Re: Underwater "road" or "structure"?

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
      Steve,

      Excellent letter you wrote to Herb...and you are right that Herb's
      photos look more man-made that the Bimini Road. Herb, I'd probably
      not even spend much time looking at Bimini. That was the only
      underwater I'd seen I felt was similar.

      The little archeological web site I sent, and even moreso, Steve's
      astute ideas and insights in his post below have provided a finer
      knowledge base of things to look for than hours of web sites, old
      literature I glanced at. Likely divers David Hatcher-Childress, Frank
      Joseph, and Wayne have sites more similar to those in your photo.I
      just sent them your links, too. All of these fellows are friends yet
      also complimentary magazine competitors (Ancient American and
      Adventures Unlimited), and I hope will watch the site and do a bit of
      research along with those here who are intriqued, and especially be
      following Herb's progress, come Spring.

      Susan

      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "bigalemc2"
      <puppet@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > 11. Are the edges of the entire stone area natural-looking?
      > 12. How level is the top surface?
      > 13. How deep are the stones set into the river bottom?
      > 14. Is there more than one layer? (This mirrors your idea that
      they
      > may be the roof of a structure.)
      >
      > 15. What underlies the stone area?
      >
      > 16. Does the alignment follow along the bottom of the river bed?
      > Across it? At an angle?
      > Some of these are trite questions, but these and more need to be
      asked
      > to determine if the formation is natural.
      >
      > Photo #2 and #3: I do not see any stone in those.
      >
      > Photo #4 - all the same questions and comments apply as to photo #1,
      > plus:
      >
      > 1. This one raised my eyebrows. A LOT.
      > 2. This pattern would be difficult to argue as natural
      > 3. The right angles are quite evident
      > 4. The alignment of the cross joints is amazing if naturally
      formed
      > 5. The two narrower stones have nearly aligned cracks on both
      sides,
      > which make it hard to argue for natural formation
      > 6. The crack between the larger stone and the one 'above' it
      seems
      > not to have parallel sides, which would tend to argue it is
      naturally
      > formed
      > 7. The top surface does seem to be essentially flat, if not
      level
      > Photo #5 - all the same questions and comments apply as to photo #1
      and
      > #4, plus:
      >
      > 1. The pattern is definitely rectilinear
      > 2. This seems to suggest a long, linear pattern to the area,
      similar
      > to a road or a paved ford
      > 3. Are the long cracks parallel? If so, to what degree?
      > 4. The 'roadway' seems to be crowned. Is that an illusion or
      true?
      > 5. One stone in the top of the photo does not match up crack-to-
      crack
      > with those around it, in the simplest rectilinear pattern. The
      mating
      > one on the right is actually two stones. Does this occur
      elsewhere?
      > (This seems to suggest that natural forces did not crack the two on
      the
      > right, since the natural force would also have been trying to crack
      the
      > single one, too.)
      >
      > Photos #4 and #5 are pretty amazing.
      >
      > Old maps would seem to be the order of the day, to see if any show
      any
      > road here known to early settlers or to known industries in the
      area.

      > You have to show that these are not known to anyone at any earlier
      time.
      > I suggest reading this book: The Island of Seven Cities: Where the
      > Chinese Settled When They Discovered America
      Discovered/dp/0312362\
      > 056/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200295531&sr=8-1> . The
      > author went through the same kind of proving out - to himself - that
      > your site will pretty much need to do. He assumed that the site
      he'd
      > found was known to earlier settlers, then exhausted every one of
      those
      > possibilities. What was left was not what he had ever considered
      > possible, but it turned out to be the probable answer.
      >
      > I do not profess to have covered all the possible questions, nor to
      have
      > any great insight into anything about this. If any of the above
      helps
      > you in your thinking, Herb, go for it.
      >
      > Steve Garcia

    • Stephen Garcia
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
        Susan -

        I noted the comment by Chris and that particular photo, too, but - maybe it is my old fogy eyes - all I see is a long leaf curled up.  I saw the round thing and wanted to see something there, but that is all I see.  Is it actually something IN the stone?  Or is it an optical illusion?

        I mean, it seems essentially the same color as the undersides of the other leaves in the photo.

        At the same time, I DID wonder why Herb took the picture.  If not for that, then what for?  My only guess was to show the tangle he had to swim through.

        But if it is a really something in the stone, that is, of course, a different story.

        ***
        Okay:  I saved the  image to my hard drive, then opened it in a graphics program and zoomed in on that 'circle'.  It appears to me to be a loop in a continuation - the end - of the long, slender leaf that stretches diagonally across the image in a slightly sinuous pattern from the lower left.  I can even follow the leaf between the two - the sinuous part and the loop at the end.

        There even seems to be another leaf below it.

        Here is the enlargement of that area:

        Somebody tell me I am wrong...

        Herb?  Did you actually see something there?  Was this something on the photo when you saw it later?

        Steve Garcia

        Susan wrote:

        Herb, Steve, and All,

        When I first opened the email reply from Christopher it had on the
        page one of your little photos. Now it isn't and it boggles my mind.
        But I see what he was referreing to. Maybe Steve Garcia does, too.
        He is an engineer and long into ancient studies. Steve is a longtime
        personal friend of Christopher Dunn, Hatcher Childress and some of
        their associates while I am more an acquaintence through conferences.

        Do you fellows and members at this message board see the circle
        within the green reedy photo on Herb's new web page (within the
        paragraph "That day, chilled by the...")?

        Dunn had written..."This photograph has a round depression in it that
        looks remarkably precise. Can you find out more? Thanks, Chris"
        __

      • bigalemc2
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
          Herb -

          Yeah, you got an enigma on your hands, Dude. Good find!

          Yes, it might be natural, but I am leaning to it being something man
          made from a relatively recent time period. To me, that is the Occam's
          razor on this. It makes what the images show make sense in the simplest
          way. Oh, it would be lovely if it is something from the copper age,
          but. . .

          From the images, it would certainly seem to be man made, rather than
          naturally occurring. Those cracks being at 90 degrees (mostly) is one
          point in favor of man made. Nature tends to not do things in 90-degree
          patterns - though one can't rule it out.

          That non-continuous crack in that one spot seem to rule out nature; if
          there were stresses in the stone that caused it to crack along some
          crystalline fault (like a diamond would do), I would expect the crack to
          extend across the entirety, IMHO. I can speculate on ways that the
          break wouldn't be fully across the area, but they have problems in
          themselves, so I threw them out of the argument.

          I think it best to find old records, preferably maps. If man made, this
          will show up there. No one builds without leaving some record. Roads
          of whatever kind are labor intensive, so no one would go to that trouble
          and then not put it on a map.

          I'd recommend also to see how long it extends, as soon as possible. If
          it is a road, there will be much more of it. If it is a stone bottom
          put in for a post-Columbian ford, then there should be some remnants of
          a real road on both sides of the river. It may not appear obvious right
          near the bank, due to erosion, occasional flooding, etc., so looking
          many feet away from the banks might give the best results.

          All this is speculation and - like your thoughts on the web page - can
          get you going in all kinds of directions. A few more facts can cut that
          all way down. The best way to narrow down the possibilities is to go
          get more facts. Take more photos, make some measurements, search under
          and around the vegetation, blah, blah, blah.

          Time to do some detective work...

          Steve
          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
            Steve Garcia., Herb, and All

            I see from the enlargement in your (Steve G.'s) email what you are
            referring to and perhaps send the enlargement to Herb's emailbox, too.
            With the imprint of the green into the circle on the unenlarged photo
            on Herb's web site, I am wondering if Herb might have laid a circular
            tripod or other poles into silt/mud into the river bottom at that
            spot to cause the imbedded circular 'ring' since Herb has the photos
            and was there. Herb, is there a lot of silt in parts of the river,
            and what do you think? I was snorkeling at Rock Lake near Madison
            years ago after a sweat lodge by a bunch of New Agers after reading
            Frank Jospeh's Pyramids of Rock Lake book. Deep, deep silt, and he
            speaks of the difficulty of investigating rock or any other
            structures beneath deep, still water such as lakes, esp. in
            agricultural or urban areas.

            Sorry I am posting so much but at a dormant time away
            from 'fieldwork' and most of us are up at least to our knees in snow,
            isn't this armchair line of inquiry interesting? Remember that some
            of this group's data can be applied to other, future leads and
            avenues of investigation.

            Welcome new member Richard from MA (Maine or Massechucetts?)

            Susan

            --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Garcia