?)

        Susan

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Garcia