In the shadow of genius

  • Rick Osmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2007

      Hello Loopers!

      In this issue:

      This Week's Show All things diffusion

      Op/Ed: In the shadow of genius

      Events AKHA has no meetings in December, but will resume in January.

      Please send event schedules for your organizations and I will publish them.

      Last week's show:  David Richarde

      This Week's Show:

      This week is a compendium of all the evidence related to diffusion theory. I'll probably miss a couple, so be ready to call in and correct me.

      I hope you'll tune in tonight, Thursday at 9 PM eastern

      Op/Ed: In the shadow of genius

      This week I had the privilege of viewing some old video tapes of both Dr. Barry Fell and of Gloria Farley explaining their respective work. While most of us are aware of their work, seeing and hearing them explain it to a video camera was an entirely different experience than reading their books and articles. The tapes were produced and distributed by Shepherd's Chapel, executive produced by Arnold Murray, and had clear religious overtones during Murray's commentary, but the segments still present the evidence in a concise and compelling fashion.

      As a young man,  Barry Fell was a radar officer during WWII. The Royal Navy didn't use him to their best advantage, however, he should have been a cryptographer. One of the tapes I watched illustrated his decipherment of the Easter Island tablets. I had been aware previously that he'd accomplished this, but I had never appreciated just what it took. Basically, that script was not only obscured by time, it was also more metaphor than definitive and was a rebus on top of that. Added to that, it was it's own steganograph; the real meaning was hidden in the way the words were pronounced versus the way the words were written. In effect, there were four layers of encryption and Dr. Fell still figured it out using only his own experience and a partial key to only one layer. These lines can't do justice in describing the difficulty or the accomplishment. And yet he was able to explain it in such a way that even I understood it.

      Gloria Farley was one of the most patient and dedicated researchers this field has ever seen. Her one hour video summation of the twenty three separate Old World scripts that she documented during her forty five years of research and in her tome, In Plain Sight, was precise, articulate, and eloquent. The separate hour long video documenting Gloria describing the autumnal equinox animation while on site at Anubis Caves was quite well conceived, but the videography, carried out by folks from Northeastern University, was poorly produced (video work inside caves is difficult at best). I was able to see the solar projections as she described them, however.

      Last night I also watched once again an old tape of the Nova presentation on the "Red Paint" people. In the intervening decades since I had last seen this program, I had forgotten about Moorhead's contribution to the study of this enigmatic culture and what it cost him. Moorhead was "self-taught" and the program brought that out prominently, but failed to explain adequately that, at that time, all archeologists were self taught, since there was no "established" science for the field yet. Moorhead developed hypotheses and field techniques, analytical regimen, specialized consultation with other fields, technological tools (e.g., photography), and theories that his more "learned" colleagues, mostly at the Smithsonian, had never even considered. They still ruined him for thinking that the Red Paint people (now called Maritime Archaic) were a lost race and diffused across the Atlantic.

      In all, I watched eleven hours of small screen video this week, more than I usually view in a couple monthsI was struck with the genius displayed by the three individual researchers I've mentioned here. It was worth every  one of the six hundred sixty minutes viewing time.

      Oz

      Other news:

      Last week's show:

      Site of the week

      Oopa Loopa Cafe merchandise Tell the world you're a Looper!!

      If at any time you no longer wish to receive this weekly newsletter, simply reply to this email with subject "unsubscribe" and I will reluctantly and gently remove you from the list.

      Did you receive this newsletter from someone else and would you like to receive it regularly? If so please send an email to oz@..., subject "Subscribe"

      Thanks for listening

      Your host
      Rick Osmon, aka Oz
      http://oopaloopacafe.com to find great info about guests and previous shows

      http://blogtalkradio.com/oopa-loopa-cafe to listen to the live shows and join the chat

      Call in during show (646) 652-2720

      Mobile (not during live show, please) (812) 259-1102