Underwater "road" or "structure"?

  • herbswoods
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 12, 2008
      Group:

      Months ago I posted about an underwater discovery I made last summer
      in Northern Wisconsin of a possible underwater road. I promised photos
      and finally found time to whip up a webpage containing a few images of
      this unusual feature. Please visit the following link and tell me what
      you think. It's still in somewhat rough form, but I would like your
      opinion on the following:

      Right now I'm calling it a "road" or "causeway." But upon
      consideration I really don't know what it is, so maybe I should change
      it to "possible structure of some kind" that looks like an ancient
      road, although it may well have a natural explanation as I also state.

      Thanks!

      http://www.atthecreation.com/ROAD/UNDERWATER.RD.html
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 12, 2008
        Herb,

        A very well-written web site, "Discovery of an Underwater Prehistoric
        Road in Northwest Wisconsin?", and the photographs absolutely knocked
        my socks off.

        I moved to Hurley, WI/Ironwood, MI during the late 50's, later lived
        a short time in Superior, WI. I fished brushy trout streams and
        larger Lake Superior tributaries but never saw anything remotely
        resembling what is shown in your photographs.

        Except when helping with two Ancient American Magazine conferences
        out West late 80's, early 90's when viewing photographs that divers
        Dr. William Donato (Washington State)and Frank Joseph had depicting
        the underwater "Bimini Road" near the Bahamas. One or two of your
        photos reminded me of the precisely fitted rectangular blocks, though
        yours seem smaller in size.

        Herb, about how wide and long were some of the paved surfaces you
        uncovered and did any branch off or come to a dead end? Did you see
        anything that resembled burial sites, stone or earthen mounds, rock
        piles, stone walls, etc.? Are any of the structures out on higher
        ground where logging occurred?

        The reason I ask was, that a few years ago a friend was surveying in
        a very remote location northeast of where you are talking about and
        discovered (has been ever since trying to what remains of a number of
        old, possibly ancient stone walls on wilderness land off the beaten
        path of old logging roads. Every wall also had large, surrounding
        stone piles or mounds nearby.

        One stone wall, half-covered with earth, grass, overgrown brush leads
        eerily down and well into a fairly deep lake. I never looked to see
        if there was anything like a road under the thick overgrowth and
        swampy shoreline. The sites I have investigated with him since lie
        within a mile of present day Lake Superior shores. I practically had
        to take a blood oath of secrecy until protection can be given to the
        sites, undoubtedly could never find the areas again. I am urging that
        photographs and carbon-dating be done soon so data and reports can be
        put together and the knowledge put to public use.

        It seems wise at this time you are keeping the whereabouts of the
        location quiet and I applaud your reverent intent to maintain the
        integrity of landscape and waterways, as you portray and describe so
        beautifully on your web sites. Little true wilderness remains any
        more. Many of us know of even well-intended diffusionist researchers
        who have wrought irreversible damage on the landscape searching for
        and/or removing artifacts for public and private museums and displays.

        Web sites such as this help many of us continue considering
        possibilites by sharing and putting together clues to this larger
        landscape of human habitation, possibly extending our history of
        these areas far back not only into early historic but very ancient
        past. I hope others enjoy Herb's web sites as much as I and perhaps
        will speculate about the photos. Please keep us posted on this
        exploration.
        _________________

        I miss hearing recent updates from Georgian member Jamie Clark re:
        the hundreds of seemingly old/ancient stone bird heads discovered a
        year or two in caves and sinkholes on private property. He weemed to
        be doing an excellent job fielding questions for the landowner and
        maintaining anonymity of the site location.

        Thanks for keeping us informed, Herb.

        Susan English

        --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "herbswoods"

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 13, 2008
          Susan and others:

          I've changed the wording in the webpage from "road" to "structure"
          because really: What is it?

          I don't know the answer; perhaps other members can give their opinions
          and ideas.

          Upon looking at the photos some more, it occurs to me that if it is
          artificial in origin, it could be the TOP of a much larger and mostly
          buried structure. That is almost too extreme a position to take, but
          the possibility cannot be ignored.

          What I need to find are photos of actual human-built ruins or ancient
          roads that show similar "construction" to this site (in quotes
          because, again, it might well be natural in origin and probably is.)

          The overall size of the (exposed) portion of the site was relatively
          small, but I did not measure it. Trying to recall, I'd guess it was
          maybe 15-20 feet wide and maybe 30-50 feet long. Maybe larger. The
          stones were of various sizes, some large enough to be impossible for
          one man to move them, or even two men to move them, but that's just
          rough guesswork.

          I did not see anything else nearby: no mounds, pyramids, etc., but
          like I wrote, the surrounding area was dense vegetation and I did not
          explore it at all. My entire focus was on the "structure" itself. Nor
          did I explore the surrounding upland areas.

          If it's an artificial structure, somebody put a LOT of effort into
          building it and without any sign of modern tools or materials. One
          person could NOT have built it. If artificial, the purpose or intent
          of the site remains a puzzle and a mystery.

          H.W.

          --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 13, 2008
            Herb,

            Last night I forwarded your website to a friend, Christopher Dunn
            whom I met through the World Explorer's Club in Kempton, Illinois
            (David Hatcher Childress who many feel is Thor Heyerdahl's (Kon Tiki)
            protege.) He and Dunn are close, longtime friends, as is engineer
            Steve Garcia from Ancient Waterways Society, who also expressed
            interest in your findings to me via email last evening.

            Dunn is a member of the impressive Board of Directors for the Great
            Pyramid of Giza Research Association (http://www.gizapyramid.com/)and
            has published a best-sellling book on the Great Pyramid, The Giza
            Power Plant-Technologies of Ancient Egypt". Of numerous magazine
            articles, one you might be particularly interested in is "Advanced
            Machining in Ancient Egypt".

            Christopher also drove over from his home in Danville, Illinois to
            the Ohio AAAPF/Thor/Midwest Epigraphic Society Conference last
            October as one of our speakers. If you or other Ancient Waterways
            Society members want to read more about Dunn, his web site is:

            http://www.gizapyramid.com/BIO-Dunn.htm

            I and many with whom I am affiliated have found Dunn to carry the
            utmost integrity, both personally and professionally.

            Anyway, I knew he would be interested in Herb's photographs and web
            site, so sent a note to him last night. This morning received the
            following reply w/inclusion of one of the green weedy photos. See if
            any of you can spot what he is referring to; I'd not noticed it, but
            can see the circle below the weeds. Herb, can you find that exact
            site again in your excursion back there next spring???

            Susan

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 13, 2008
              Herb, All,

              I am going to throw in a couple of web links here in response to your
              inquiry about possible links on ancient roads, ruins, etc. that
              relate to this fun new NW Wisconsin mystery.

              1. I will let those interestedeted Google "Bimini Road" to check out
              photos...not very similar but a couple of photos I recall seeing a
              few years ago showed a more similar stretch of rectangular stones to
              Herb's photos. Rick "Oz" in our group interviewd William Donato on
              Oopa Loopa Cafe radio recently. I was on a Red Cross mission then
              and have not listened to the program from the archives. But Donato
              and Frank Joseph from Ancient American are both divers, longtime
              friends. I mentioned before Bill was at at least two Ancient American
              conference years ago out West; I saw some of his photos of Bimini
              then.

              But possibly more interesting, Herb and those of you who will be
              following his progress is the following article, listed under the
              title Ancient Archaeology, "BIMINI ROAD, ANALYSIS" from A SCIENTIFIC
              SELECTION OF WEB INFORMATION ON ANCIENT UNDERWATER RUINS AND OTHER
              REMARKABLE FINDS:

              http://www.altarcheologie.nl/index.html?
              underwater_ruins/bimini/bimini_analysis.htm

              Starts very interestingly: "Firstly one should not be confused by the
              word "road", this is only a convenient looking name given by the
              first discoverers. One should see the road initially just as what it
              is: a collection of stones. The question is: are the shape and
              arrangement of these stones such that they are artificial, made by
              man. The usual arguments for this are: regularity, straight lines
              (not circles, nature is pretty good at making circles), some kinds of
              symmetry (not all: natural crystals can also be symmetric, but they
              are usually not bigger than a decimeter), and the like."...

              I will let you read the rest. The article refers to an ocean rock
              structure but likely the same rules apply. (I feel as though I am in
              school again).

              2. Possibly not relative, but something to consider since the article
              stems from an area in close approximation to Herb's tributary of Lake
              Superior re: a wooden crib from the 1870's that washed up on a Duluth
              shore. It mentions something about a "stone road on top". To me, all
              diagrams, photos of rocks don't show anything that even resembles the
              precision of Herb's underwater pattern of large rectangular stones.

              Article is called "Duluth Chapter Helps With Washed Up Crib":

              http://www.glsps.org/crib_project/duluth_crib_project.htm

              What I think it does tell us, though, is that 1800's structures as
              such were likely partially or fully constructed of logs or wood.
              Another example along Lake Superior where I often am the only one
              camping is at Misery Bay was formerly called "Carver's Bay or Carver
              Bay" after explorer Jonathan Carver who Herb discusses in his web
              sites. There is also an Amazon.com book called "Misery Bay and Other
              Stories from Michigan's Upper Peninsula" listed under Mysteries &
              Horror. I'll vouch for that part when camping alone late some
              nights...where the Misery River and Misery Bay come together. I
              generally don't reveal my favorite private camping and kayak spots,
              but this link and photos will show you how remote and beautiful it
              is. Just before the road to Misery Bay turns gravel, on the left in
              front of an old wooden church (turned town hall), along the road is
              an open spigot of pure, artesian water continuously spewing out for
              anyone in the world to help themselves to, and I usually take up
              thirty or fory empty gallon bottles:

              http://hunts-upguide.com/toivola_misery_bay.html

              Misery Bay is one of the places I have mentioned before where I sit
              around a fire late at night, occasionally beneath the spell of Aurora
              Borealis and let 'Mother Nature' try to teach me to think more like
              the ancients who might have also taken refuge there overnight. At the
              entrance to the parking lot is a sign that tells of its origins and
              of Jonathan Carver being there, shipwrecks, terrific storms, earlier
              site of Indian battles, etc., hence later named "Misery" Bay. Very
              old U. of Michigan archaeological maps show even earlier ancient
              Indian habitation, burial sites. The reason I mention this site is
              that some springtimes when the snow and ice recede, old historic
              wooden pilings or skids? peek through the sands in the bay where
              ships were once pulled up or docked. I have stubbed my feet on the
              old pilings sometimes, the water so cold things don't decay fast in
              Lake Superior. Sand has filled the bay over time, but still no
              evidence whatever of any stone structures there. Perhaps a good idea
              to put on snorkeling gear (maybe) to get a better look-see in the
              Misery River, Firesteel and Flintsteel Rivers south toward Ontonagon.
              Below that is where I spent my teens toward Little Girls Point, MI
              and over to Saxon Harbor, Ashland, Bayfield, then farther over to
              Superior (WI)-Duluth (MN).

              None of my old woodsman, hunting and fishing friends from the area
              have ever seen rocks aligned like that anywhere, or even that shape
              anywhere up there and I am sure will also be follow the progress of
              Herb and you who get into this inquiry...

              Susan

              <beldingenglish@...> wrote:

              > Herb,
              >
              > Last night I forwarded your website to a friend, Christopher Dunn
              > whom I met through the World Explorer's Club in Kempton, Illinois
              > (David Hatcher Childress who many feel is Thor Heyerdahl's (Kon
              Tiki)
              > protege.) He and Dunn are close, longtime friends, as is engineer
              > Steve Garcia from Ancient Waterways Society, who also expressed
              > interest in your findings to me via email last evening.
              >
              > Dunn is a member of the impressive Board of Directors for the Great
              > Pyramid of Giza Research Association (http://www.gizapyramid.com/)
              and
              > has published a best-sellling book on the Great Pyramid, The Giza
              > Power Plant-Technologies of Ancient Egypt". Of numerous magazine
              > articles, one you might be particularly interested in is "Advanced
              > Machining in Ancient Egypt".
              >
              > Christopher also drove over from his home in Danville, Illinois to
              > the Ohio AAAPF/Thor/Midwest Epigraphic Society Conference last
              > October as one of our speakers. If you or other Ancient Waterways
              > Society members want to read more about Dunn, his web site is:
              >
              > http://www.gizapyramid.com/BIO-Dunn.htm
              >
              > I and many with whom I am affiliated have found Dunn to carry the
              > utmost integrity, both personally and professionally.
              >
              > Anyway, I knew he would be interested in Herb's photographs and web
              > site, so sent a note to him last night. This morning received the
              > following reply w/inclusion of one of the green weedy photos. See
              if
              > any of you can spot what he is referring to; I'd not noticed it,
              but
              > can see the circle below the weeds. Herb, can you find that exact
              > site again in your excursion back there next spring???
              >
              > Susan

            • bigalemc2
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 13, 2008
                Herb -

                Great photos!

                Well, you certainly have turned up something unusual.

                It took me a while to look at these, finally, but I did and am glad to see them.

                I can hardly add anything to your speculations on them.  You've covered most of the possibilities.

                My POV on the photos is that you have good reason to think they are man-made.  They look more man-made than the Bimini road, to me.  The first photo was narrow enough that I thought it was a wash between man-made and natural, but in the latter ones the weight of the argument - IMHO - pushed over to the man-made end of the spectrum.

                Personally, what I like to do is to argue that they are what I DON'T want them to be, and see if that holds water - without getting bozo with speculation and diversion from Occam's Razor, which says that the simpler explanation that covers all the bases is probably the correct one.  More than a few little questions come to mind, so I will lay out what those are, for what it is worth.

                Numbering the photos from top to bottom #1 through #5:

                #1 questions and notes:
                1. What kind of stone is it?
                2. Is there any evidence that the stone(s) was not laid there naturally?
                3. Is the kind of stone present known to crack naturally in straight lines?
                4. Does this kind of stone also crack naturally in such a near-rectilinear fashion?  Some may, most would not seem to.
                5. This photo does not show right angles on all the cracks.
                6. How uniformly wide are the cracks?
                7. If they were naturally formed, is there evidence that all the cracks might have been formed naturally at the same time, under the same forces or influences?
                8. How extensive is the entire stone area?
                9. Does the area extend under the aquatic vegetation upstream or down?
                10. Does the area extend under the river bank?
                11. Are the edges of the entire stone area natural-looking?
                12. How level is the top surface?
                13. How deep are the stones set into the river bottom?
                14. Is there more than one layer?  (This mirrors your idea that they may be the roof of a structure.)
                15. What underlies the stone area?
                16. Does the alignment follow along the bottom of the river bed?  Across it?  At an angle?
                Some of these are trite questions, but these and more need to be asked to determine if the formation is natural.

                Photo #2 and #3:  I do not see any stone in those.

                Photo #4 - all the same questions and comments apply as to photo #1, plus:
                1. This one raised my eyebrows.  A LOT.
                2. This pattern would be difficult to argue as natural
                3. The right angles are quite evident
                4. The alignment of the cross joints is amazing if naturally formed
                5. The two narrower stones have nearly aligned cracks on both sides, which make it hard to argue for natural formation
                6. The crack between the larger stone and the one 'above' it seems not to have parallel sides, which would tend to argue it is naturally formed
                7. The top surface does seem to be essentially flat, if not level
                Photo #5 - all the same questions and comments apply as to photo #1 and #4, plus:
                1. The pattern is definitely rectilinear
                2. This seems to suggest a long, linear pattern to the area, similar to a road or a paved ford
                3. Are the long cracks parallel?  If so, to what degree?
                4. The 'roadway' seems to be crowned.  Is that an illusion or true?
                5. One stone in the top of the photo does not match up crack-to-crack with those around it, in the simplest rectilinear pattern.  The mating one on the right is actually two stones.  Does this occur elsewhere?  (This seems to suggest that natural forces did not crack the two on the right, since the natural force would also have been trying to crack the single one, too.)
                Photos #4 and #5 are pretty amazing.

                Old maps would seem to be the order of the day, to see if any show any road here known to early settlers or to known industries in the area.

                You have to show that these are not known to anyone at any earlier time.  I suggest reading this book: The Island of Seven Cities: Where the Chinese Settled When They Discovered AmericaThe author went through the same kind of proving out - to himself - that your site will pretty much need to do.  He assumed that the site he'd found was known to earlier settlers, then exhausted every one of those possibilities.  What was left was not what he had ever considered possible, but it turned out to be the probable answer.

                I do not profess to have covered all the possible questions, nor to have any great insight into anything about this.  If any of the above helps you in your thinking, Herb, go for it.

                Steve Garcia
              • herbswoods
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
                  Susan,

                  Thanks for the Bimini "road" websites. Of course I've heard of that
                  locale before, but have never studied it and I'll do so now.

                  Notice how I fell into the same first response mentioned there to call
                  my discovery a "road." But after thinking about it, while it does
                  rather look like a road, I don't that's what it is or that it's not
                  natural. For now the webpage is done, but I might go back and change
                  it upon more study.

                  Yes, I too have seen old structures and pilings around Superior Bay,
                  mouth of Amnicon River, and in the U.P. Never have visited Misery Bay,
                  but am familiar with the story behind the name. I have also seen old
                  bridge footings and pilings in area streams, but the site I discovered
                  doesn't look at all like that stuff. Unique and strikingly different
                  from anything else.

                  Also, your colleague Chris asked remarked: "This photograph
                  has a round depression in it that looks remarkably precise."

                  Which photo was he referring to? Not sure what "round depression" he's
                  talking about but I'm interested.

                  Thanks!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
                    Herb, Steve, and All,

                    When I first opened the email reply from Christopher it had on the
                    page one of your little photos. Now it isn't and it boggles my mind.
                    But I see what he was referreing to. Maybe Steve Garcia does, too.
                    He is an engineer and long into ancient studies. Steve is a longtime
                    personal friend of Christopher Dunn, Hatcher Childress and some of
                    their associates while I am more an acquaintence through conferences.

                    Do you fellows and members at this message board see the circle
                    within the green reedy photo on Herb's new web page (within the
                    paragraph "That day, chilled by the...")?

                    Dunn had written..."This photograph has a round depression in it that

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
                      Steve:

                      Thanks for the thoughtful response. I agree with everything you said
                      and all those things need to be done. Photos #4 & 5 are pretty
                      amazing, esp. #5 which shows very precise alignment.

                      You asked if the stucture has a crown to it From the photo it does
                      look like it, but in memory it seems that the structure was level. I
                      could be wrong, however, as I was not there very long. I didn't even
                      try to dislodge or move a block or otherwise test anything. It just
                      didn't occur to me at the time to test anything. All I wanted was to
                      obtain photographs and happily I was able to do.

                      It's probably of natural origin, but it's fun to speculate as the
                      region is a legend-haunted one.

                      HW

                      --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, "bigalemc2"

                      <http://www.amazon.com/Island-Seven-Cities-Chinese-Discovered/dp/0312362\

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
                        Steve,

                        Excellent letter you wrote to Herb...and you are right that Herb's
                        photos look more man-made that the Bimini Road. Herb, I'd probably
                        not even spend much time looking at Bimini. That was the only
                        underwater I'd seen I felt was similar.

                        The little archeological web site I sent, and even moreso, Steve's
                        astute ideas and insights in his post below have provided a finer
                        knowledge base of things to look for than hours of web sites, old
                        literature I glanced at. Likely divers David Hatcher-Childress, Frank
                        Joseph, and Wayne have sites more similar to those in your photo.I
                        just sent them your links, too. All of these fellows are friends yet
                        also complimentary magazine competitors (Ancient American and
                        Adventures Unlimited), and I hope will watch the site and do a bit of
                        research along with those here who are intriqued, and especially be
                        following Herb's progress, come Spring.

                        Susan

                        <puppet@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        time.
                        > I suggest reading this book: The Island of Seven Cities: Where the
                        > Chinese Settled When They Discovered America
                        > <http://www.amazon.com/Island-Seven-Cities-Chinese-
                        Discovered/dp/0312362\
                        > 056/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200295531&sr=8-1> . The
                        > author went through the same kind of proving out - to himself - that
                        > your site will pretty much need to do. He assumed that the site
                        he'd
                        > found was known to earlier settlers, then exhausted every one of
                        those
                        > possibilities. What was left was not what he had ever considered
                        > possible, but it turned out to be the probable answer.
                        >
                        > I do not profess to have covered all the possible questions, nor to
                        have
                        > any great insight into anything about this. If any of the above

                      • Stephen Garcia
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
                          Susan -

                          I noted the comment by Chris and that particular photo, too, but - maybe it is my old fogy eyes - all I see is a long leaf curled up.  I saw the round thing and wanted to see something there, but that is all I see.  Is it actually something IN the stone?  Or is it an optical illusion?

                          I mean, it seems essentially the same color as the undersides of the other leaves in the photo.

                          At the same time, I DID wonder why Herb took the picture.  If not for that, then what for?  My only guess was to show the tangle he had to swim through.

                          But if it is a really something in the stone, that is, of course, a different story.

                          ***
                          Okay:  I saved the  image to my hard drive, then opened it in a graphics program and zoomed in on that 'circle'.  It appears to me to be a loop in a continuation - the end - of the long, slender leaf that stretches diagonally across the image in a slightly sinuous pattern from the lower left.  I can even follow the leaf between the two - the sinuous part and the loop at the end.

                          There even seems to be another leaf below it.

                          Here is the enlargement of that area:

                          Somebody tell me I am wrong...

                          Herb?  Did you actually see something there?  Was this something on the photo when you saw it later?

                          Steve Garcia

                          Susan wrote:

                          Herb, Steve, and All,

                          When I first opened the email reply from Christopher it had on the
                          page one of your little photos. Now it isn't and it boggles my mind.
                          But I see what he was referreing to. Maybe Steve Garcia does, too.
                          He is an engineer and long into ancient studies. Steve is a longtime
                          personal friend of Christopher Dunn, Hatcher Childress and some of
                          their associates while I am more an acquaintence through conferences.

                          Do you fellows and members at this message board see the circle
                          within the green reedy photo on Herb's new web page (within the
                          paragraph "That day, chilled by the...")?

                          Dunn had written..."This photograph has a round depression in it that
                          looks remarkably precise. Can you find out more? Thanks, Chris"
                          __

                        • bigalemc2
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
                            Herb -

                            Yeah, you got an enigma on your hands, Dude. Good find!

                            Yes, it might be natural, but I am leaning to it being something man
                            made from a relatively recent time period. To me, that is the Occam's
                            razor on this. It makes what the images show make sense in the simplest
                            way. Oh, it would be lovely if it is something from the copper age,
                            but. . .

                            From the images, it would certainly seem to be man made, rather than
                            naturally occurring. Those cracks being at 90 degrees (mostly) is one
                            point in favor of man made. Nature tends to not do things in 90-degree
                            patterns - though one can't rule it out.

                            That non-continuous crack in that one spot seem to rule out nature; if
                            there were stresses in the stone that caused it to crack along some
                            crystalline fault (like a diamond would do), I would expect the crack to
                            extend across the entirety, IMHO. I can speculate on ways that the
                            break wouldn't be fully across the area, but they have problems in
                            themselves, so I threw them out of the argument.

                            I think it best to find old records, preferably maps. If man made, this
                            will show up there. No one builds without leaving some record. Roads
                            of whatever kind are labor intensive, so no one would go to that trouble
                            and then not put it on a map.

                            I'd recommend also to see how long it extends, as soon as possible. If
                            it is a road, there will be much more of it. If it is a stone bottom
                            put in for a post-Columbian ford, then there should be some remnants of
                            a real road on both sides of the river. It may not appear obvious right
                            near the bank, due to erosion, occasional flooding, etc., so looking
                            many feet away from the banks might give the best results.

                            All this is speculation and - like your thoughts on the web page - can
                            get you going in all kinds of directions. A few more facts can cut that
                            all way down. The best way to narrow down the possibilities is to go
                            get more facts. Take more photos, make some measurements, search under
                            and around the vegetation, blah, blah, blah.

                            Time to do some detective work...

                            Steve

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 15, 2008
                              Steve Garcia., Herb, and All

                              I see from the enlargement in your (Steve G.'s) email what you are
                              referring to and perhaps send the enlargement to Herb's emailbox, too.
                              With the imprint of the green into the circle on the unenlarged photo
                              on Herb's web site, I am wondering if Herb might have laid a circular
                              tripod or other poles into silt/mud into the river bottom at that
                              spot to cause the imbedded circular 'ring' since Herb has the photos
                              and was there. Herb, is there a lot of silt in parts of the river,
                              and what do you think? I was snorkeling at Rock Lake near Madison
                              years ago after a sweat lodge by a bunch of New Agers after reading
                              Frank Jospeh's Pyramids of Rock Lake book. Deep, deep silt, and he
                              speaks of the difficulty of investigating rock or any other
                              structures beneath deep, still water such as lakes, esp. in
                              agricultural or urban areas.

                              Sorry I am posting so much but at a dormant time away
                              from 'fieldwork' and most of us are up at least to our knees in snow,
                              isn't this armchair line of inquiry interesting? Remember that some
                              of this group's data can be applied to other, future leads and
                              avenues of investigation.

                              Welcome new member Richard from MA (Maine or Massechucetts?)

                              Susan

                              --- In ancient_waterways_society@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Garcia